• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Monitor Motion Blur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
I've recently bought a new computer and monitor. I've noticed a large amount of motion blur in games. Its mostly noticeable in games where you rapidly rotate the camera (tested games are Doom and Dead by Daylight). I wouldn't worry over it, but its so bad it interferes with the game play and puts me at a big disadvantage. It has a 60 Hz refresh rate, but my brother's monitor is also 60Hz and doesn't have this problem, so its something else. Graphics drivers and windows are both up to date.

I came across the term "ghosting" where pixels don't change to different colors quick enough causing a blur effect. Could this be the problem? How can I be sure a new monitor won't be blurry?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Could this be the problem?
Yes it can be the problem.

Use this to help measure the pixel response latency.

I would recommend messing around with the display front panel buttons. Some times motion blur can be added by the display on purpose and it can be turned off for a sharper image.
How can I be sure a new monitor won't be blurry?
Read reviews and technical specifications. A good review should sound vaguely science like and mention things such as colour correctness, contrast ratio, pixel response latency, post processing latency etc.

Level 16
I couldn't work out how to conduct the tests within your page. Using alternative applications, I received a transition time of 93 ms. I might hook up my brother's monitor when I get some time to double check its not a system or GPU related issue.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I couldn't work out how to conduct the tests within your page. Using alternative applications, I received a transition time of 93 ms. I might hook up my brother's monitor when I get some time to double check its not a system or GPU related issue.
There are two different latency times. There is the pixel update time which represents the time needed for pixels to change from one colour to another. There is then the display latency, which represents the time from the GPU sending an image to be displayed until it is displayed.

Ghosting is caused by pixel update time. A good pixel update time should be <<17ms for a 60 Hz display.

Status
Not open for further replies.