• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Model] Lowpoly Kobold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
[Model] Lowpoly Kobold - map in the final balancing stages. Site and screens inside

logo.jpg

I need a lowpoly kobold unit for a map made by aBys.baltazhar and myself called Winterspring Wargames (in short WSW)

The map is in the rabbits vs sheep style and we are basically done with RC1 of ver 1.0 - as of now, we have a public beta testing of beta 0.80 and it is already rather popular on Garena in the Malaysian rooms. When we are done with the 1.0 we will have a hostbot on Bnet as well to allow people to play even if they cant host.

If you are watching this and wondering if the map is worth it, I urge you to try it for yourself. You can download it on www.winterspring-wargames.com where you can also see alot of screenshots, a detailed walkthrough of all the heroes and items, a worldmap and our forum. There is a singleplayer function if you wanna try the map. Remember that the computer will always have the same "dummy hero" and it only has 4 different strategies but it should give you an idea of the different new aspects of the game. Also, any contributer will naturally have his/her name in the credits and on the site.

Needed animations are:
- Attack
- Death
- Walk
- As few as possible actually

Note that we also need a lowpoly version of a gnoll unit but that request is in the gnoll thread

Lastly, flashing some screens for those too lazy to go to the site first ;)
screen3.jpg
screen11.jpg
screen5.jpg
screen1.jpg

Last edited:
Level 3
Damn - well Im rather new here so its hard for me to have rep. I understand the incitament and that is why I added so much background info - I had hoped it would be enough if people checked the site :/

I have run this through ~400 beta testers and the only complaint (besides 3 total who just didnt like the concept and would never have played Rabbits vs Sheep in the first place, had they known what it is) is the fps drop. Any suggestions on what to do since the rep is non-existant? :/

Level 3
bad triggers are usual cause of lag. thats all i can help u with :/

Nah its not the code. My mate, aBys.Baltazhar works irl as a programmer and he knows what he is doing. The problem is that the WC3 engine was never meant to have more than 200 units of ~1000 polys on the map at any one time. If we can reduce this to 400-600 polys it will help alot.

I appreciate the effort though :)

Level 3
Thank you so much guys. As for the modelling - it really does not need to look that good. The map is made so that it can be played in 2000 distance or even 2400 so detail is not such a big deal. Besides, with many units, the details on the individual will become alot less apparant so losing the backpack for instance for less polys will not be a problem in any way.

Edit: I think that squisher will allow us to drain a few hundred kb from the map as well :) We have used a few custom models for the most deserving parts and if they can be reduced it will be great

Level 7
forget about it, it only reduces the skin causing size file loss.

plus the kobold model is already low poly like really low.

in the other hand the gnoll model could use some editing.

Ill try to optimize the gnoll model.

No, it reduces a model's polies, thus reducing model size and quality (it's unnoticeable, but it's quite good). I recommend squishing models, and as you are supposed to see masses of kobolds, you won't notice the details.

Level 3
How many polies are we talking about?

As few as possible really. I dont know excately how many polys are in a normal unit but as far as I know it is normally 1000-1200 in one unit. I saw an awesome lowpoly footman by happytauren once but he havent answered my messages so I assume he is not interested. Anyway, he made it 400 polys and it looked ALOT better than needed for our map so I would guess that we need 300-450 polys in the models. Backpack, candle on the head etc are nessecary at all.

Again, the lower the better as long as you can still see it is a small monster which sort-of looks like a kobold

Level 3
Wow that looks amazing! Any possibility of getting a larger picture?

Edit: you fixed that :p Any chance of getting a view from the top? Or perhaps the model itself so we can check it out in the editor? As it looks there, it looks just like what we are looking for :)

Level 3
Checked it in the editor and it looks utterly sexy and it is 100% what we are looking for. It was missing the skin but it looks like that is a minor issue :)

Also, nice modelling!

@ Mods: sorry for doubleposting this fast. Hope you get my drift and that this is so that others do not start doing the request.

Status
Not open for further replies.