• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model crashing in Direct3D9 mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Hi everyone,

maybe one of you has some idea why this is the case. The attached model plays fine on reforged SD/HD as long as you don't have -graphicsapi Direct3D9 enabled.
If you pass the option above, the game crashes when that model is displayed, i.e. a farm is built. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Attachments

• farmland7.mdx
    3.4 KB · Views: 14

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I doubt the current version of Warcraft III properly supports D3D9. Blizzard removed D3D9 support from a lot of their games actively as part of a general policy. Further more if one looks at their posted minimum requirements for the current Warcraft III version the listed GPUs are all D3D11 capable further suggesting that they planned to not support D3D9 later down the line.

One possible area to look at is potential API limitations. D3D9 has much lower limits than D3D11 for a lot of properties. Microsoft shows some of these in their Direct3D feature levels tables.

Some of these limits could be quite constraining for modern models. For example Max Vertex Index of D3D9_1 could break large meshes (>>65k vertices).

Level 23
It's a super simple 1 plane model. The sanity tester alerted me that it was missing one pivot point, which probably was the issue.
I have had issues with pivot points before having too few/many might attach certain bones to other models in the game, quite crazy.
Other models work so I think this simple model shouldn't be an issue. I will retest, thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.