• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Morphing makes the unit disappear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I'm trying to give a temporary summoned unit the capability to morph into another unit. In this case, it's an owl into a storm crow. When the owl uses it, it just disappears.

I tried this with both the bear form and crow form abilities.

How do I fix this? What am I missing?

Kusanagi Kuro

Hosted Project: SC
Level 10
So u mean ur summoned unit can transform into another unit-type? I havent seen this idea before. I dont know why ur unit disappears but may be u can do that skill through trigger. May I ask ur summoned unit still have the expiration time after transform?

Level 3
I try to do what you want, but my case is even worst. My Warcraft III crash immedieatly after my summoned unit disappear.
I suggest that you use trigger to remove the original unit and create the new one instead. But i has no idea about expiration timer.

Kusanagi Kuro

Hosted Project: SC
Level 10
About the expirtation timer, the unit will be automatically remove after the timer elapsed. If ur summoned unit has duration, then the expiration timer should be create for the new unit to fit with that duration.

nGy

nGy

Level 11
Quite hard to tell, what you're missing, if we don't know, what exactly you did. Probably the easiest way to solve this, is to attach a testmap to a post, so we can take a look at what you did. (Since I tried it and it worked perfectly for me; even the timer stayed...)

Level 12
the problem is that ... metamorphosys , crow form , bear form ect...
these are not changeing your unit but replacing it with an other, and i think it tries to save the original unit for transforming back , but since it was a summoned unit when you transform its timer disappears so the unit as well

this is my idea of it and what Galdr said, do it with triggers.
But the expiration timer will be a hard thing to solve.

nGy

nGy

Level 11
the problem is that ... metamorphosys , crow form , bear form ect...
these are not changeing your unit but replacing it with an other, and i think it tries to save the original unit for transforming back , but since it was a summoned unit when you transform its timer disappears so the unit as well

this is my idea of it and what Galdr said, do it with triggers.
But the expiration timer will be a hard thing to solve.

No. As I said, it's easily possible with just crow form and does work with the timer. I assume he has made some kind of mistake. (probably i wasn't clear enough xP)

Last edited:
Level 20
Expiration timer is easy thing. You can use the Jass function to know the remaining time of the timer and set that as the expiration time of the transformed unit.

Level 4
Okay so, I was able to replicate nGy's success, by using the default storm crow form ability, instead of creating a custom ability based off of it.

What is peculiar is that when I copy and paste the edited default ability to create stronger versions of the ability, the morphing stops working and the unit just dies upon using it.

Weeeeeeeeeird.

Level 12
Okay so, I was able to replicate nGy's success, by using the default storm crow form ability, instead of creating a custom ability based off of it.

What is peculiar is that when I copy and paste the edited default ability to create stronger versions of the ability, the morphing stops working and the unit just dies upon using it.

Weeeeeeeeeird.

Let us know what you really do to nGy's success. we don't know what is "stronger versions of the ability".

Level 4
I was using a custom ability that was based off of storm crow form before.

When I just edit the storm crow ability that is already in the object editor, then it works. If I don't and create a custom ability based off of storm crow form, then it breaks for some reason.

By stronger versions, I just mean that the crow the unit transforms to is stronger (more dmg, hp, etc).

EDIT: But anyways, I did succeed in doing what I wanted to do, I just had to do it another way (by using the default storm crow ability that's already in the object editor). It's just peculiar why the above happens.

Last edited:
Level 12
Make sure the Old Unit and the Transformed Unit has the same abilities, for example if an owl has Storm Crow Form, then Peasant should have Storm Crow Form as well.

i've tested it, i created a custom ability based of Storm Crow Form, but i didn't give the peasant the storm crow form, so that the owl just landed and died. :D

nGy

nGy

Level 11
i've tested it, i created a custom ability based of Storm Crow Form, but i didn't give the peasant the storm crow form, so that the owl just landed and died. :D
that's actually all you have to do: try and error xP
if you have further questions, like i said, you can attach your map to a post (or alternatively put in the pastebin), so we can take a look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.