• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mist Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I've finally decided to try and start a serious project =)
The concept is this:

The map is for 1-4 players, basically you out in the seas on a boat, suddenly you entered this weird mist. Mislead by the light of a lighthouse you find yourselves stranded. The entire island is covered in a thick mist, giving you the creeps.

Note that this is not the final terrain, changes will probably be made.
Also I just started terraining (though I enjoy it very much)
Also 95% of the terrain will be indoor dungeon + houses.
mistislandmap.jpg

Interlude:

You were supposed to be sent into the war with the orcs, to aid the huntress of Elune and the ancient Draenei at the battlefield outside Orgrimmar, but something went terribly wrong, and your vessel by mysterious means sunk with the crew on it. You and a few people however managed to escape in a lifeboat, leaving the burning ship to the gods of the seas.
Now you are stranded on the beach of a misty island, with the company of some rather odd passengers from the ship you were on, collecting your personal items, looking up at a dark castle, glowing of mystical energies, and you begin walking towards the light of an village, and the questions begins to gather in your head:

Why am I here?
Why did the ship burst on fire?
What is that castle?
Do they make pancakes in this village?

The island appears to be ruled by an outcast wizard, using cruel and evil methods, forcing the villagers to obey him. From the Dark Castle he executes his orders, sending undead minions to collect taxes, watching over the island with a dark eye, using ancient forgotten magics, corrupting the surrounding. The fog seems to be his works, hindering the Aircraft from leaving, and slowly decaying the island, rendering the hopeful Lighthouse useless. You realize that the power of the ancient magician grows for every second, and that he most be stopped at all cost. The only way into the chamber of the wizard seems to be through the Castle Gate, passing past the dark guards and the rotten corpses, into the very hearth of the evil, entering the dungeons and towers of this ancient castle, only to meet a warrior of powers unknown.
Be prepared, for the task on your shoulders is not easy, and the restless souls is awakened, following orders from there Dark Master...

Story:

The Castle of Mist Island

The ancient castle thorns from the horizon, silently warning any wanderer:

"This is not a friendly place, we do not accept intruders"

We were now sure that the Magician must be stopped at all cost, and the feeling of that something isn't right grows for every second you look at the dark spires. The castle was as huge as the ancient mountains of Dun'Morough, and the wall was made of massive Dark-Steel, a material that doesn't only ward off enemy siege engines, but also act as an magic barrier, effectively blocking the use of spell near the impenetrable walls. The task was not easy, but for each day passing, the master of this fortress grew stronger, and soon he would not be stoppable anymore.

The Cellar

We investigated the chances to get into the castle, and from what we heard there was no chance to get in by the front door. Powerful warding magic was making it completely untouchable. The castle was an unknown area to most of the people, but one old man came to us offering his help. He said that there was a hidden entrance at the back of the castle, and that he could take us there with his rowboat. The idea seemed good at the moment, and as the old man looked strong and healthy for his age, we welcomed another companion.

So, after a quick preparation we went away in the darkness of dusk, in an old rowboat which no more than 5 of us could fit in. The trip across the water to the backside of the castle wasn't long, and surprisingly there were no guards there, just a door. Once we opened it, we saw a staircase down, and at the end a massive wooden gate. We gathered for a brief moment, and I tried to boost the moral of the party:

"It must be done at all cost, for are we not proud warriors, are we not the chosen for the war? Are we not brave, are we not trained in the arts of battle? Are we not blessed by the King of Stormwind himself? ARE WE NOT THE GUARDS OF FAITH AND THE INNOCENT!"

With raised moral and a loud war-cry we entered through the door, rushing into an unknown dungeon. This is my time! This ancient evil mustn't be allowed to roam the kingdoms of men!

The Winekeeper

The room we entered was dark, any torches that was here have since long burned out, disappearing with the last trace of any living. A noise caught the groups attention and a second later the old man was struck in half, a giant axe had split him. I felt sorry for him. Lighting a magic flame, we caught a glimpse of the attacker, and surprised we saw just a normal human, slightly dragging himself, while by mystic means carrying a gigantic axe. His voice rose and lowed, and he appeared to be drunk.

"You no tousch mines wines...hic! I hash been givens thisch posht for a reashon, ands you pesht are not supposhed to be staggering around in the dark! Mashters wines are not to be deshtroyed, and if i let you pasht, he will punish me....hic! Shtop it right there!"

Although he was drunk, the strength, will and fear was not to be mistaken. He would not give up for anything, and he certainly wouldn't easily be defeated. This was the first real challenge, and it was about time that I prepared myself, cause there is no such dangerous thing as an dog guarding his meat, but in this case, it was a drunk guarding his wine!

