• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Moral question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello,

I know unprotecting maps is not supported here. My question is more of a moral one, and I didn't know in which forum part to post it.

Let's say you would like to add AI to a PvP custom map. You ask the map maker for an unprotected version, he says "no I dont share my map".

What if, because you're handy enough, you can actually do it with the public map anyway. And you do it, on you're local computer and never share it or test it with anyone (since it's AI you can just test it against you or AI vs AI).
Is that wrong ? To me what would be wrong is the distribution part, because the map is modified without the original author's consent and end up online. But if you do it for yourself, and never share it, I don't really see the moral issue. Do you?
And would it be bad to try to send it back to the original author so he can use it if he wants? Even though he didn't share an unprotected map with you.

As a metaphor, if you make a small remix of a song, on your computer, and never share it, I wouldn't see the issue either. I would if it were distributed to other people of course (it could even cause legal issues). And I could also see the author being pleased with receiving the remix privately as long as it is just for him, and not distributed.

What's your thoughts on this? Any opinion welcome.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
What if, because you're handy enough, you can actually do it with the public map anyway. And you do it, on you're local computer and never share it or test it with anyone (since it's AI you can just test it against you or AI vs AI).
Is that wrong ? To me what would be wrong is the distribution part, because the map is modified without the original author's consent and end up online. But if you do it for yourself, and never share it, I don't really see the moral issue. Do you?
If you don't do any damage. No damage is done.
And would it be bad to try to send it back to the original author so he can use it if he wants? Even though he didn't share an unprotected map with you.
If he lost it and you are helping him why not ask him in advance?

Honestly I would feel like you were trying to extort me if you out of nowhere send me an unprotected copy. But if you are helping me, then it's fine.

Level 1
Honestly I would feel like you were trying to extort me if you out of nowhere send me an unprotected copy. But if you are helping me, then it's fine.
I don't really see why that would even be related to extorsion, it's a gift/contribution made privately, and the map is still "protected" (only jass replaced to make it simple). What do you mean? I offered him the bonus AI part, to do whatever he pleases with it.

I say who cares. As long as you don't try to pass it as yours.
Exactly my thoughts! And since noone can see it (local testing only), I clearly am not passing it as mine.

Well the reason I asked is because (and I won't name the map/author), when I told the author in pm that I made an AI for his map, in case slots needs to be filled or just to compete agains AI (with the 3 difficulty level of AI etc.); and told him "would you like to get the code, or even just try it?" he was really pissed. He didnt want to even try it. I told him it's just a gift and I dont even want credits, that didnt change anything. He even banned me from his channels. His point of view is "I told you I dont share my map". Mine is "no one shared, it was a contribution for fun since I had a blast doing it", your map is intact.
I dont really care about the media thing since I never go there but I stood really confused by his reaction. I mean ofc he's allowed to react as he wants, it's his map, but that confuses me : "why?"

Since I really agree I shouldnt distribute it without the authors consent (I could but dont want to), it will go nowhere. Thats not a big deal since I made it for fun, but I was wondering if, as he claimed, what I did seemed moraly wrong. My friends and I (age 40-ish) dont see the issue either, but since they are my friends, they might be biased.

I might add that as a video game developper, I am really pissed when someone cracks a game I worked on to avoid paying for it, but I'm really pleased when someone sends us a mod or whatever contribution he made to the game (quite a rare thing unfortunately), as long as he doesnt distribute it without consent ofc. So I still dont see any moral issue with local mods of pretty much whatever as a recreation (music, games, movies,... unless it's a way to bypass product price). Right?

PS : if someday you recognize yourself, let it be known that it was just a contribution. Unasked for, clearly. And I still dont understand why you reacted so badly.

Level 1
I had a similar talk with one of my work colleague. He said not to do anything yourself, because your Pc could be hacked.
With a single .w3x?
I mean, I dont know much about hacking but that seems a stretch no?

EDIT : to think of it, worst case scenario the map wont open in war3. I suppose Blizzard would be aware if running a downloaded (or whatever) map in warcraft3 could result in your pc being hacked. Maybe you meant something else or unrelated to this?

Level 24
I think it's perfectly fine, I'm much the same in that I don't play multiplayer.
Fiddling with maps, and seeing how they tick is where I derive much of my pleasure in warcraft 3.

The main point of protecting maps was to avoid having duplicate maps with hidden features known only to the fabricator, or other miscellaneous exploits that can ruin experiences for other players; however, there are lizard brained, yella, no-good, scum sucking, lilly-livered, spineless, rejects of society who like to stow away "resources" like fat ass squirrels and think their shit doesn't stink.
If you have truly gone so far as to request it and still be denied, to hell with them, pillage what you need and enjoy it.

Sorry, this kind of subject is such heavy bovine excrement that it makes my blood boil, almost in line with Apple trying to make private repairs illegal.

Level 1
Waouw you go way further than I do. But I admit you just said what is my opinion too, just with 0 tact and strong words. I guess I just "met" the wrong person. I'm glad its not me who was missing a crucial point, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.