• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

More Spell advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
oK, I've been trying to make a spell been through many toturials and some are quite good(can't send because already made)so I'm trying a make a Water Nova, like the custom frost nova in spells.
I begin quite simple with 'a unit starts the effect with an ability'.

So I go on with the nova is made and when I'm done the Wave stays in one place, the waves that are suposed the move and burst out in little waves.

But the problem is that the primary wave stays in one place and nothing goes on and the unit stays forever.

can someone help with anything. :oops:

Level 2
If u want to make a water effect around the caste you can try summoning a unit with water effects, with Locust skill and no damage at position of triggering unit and order it to move to a point with polar offset. Polar offset is:
(Position of (Triggering unit)) offset by XXX (radius) towards XX degrees (angles).
If the unit is staying forever u can try giving less deadtime (castingtime) or I really dont know why it doesnt move :cry: .

Level 11
I have a nicer idea. If you remember the Naga Royal Guard, he has some ability which casts a wave of water. Why don't you cast eight dummy units and order each to cast at north, east, west, south, NE, NV,SE,SV. It would need a minimum amount of triggers and would give a neat effect. But if you want a circle, you might want to use a dummy unit which has the water elemental model, and the ability which causes damage on death. Then just create units in circle further and further and immediately kill them. ;)

~Daelin

Level 11
Simple... Have a dummy unit with the wave ability. To learn about dummy units check the FAQ. And now for the trigger:

Event - An Unit Starts the effect of an ability
Conditions - Ability Being Cast equal to HeroAbility
Actions - For (Integer A) from 1 to 8 do actions
-> Create 1 dummy unit for ((Owner of (Casting Unit)) at (Position of (Casting Unit)) facing 0.00
-> Add 1.00 seconds expiration timer to last created unit
-> Order (Last Created Unit) to Neutral - Naga Royal Guard - Tidal Wave (or something like that) at ((Point With Polar Offset - Position of (Casting Unit) offset by 100 towards A*45.00)

That's kinda all. If I messed a little fields, try to get it yourself please. If you still can't get it work, post here.

~Daelin

Level 13
Daelin said:
None of them were impressing by now... I don't like DoTA for the simple reason that the heroes are very bad. Anyway, I think I will be back with some spells... as long as I get some ideas. ;)

~Daelin

You are like me eh, i don't really like dota too :lol:. That is why i work on my AOS map now. And guess, i've already made spell exactly like what you're talking about 8-direction crushing wave for my map. I think we have most likely same mind :lol:.

Sorry for OOT.

Level 5
Um... by the way the spell is done check it out in the spell section.
ANOTHER Question
How do make an Aura spell because I was reading and people just cunfuse me. I want the Aura to Actually make the unit to get repelled evertime they attack the unit with the aura or units aroun the caster with the aura.

Level 11
You don't need to bother very much about how to make the aura... Yes, its true that some auras are very complicated, since they could referr to levels and stuff like that. But if you need a non-level aura then its very simple.

Just check everytime an unit is attacked if the unit has the buff, and if it does, just do the knockback stuff. If you don't know how to do this, post here.

~Daelin

Level 7
Daelin said:
You don't need to bother very much about how to make the aura... Yes, its true that some auras are very complicated, since they could referr to levels and stuff like that. But if you need a non-level aura then its very simple.

A multi-level aura is piece of cake to make... It's only hard if you're doing it in a stupid/dumb way...

Solution:

1. Make a buff for the aura.
2. Copy-paste it until you have as many buffs as levels. (Give them editor suffix, thats a big help in GUI).
3. Make level 1 use buff 1, level 2 buff 2 etc.
4. Simply check for which buff the unit has.

This is an example of level detection for aura's, hopefully you guys will get my point:

Event:
Unit - Generic Unit Event - A Unit Dies
Conditions:
Or - multiple conditions:
Dying unit has buff <buff 1> equal to true
Dying unit has buff <buff 2> equal to true
Dying unit has buff <buff 3> equal to true
Actions:
if (Dying unit has buff <buff 1> equal to true) then
Set AuraLevel = 1
else
if (Dying unit has buff <buff 2> equal to true) then
Set AuraLevel = 2
else
if (Dying unit has buff <buff 3> equal to true) then
Set AuraLevel = 3
else
actions using the level var

Note that this is a gui example and can be done easier in Jass (or even in GUI, forgetting the var and doing the actions directly replacing the var with the respcetive level).

- Blade

Level 11
You really think I don't know this simple yet buggy solution? Of course I once tried to make such an aura... And it proved to work. Very well I might say. But unfortunately if you have more than one unit with the aura, and the two heroes are allied, then if they have different levels for the auras they will stack. Which is a very bad idea... It was awful for me especially since I wanted to make auras for melee and when I realized this I had some shock... "Why would they stack?", I thought... But they do and so, unfortunately its not the best idea. But yeah, if you plan to use it in an arena, its perfect. :D

~Daelin

Level 7
Daelin said:
You really think I don't know this simple yet buggy solution? Of course I once tried to make such an aura... And it proved to work. Very well I might say. But unfortunately if you have more than one unit with the aura, and the two heroes are allied, then if they have different levels for the auras they will stack. Which is a very bad idea... It was awful for me especially since I wanted to make auras for melee and when I realized this I had some shock... "Why would they stack?", I thought... But they do and so, unfortunately its not the best idea. But yeah, if you plan to use it in an arena, its perfect. :D

~Daelin

Oh you're right haven't thought of it... I just made an aura for my arena, and there it ain't a problem.. :)

Level 5
OK back on the topic at hand if I make a Aura that repels the enemy unit will I need a specific type of spell like the spell called Rpell nova and will I need to add a dummy unit to that or for my other spell I want to make a ninja disapear like the one in
swift attack by UV I think ,after he attcks random units I want him to go to a specific area and throw a number of blades killing the targeted units I only get as far as the multiple killed units then it just does something stupid like it keeps him inivisble
and the other one it does nothing.

Sorry for bad punc etc

Level 13
Nabzo said:
OK back on the topic at hand if I make a Aura that repels the enemy unit will I need a specific type of spell like the spell called Rpell nova and will I need to add a dummy unit to that or

I think you shouldn't make dummy unit, just apply those trigger function for repel nova to the enemy unit that attack it.

Nabzo said:
for my other spell I want to make a ninja disapear like the one in
swift attack by UV I think ,after he attcks random units I want him to go to a specific area and throw a number of blades killing the targeted units.

Hmm.. just give a chance to the unit when he attack, then move it instantly to random point in region centered at target unit with any size, facing the target unit. Then create some dummy units and order them to throw some blades to the target.

Level 5
Well I need something to fill in the time and I need Ideas for spells for my campaign I'm kinda in a jam this will be one of them if I can get it to work that is. :D

By the way why is that no one can give me one idea for a dwarf spell or snf on thst topic Rui any more great ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.