• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

More Obsidian Desert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Some screenshots from a dungeon/raid-type map. The terrain is not final and lots of work missing in the backgrounds.

180023-albums8637-picture104849.jpg

180023-albums8637-picture104850.jpg

180023-albums8637-picture104851.jpg

180023-albums8637-picture104852.jpg

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

looks cool. where did you get the stairs, archway,the wall and the column model? i want it :)

Roland

R

Roland

Those tubes looks like Churros. Yummy Desert... Anyway, Love the terrain.

Level 34
Are you sure that's not World of Warcraft? ; )

Looks good. I would add more shrubs though, that one model you have looks repetitive and it's honestly not a great model unless you can somewhat hide it's 2d-ness. How does it run?

Level 23
Actually about half of the doodad models are custom ones or standard wc3 models re-textured with textures from Ahn'qiraj. Might not make a difference but it's not all just rips.

Understood.
However, the fact that I can barely see the difference from the screens perhaps tell you something.

Level 11
As far as the doodad choices go, its the bane of all war3 map makers.
Most, if not all model makers only make regular fantasy, European looking stuff.
There is no choice for a map maker looking for a varied landscape and architecture but to resort to using wow models. Look at some popular maps and campaigns which have a different setting than regular fantasy, they all use wow models, edited or otherwise.

Level 10
As far as the doodad choices go, its the bane of all war3 map makers.
Most, if not all model makers only make regular fantasy, European looking stuff.
There is no choice for a map maker looking for a varied landscape and architecture but to resort to using wow models. Look at some popular maps and campaigns which have a different setting than regular fantasy, they all use wow models, edited or otherwise.

lies,
look at toby's, tavalaj's and Ogre_'s models..
especially tavalajs are capable of playable maps aswell (sizewise) they just require more skill to put together than prefab wow models.

Level 11
@lord_Turin, lies? Can be a difference of opinion at best. If it was an attempt at making humor it has fallen flat on its face.

Now.
I openly challenge you to make a Egyptian or desert themed village terrain out of the doodads you have specified in your post. No imports, no editing of the doodads (texture change or mesh modification) allowed. You will only use the doodads you have specified. I will only reconsider my current opinions if you manage to pull off a convincing terrain. Otherwise don't bother me with words alone.

I know what I speak of, I am making an exotic desert world in my current project and I had to either make stuff from scratch or totally redesign existing stuff. If you ever get down to such a terrain, try making a desert town with a few palm trees, pillars and sunken ruin themed doodads or an Asian town with 2 types of cherry trees, one pagoda and a Buddha statue. The results are always unimpressive to say the least, ugly even.
I demand more variety in doodads!

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I have always felt that there is practically nothing I couldn't do in the editor. The only thing holding me back is the time some of it would take.

I openly challenge you to make a Egyptian or desert themed village terrain out of the doodads you have specified in your post. No imports, no editing of the doodads (texture change or mesh modification) allowed. You will only use the doodads you have specified. I will only reconsider my current opinions if you manage to pull off a convincing terrain. Otherwise don't bother me with words alone.
Keiji's Nomadic Waterwell is desert-themed, and the construction style resembles Egyptian architecture. Most of the doodads are from the earlier UTM renditions.

or an Asian town with 2 types of cherry trees, one pagoda and a Buddha statue. The results are always unimpressive to say the least, ugly even.
I demand more variety in doodads!
tobyfat50 made some pretty good Asian styled doodads. Check out the Asian Gardens map.

Level 11
@flad, I agree and I understand.
Absolutely the world editor is a versatile tool and there is little one cannot do with it and with Lego like building block doodads. The issue here is variety and level of skill. Not everyone is a skilled terrainer. I feel that that such people will benefit more with variety.

Secondly, having more variety of exotic doodads won't hurt anybody. I don't see why this idea is receiving such negative reception. If we can have HD fantasy pack than why not HD desert, Asian and jungle (Mayan) pack. *Until that happens, please refrain from criticizing people for using WOW doodads.

*last line is for the terraining community in general.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
@flad, I agree and I understand.
Absolutely the world editor is a versatile tool and there is little one cannot do with it and with Lego like building block doodads. The issue here is variety and level of skill. Not everyone is a skilled terrainer. I feel that that such people will benefit more with variety.

Secondly, having more variety of exotic doodads won't hurt anybody. I don't see why this idea is receiving such negative reception. If we can have HD fantasy pack than why not HD desert, Asian and jungle (Mayan) pack.
I'm not criticizing the idea at all. When push comes to shove I would love a greater doodad selection. All I did was point to that it is possible to do what you described.

Until that happens, please refrain from criticizing people for using WOW doodads.
Oh I'm not. I understand completely why people would want to use them. It's only that I prefer the results you get from working around it to the results you get from not.

And that's because I don't like the WoW style, not because I think it's sloppy work. The era where all recognition came from doing difficult stuff is long gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.