• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

More Spell Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
But hey, they're not related to my other spell I needed help with... :wscrolleyes:

1. I have a spell that is, essentially, AyumiLove's Counterstrike ability (see stickied video tutorials). When the Dummy casts the Counterstrike spell (based off of Firebolt), the target is stunned for .01 seconds. This is a very small amount of time, but it's enough to reset their attack timer, or make them target another unit. It is also very ugly visually. This is not part of the intended ability. Setting the duration of Firebolt to .0 will, of course, make the duration infinite. Is there a way to eliminate this pause?

2. I want to make an Exploding Arrows spell based off of Searing Arrows. When activated, it deals extra damage, and makes the hero's attacks deal AoE damage. Setting the Stats - Area of Effect field to, say, 250.00, doesn't seem to generate any results. Is there a way to do this?

Answering either of these would make me very happy... but the first one is the primary issue.

Level 4
1) If you find an easy solution, be sure to let me know! Otherwise, you could try trigger-enhancing the spell and letting the trigger do the damage rather than a dummy spell.

2) You may need to trigger-enhance this spell. Apply a buff to the arrow (similar to Poison Arrow), and have a trigger that checks every .05 seconds of the game for that buff. If a unit has that buff, remove that buff and deal AoE damage centered at the unit.

• Events
    • Every 0.05 seconds of game time
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Pick all units in Playable Map Area and do the following:
      • If Picked Unit has Exploding Arrow buff, then
        • Remove Exploding Arrow buff
        • Pick all units in range of Picked Unit and deal damage

Level 10
  • Events
    • Every 0.05 seconds of game time
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Pick all units in Playable Map Area and do the following:
      • If Picked Unit has Exploding Arrow buff, then
        • Remove Exploding Arrow buff
        • Pick all units in range of Picked Unit and deal damage

Well, I tested it out, and I can't get it to work. Because once you factor in getting credit for kills is very important to my map, that brings in the matter of the buff-er. Couldn't figure out a way to detect the owner of the unit that cast the spell that made the buff, most specific I could get was Unit-Type...

But I understand what you're trying to say, I just couldn't get it onto cyber-paper.

Level 4
Okay, provided that you aren't already using a unit's custom number, you could do the following.

• Events
    • Unit - Begins the Effect of an Ability
  • Conditions
    • Ability Being Cast equals Exploding Arrows
  • Actions
    • Unit - set custom number of (Target Unit of Ability) to Player Number
That way, when you check for the buff using the first trigger I posted, you could add into the actions tab:

• Actions
    • If custom number of (Picked Unit) equals 1 //meaning player 1
      • Have unit deal damage to picked unit and all units in AoE
Sorry for the messy action trigger, but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say here.

Level 10
Okay, provided that you aren't already using a unit's custom number, you could do the following.

• Events
    • Unit - Begins the Effect of an Ability
  • Conditions
    • Ability Being Cast equals Exploding Arrows
  • Actions
    • Unit - set custom number of (Target Unit of Ability) to Player Number
That way, when you check for the buff using the first trigger I posted, you could add into the actions tab:

• Actions
    • If custom number of (Picked Unit) equals 1 //meaning player 1
      • Have unit deal damage to picked unit and all units in AoE
Sorry for the messy action trigger, but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say here.

Wouldn't this mean only player 1 could get credit for kills?

EDIT: Unless you repeated the trigger 8 times, but still...

And yes, I do want an autocast effect.

Level 4
Orb of Annihilation is not an autocast effect.

If you have more than one player then you use more than one if statement, Redeemer.

If (custom number of Picked Unit = 1) give kill credit to player 1
else if (custom number of Picked Unit = 2) give kill credit to player 2
...so on and so forth.

Level 10
Nope, just the numeric values on a few things, like radius and and mana cost.

Here. And I'll do balance-work after I can get it to work right, I know it seems like a small cost for a big AoE.

Attachments

• exar.jpg
    exar.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 55
Level 19
well make it with triggers like Draemiel said in first place then
hmm you will need a local for storing attacker

Level 4
Try changing all the values back to the default values, and then changing only one value at a time to see which one is screwing up. That's all I can really say. =(

Level 10
I'm going to attempt to solve the problem by giving the unit a hidden spellbook with Pulverize (set to 100% proc chance) when it's detected to have a buff given to it by a dummy spell... so, I have to know, with triggers, how does one check to see if a generic unit has a buff of a certain kind?

EDIT: Whoops, found it...

Status
Not open for further replies.