• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[SD/Modeling] Model repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear modelers, I extracted the special effects model of the Frost dragon's FreezingBreathTargetArt in the MPQ file, and changed the color. It can be displayed in the model editor, but the FreezingBreathTargetArt special effects model is not displayed in the game. Can the trouble modeler help to solve it? By the way, explain why this special effects model can't be shown in the game.

Attachments

• FreezingBreathTargetArt.7z
    7.2 KB · Views: 3
  • _9(}4F)257){5L0P15AL9QM.png
    _9(}4F)257){5L0P15AL9QM.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 2
Level 23
If you edited it in Magos' war3 model editor, it screws up this particular model for some reason. All bone objects and animations ended up deleted.
I tried using Retera's model studio instead, using your yellow texture to edit the standard freezing breath model. Seems to work. Must be a bug with the war3 model editor.
screen.png

Attachments

• FreezingBreathTargetArt.mdx
    30.8 KB · Views: 2
Level 23
Tried converting this to .mdl, seems like the bug is caused by "CoordId".
error.png
After deleting the lines with "CoordId" in them (in notepad), the ".mdl" model is openable in war3 model editor and the bones and animations are displayed properly.
no error.png
Idk what CoordId does but if it's important to this model you are better off working on it Retera's.
Quick search on Hive reveals it's something to do with unwraps like having each material layer of the same geoset have different t-vertex coordinates. The geoset has two groups of texture vertices. Usually you just have one block TVertices 370 {....(then 370 pairs of coordinates)} but in this model there are two such blocks one after another, to have the ice and the dust textures wrap differently. Then CoordId 0 in the first layer of the material points to the first block, and CoordId 1 in the second layer points to the second block. Which war 3 model editor isn't able to handle.

Attachments

• FreezingBreathTargetArtYellow.mdx
    27.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Tried converting this to .mdl, seems like the bug is caused by "CoordId".
View attachment 424679
After deleting the lines with "CoordId" in them (in notepad), the ".mdl" model is openable in war3 model editor and the bones and animations are displayed properly.
View attachment 424681
Idk what CoordId does but if it's important to this model you are better off working on it Retera's.
Quick search on Hive reveals it's something to do with unwraps like having each material layer of the same geoset have different t-vertex coordinates. The geoset has two groups of texture vertices. Usually you just have one block TVertices 370 {....(then 370 pairs of coordinates)} but in this model there are two such blocks one after another, to have the ice and the dust textures wrap differently. Then CoordId 0 in the first layer of the material points to the first block, and CoordId 1 in the second layer points to the second block. Which war 3 model editor isn't able to handle.
Thank you very much. Helped me fix this model. I am a new novice, and I can only use the War3 model editor to change my skin. I didn't expect this effect model to have this problem. I always thought that the effects model would change color so easily with the character model. Is that unpacking link the tutorial you recommend learning special effects model color change?

Level 23
Thank you very much. Helped me fix this model. I am a new novice, and I can only use the War3 model editor to change my skin. I didn't expect this effect model to have this problem. I always thought that the effects model would change color so easily with the character model. Is that unpacking link the tutorial you recommend learning special effects model color change?
It's not a tutorial. That link is dealing specifically with "CoordId" which is rarely used. Generally you should be able to edit effect colors pretty easily with war3 model editor.

Other than changing the texture, there are two other places determining colors of a model:
1) Geoset animations - these may paint the model different colors, in the same way as RGB colors in the Object editor in the map editor. The geoset animation should have the "Use color" check mark. By applying teal color to the geoset animation, your yellow texture color blends with it and becomes green.
geoset anim.pngblue.png
2) Particle emitters (in the Node manager), these have 3 colors for different phases of each particle it produces.
particles.pngRed smoke.png
This is an emitter for the blue cold smoke. By changing the teal colors here to red, it now has red smoke.
This model has different emitters for each size of the effect (Normal, Medium, Large) so you would have to edit all of them.

Particle emitters use textures which can also have their own color, like the Flame4 texture which is yellowish.
flame texture.pngflame.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.