• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Morphing into Critters?n

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
For my Shadowkin campaign, I'm planning on the Gladerunner units being able to morph into stags, and be classified as neutral passive critters on the map and by computer opponents until they unmorph.

I know in theory, this should be possible, given the existence of the Mechanical Critter, but I've not been able to figure out how to make it work for a morphing unit. Has anyone here done anything similar or have any ideas how to get the ability working? I'd sooner not rework large doses of level plans and cinematics because I'm too dopey to figure it out. =P Please give a hint if ya can.

Level 2
What you could do maybe is have it summon a mechanical critter then hide the casting unit and ten seconds later (or whatever)then unhide the casting unit and move instantly to posision of the summoned unit. Then remove the sheep. and viola youve snuck behind enemy lines! (btw I havent tried this ) :?

Level 5
I thought of permanent invisibility, but ideally, I thought it would be best flavourwise to have them appear as actual critters to the enemy, otherwise, they're just using an invisibility spell with a different name.

Hmmm.... If worse came to worst, I suppose I could try creating an item using dummy unit to appear next to each gladerunner and summon a clockwork critter, and setting a timed effect before it reverted. I'll give that a go, and come back and complain if it doesn't work. Thanks for your suggestions.

Level 2
Or you could give the unit Permanent Invisibility and create a dummy stag or critter on the unit and when your invisible unit moves the dummy moves too. The dummy could be Neutral Passive.

Level 5
The problem isn't with turning the Gladerunner into a stag, Oz, but making the stag appear neutral.

With the replace trigger or morph ability, the stag is displayed, and targetted as, a player-owned creature, and what I've been trying to do is change this so they appear as neutral passive, just like non-player critters. Unfortunately, short of one tediously long process that either looks tacky, takes twelve ages to set up, or simply doesn't work, things aren't looking promising to even emulate that.

Level 9
I've been trying to work out a system to do the exact same thing for ages. All I've come up with is changing the unit to a second player, which the owning player has shared control over and all other players view as neutral. The only problem is that this reduces the total number of available players.

~The_Raven

Status
Not open for further replies.