• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Moving the pivot point using Magos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I was wondering if there is a way to move the pivot point of an object. Right now I have a shelf that pivots from the center and I want it to pivot on a corner. This way I can use it as a hidden door that swings open. Hopefully this makes sense.

I have tried just moving the pivot point and saving the model but when I open it again after closing and reopening the model editor it is reset at the center. I'm sure I'm just missing some crucial step. Thanks for reading.

That's a pretty neat idea. Kudos for that.

Anyway, instead of moving the pivot point, you should just move the vertices relative to the pivot point. In reality, you'll end up with the result you want.

To do this, go to Windows -> Model Editor. Select all the vertices (drag mouse, make them all green, or go to Selection -> Select All), then go to Transformations -> Translation. For this, you'll want to probably translate it either on the x-axis or the y-axis. Fiddle with it and see which one works for you.

Just picture rotating it in your mind. Please accept this crude image as an example:
attachment.php

The selection circle will be off, but I assume you are using this as an unselectable unit anyway. Good luck.

Attachments

• RotateMesh.png
    RotateMesh.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 215
Level 14
Aha! Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for. That makes so much sense now, move the object instead of the pivot point. That's a big ol +rep for you my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.