• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MODEL EDIT REQUEST: Heavy/Light Cavalry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Please replace the knight's horse from this model to a bandit mage's horse. The initial model works well as a heavy cavalry unit (+attachments) however I need light cavalry too for my project. I tried asking @paladinjst but I got the cold shoulder.

Also, if possible - replace the regular villager with the 40 animations villager.

Thanks, rep and credit will be given for help.

Level 10
It took longer than I though. But I think you can use this one.
Untitled.jpg

Also, if possible - replace the regular villager with the 40 animations villager.
It's not as easy as changing your PC's mouse or keyboard, you know. But yes, it is possible. The models are the same, so switching 40 animation villager is wasteful and tiring.

Attachments

• MountedVillagerMan (no Horse armor).mdx
    214.7 KB · Views: 60
Level 11
Phew! For a second I thought no one was gonna help cause I got no replies xD. Thanks a lot! Its definitely usable however it needs some work.

Wow, solid job - looks legit except for the legs. Pretty much everything is there animation-wise. The one thing that's weird tho is the legs and how they move during animations. Also there's a few small gaps between certain geosets, however from the top view you can't really see it so no big deal. I think the weird legs and gaps might be because of the original model though because the knight's horse had a squirt hiding the leg joints.

Oh, switching them is possible at least then? I really just want the archer animations for cavalry archers, however a thrust would also be great for jousting.
Also - is it possible to swap out the knight's horse model with the banditmage's horse model? Looks like you retextured the old horse model and took out the squirt.

Appreciate the help mate, +rep and I will give credits in my map.

Level 10
I just change the texture and re-wrap them, so of course the horse is missing his thighs and knees. Unless you want a close-up cinematic or another view while playing, I don't think they will be noticeable in-game.

Let me elaborate more with your idea: Switching models in and out is possible, but not their bone and animation. That's why it is wasteful when you want a 40-animation villager to change seat with the poor current rider guy. The same goes for the horses, that's why it is tiring. If anyone do like what you want, they may have to re-bone them, then re-animate. It's nearly the process of making a new model. (Im still green in modeling and cannot do geoset and animation transferring; the software is nowhere to find and I know not if they still work)

Level 11
I just change the texture and re-wrap them, so of course the horse is missing his thighs and knees. Unless you want a close-up cinematic or another view while playing, I don't think they will be noticeable in-game.

Let me elaborate more with your idea: Switching models in and out is possible, but not their bone and animation. That's why it is wasteful when you want a 40-animation villager to change seat with the poor current rider guy. The same goes for the horses, that's why it is tiring. If anyone do like what you want, they may have to re-bone them, then re-animate. It's nearly the process of making a new model. (Im still green in modeling and cannot do geoset and animation transferring; the software is nowhere to find and I know not if they still work)

Nice - you did a great job for supposively being green with modeling. I agree, it's not noticeable in-game so I'll consider it solved for now. Although I would like to revisit it in the future because of my perfectionist tendencies.

Aw, really? Thats lame - because animating is tedious and time-intensive. I see... Well, I guess I'll need to find an animator then.

Btw, you can do geoset transfers in wc3modeleditor and mdlvis - mdlvis is easier tho - just select the points copy and paste to another model. wc3modeleditor you gotta select the geoset and export it as .geo (add that at the end of file name when you save), then import the geoset to another model. Animation transfers I have tried and haven't gotten any to work. Also a lot of old files are missing that used to be on the older wc3 forum websites so its tough to find more software.

Thanks again. Keep up the good work.

re-boning is not a hard process at all using mdlvis. it would probably take half an hour max for only the horse - just as much as rewrapping it, like athur did in this case.

edit: i was wrong. it took 40 minutes.
included optimized version, which cuts down the filesize to half. did this by linearizing the animations (making them less smooth - not noticeable in-game - but saving a fuckton of space).

edit 2: didn't see the 2nd part of ur request. athur is right, importing the 40 animations would take a couple of hours. you'd probably have to rely on matrixeater, and do a lot of clever copy/pasting of existing animations to get it to work.

Attachments

• MountedVillagerMan.mdx
    189 KB · Views: 60
  • MountedVillagerManOpt.mdx
    102.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Level 11
re-boning is not a hard process at all using mdlvis. it would probably take half an hour max for only the horse - just as much as rewrapping it, like athur did in this case.

edit: i was wrong. it took 40 minutes.
included optimized version, which cuts down the filesize to half. did this by linearizing the animations (making them less smooth - not noticeable in-game - but saving a fuckton of space).

edit 2: didn't see the 2nd part of ur request. athur is right, importing the 40 animations would take a couple of hours. you'd probably have to rely on matrixeater, and do a lot of clever copy/pasting of existing animations to get it to work.

Oh wow! That model is clean - perfect work, exactly what I asked for. Thanks a bunch, much appreciated. +rep

Hmm, matrixeater you say? I just downloaded it - I'll try messing around with it later, hopefully I can get it to work.

The orc slavedriver's horse texture would probably function better for an light cavalry unit, unless its an horse archer or scout type unit does not make as much sense for the horse to have no armor at all.

Orc slavedriver? Is that used for the heavy fel orc cavalry unit or just a bonus texture in the game files? What's the filepath? I agree, no armor on a horse is not realistic for medieval warfare. Maybe I should just do a custom skin for the banditmage horse with some leather armor or something?

Level 29
Orc slavedriver? Is that used for the heavy fel orc cavalry unit or just a bonus texture in the game files? What's the filepath? I agree, no armor on a horse is not realistic for medieval warfare. Maybe I should just do a custom skin for the banditmage horse with some leather armor or something?
Its the guy residing at
Units/Demon/Chaoswarlord/
in war3.mpq

Status
Not open for further replies.