• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Heads in 3DS Max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hey, I'm having trouble making heads for the models I make. I was wondering if someone knows a good strategy to make heads. I looked at the tutorials over at wc3c and that "origami" type of modeling heads was just way too advanced... or strange for me to understand. I model in 3ds Max 9 and I prefer using a box or cube as my start, but I'm open to other suggestions as long as they are helpful to me.

Thanks,
GnoobSauce

TDR

TDR

Level 18
dude, you know I respect you and shit, but what you just said there is utter bullshit. THE best way to improve is to use references. Using blueprints for modeling heads is EXTREMELY helpful in the learning process. If you do them from imagination they'll always come out shit, unless you're an expert in facial anatomy. Photo references are not enough. You must do at least one head from blueprints in your life if you really want to become good at it.

The best is the origami's style for beginers. I myself dislike box modeling since you need either references or a lot of experience.

I'll give you a suggestion, the best is to start in box modelling so you get some experience and learn to use most common tools like weld, collapse, chamfer, cut, etc. Then try jigrael's style, it's very good for producing low poly heads.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
The best is the origami's style for beginers. I myself dislike box modeling since you need either references or a lot of experience.

You ALWAYS need references, there's no way to make something truly awesome if you don't use a lot of references...box modeling is good when you model something without blueprints, and you want to spend more time on getting the proportions right, and it's easier to do that with just a box. The edge-extrude method is good when following blueprints, because the the proportions are already there, you don't have to eyeball them...though I personally still use box modeling when working with blueprints too, I just like box modeling more.

You ALWAYS need references, there's no way to make something truly awesome if you don't use a lot of references...box modeling is good when you model something without blueprints, and you want to spend more time on getting the proportions right, and it's easier to do that with just a box. The edge-extrude method is good when following blueprints, because the the proportions are already there, you don't have to eyeball them...though I personally still use box modeling when working with blueprints too, I just like box modeling more.

Let me correct myself, I need more references in box modelling than in edge folding. I normally use one perspective for edge-folding, when in box modelling I happen to need more( most of the times the 3 perspectives/blueprints, i'm such a noob, :( ).

TDR

TDR

Level 18
I don't really get why you need more when box modeling but anyway, everyone has his methods :p
And again, NOT using references is the ultimate mistake that almost everyone makes...and then people wonder why their stuff doesn't look as cool as the stuff they see on cgtalk...well references make all the difference, trust me...and mastery of the craft too (duh...), but references play a HUGE part.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
by references you mean blueprints and wallpapers or just blueprints? cause it's true that no one can ever make a model without a single wallpaper.

by references I don't mean blueprints, I mean any kind of picture related to what you want to do. For example, if you want to make some kind of strange freaky alien, you might want to check out various pictures of insects, octopus, other weird sea creatures, caterpillars, etc. It really helps you make everything more believable. Just look how fucking awesome this caterpillar looks:
Caterpillar091907b.jpg

You could take that head as it is and put it on a freaky body and that's the alien, and no one would ever know :p. And you have in there all the information you need, the texture, the surface, shapes, etc...
Trust me, EVERYONE in the real industry uses it. There's no such thing as being so experienced that you don't need references anymore. Even the old masters did it, they had models pose for every character in every painting they made, there's barely anything made completely out from their imagination.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
well of course you draw your idea man, I'm not saying now that you must take various parts of various animals as they are and pile them up...that caterpillar thing was a bad example in what I'm trying to illustrate I guess, because what I mean is after you make your sketch, you should look at references for the details and for more inspiration, because I bet you can't capture that in your drawing. And even if you can, using real life reference is always better....if you have a creature with a chitinous shell, look at some bugs and see how that looks...if you have an armor, look at some armor pieces to see the bends and dents and all that details...see what I'm trying to say here?

Status
Not open for further replies.