• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Moved wc3 directory - everything requires admin password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

So I moved my wc3 directory from D:\ to C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III and now a lot of stuff like importing files to WE gives me the error 'access denied' or requires me to enter the admin password, for example when I would like to save a map in the Mpas foulder.

So I assume it has something to do with not having the rights to edit the fWarcraft III directory, but what do I have to edit so I can freely turn and exercise with the wc3 files ?
Is there any security risk doing so ?

EDIT: Adding my user account to the permission list and changing the permissions under the security tab solves the problem.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Haha, yes, indeed, it did. Easy to solve though, gladly.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You fix it like you fix all permission errors. Give your user account full control over the Warcraft III folder. Done in Properties->Security tab.

Modern applications should only have read-only stuff in the program folder such as application data, program data etc which only gets changed with updates. Anything written by the application such as save data, account data etc should go in a folder of the user's account (my documents) or to a user specified folder (eg D:\\My Stuff\). If a temporary file is needed such as to save a WC3 map then it should go into the systems temporary folder path (...\Temp). This is to prevent another user level program (eg malware) from modifying other programs (inserting viruses).

Back under XP this was not the case and so Warcraft III writes a ton of stuff to its program file folder. Under the new permission model for Program Files of Windows this will throw permission exceptions because the user level program does not have permission to change the program file folder. Until Blizzard changes the way WC3 works so that it creates files in a more modern/compliant way the only solution is to change the permissions of the Warcraft III folder so that your user account has "full control" and all other permissions.

Risk wise this means that WC3 can be attacked by malware. However if you put the folder somewhere else where your user account has full control permission this risk still exists. As such there really is not much risk associated with the permission change at all and WC3 in order to be usable will have to be exposed to those risks regardless of where it is located.

Status
Not open for further replies.