The Battle was fierce, but even though the drunk man seemed impossible to hurt, mostly due to numbness of the drunk, he was slow on attacks, and often got stuck in the ground with the giant axe. As we looked around in the cold room, we saw several barrels, probably filled with wine, and realized that the steam was taking over our minds, this must be done quickly because my vision got worse and worse, I can't speak for the party, but i saw several spells miss their target and we all seemed very much like the Winekeeper himself while we were staggering around, tripping.. I didn't hear who it was, but halfway into the battle, someone in the party mentioned an excellent idea:

"What if we break his wine barrels? Wouldn't the smog stop, and wouldn't his power fade away?"

This seemed as the right thing to do and with a mighty attack I smashed a barrel, just to find myself in a geyser of alcoholic fumes, and my vision went completely blank.

I woke up just a minute later and strangely, I didn't feel any traces of the wine. I felt renewed and I saw that the Winekeeper had lost some of his motivation. Although, what I also realized was that whenever we broke a barrel, we passed out for a moment and that this could be the end for us. Then strangest of thoughts seemed to strike us all:

"As he is so slow on attacks, what if he broke the barrels? What if he destroyed his own treasure? Would he also pass out?"

We tricked him into swinging the mighty axe towards a pile of the cursed barrels and as several of them broke the man didn't seem affected, but as we waited he began striking slower and slower, but due to the fact that he was getting more and more drunk not only did the misses increase but he seemed to ignore our strikes, he just didn't seem to get hurt.

The battle lasted for at least 30 minutes, but when the final attack hit the now fully drunk mans head, he fell down, appearing dead, and dropped his axe, a key, and several artifacts. I, personally didn't take much notice to the items, but looked for a way up in this cursed castle, and i found a staircase of old wood, unguarded, that seemed to lead straight into the hearth of the building.

This is just the beginning :)

About the heroes

Cannoneer

Sharpeye, Stormboy, Hearthless, the nicknames are many, and most of them are rightfully deserved. Mack Falakin is one of the few remaining Cannoneers in the human army, and is one of the most hired Bounty Hunter in the Eastern Kingdoms. Wielding powerful blackpowder-charged weapons, he makes sure that a marked target doesn't escape alive. Be it a Long Barreled sniper rifle, or a high-powered shotgun, Mack never misses, and for rewarding himself after a successful mission, he gives himself an old Ironforge beer. Looking in the cellar, all you see is empty bottles...

(Theme is Raw Power and Tracking, Personality is patient, life-enjoying)

Hunter

The Hunters from Qael'Nesh are not to be trusted, and Diana is not an exception. As a young girl, she escaped an assassination on her family, catching an glimpse of the attacker, and was taken into an orphanage in the Cathedral of Stormwind City, being taken care of by the finest men and women in the Empire of the Alliance. Lighting fast she uses master-crafted bows to instantly penetrate any enemy in her way. By the few surviving, she is called Stormbow and Eaglecall, but her true name will forever stay unknown, and the only person knowing it, is now hunted, cursed by an oath of vengeance, found guilty for murder, and constantly running from Diana...

(Theme is Bow and Assassination, Personality is Vengeful, and always ready)

Brawler

Born by the side of his Father, Josen Hagards have taken over the Throne left by his father. A mighty brawler, he fights not for the ladies, or for the money, but for the feeling. The kick of adrenaline when kicking someones teeth out, the joy of beating an opponent senseless, Josen is always ready to rush into a fight, even with the odds against him, and so far he hasn't lost once.

(Theme is Brawling and Adrenaline, Personality is Cold and Battle-Hungry)

Pirate

The sea is a mighty place, a dangerous area for anyone not friend with the fierce powers laying beneath the surface, but this have never stopped Haskal, no, he have always roamed the stormy oceans with a calm mind, fearing not to die, aiming for the highest loot. His old shipped became a wreck when docked at Stormwind, but instead of being put into Jail, he was given the opportunity to join the guards, as a commander. And here he is even today, longing for the sea, for the winds and for the salt, for the money and the ladies.

(Theme is Calm and Greed, Personality is Calm and Joyful)

Cleric

From the holy cathedrals of Stormwind, Father Garmo have never hurt a living creature, only assisting his allies. As a follower of the true religion, he is hard against the heretics, but kind against allies, mending their wounds with holy power, protecting with shields of faith, but dare the undead abomination that steps into the vision of this calm cleric, cause the rage inside is as strong as his beliefs, buffing his allies to incredible levels, not caring for his own safety, for the god shall accept his souls, no matter what he does.

(Theme is Holy and Purging, Personality is Kind and Sacrificing)

Medic

An old Alchemist, Raskal do not believe in the so called Arcane Magics, but helps his allies by using more approved methods, such as potions and injections. Fearing much for his own life, he always keeps himself in the background, supporting friends, while poisoning enemies. The power of "Earth" may not be as strong as magic, but the effects itself are nothing to do underestimate, as the lifesaving droughts made by Raskal are many, but the life sapping poisons are more.

(Theme is Potions and Poisons, Personality is Cowardly and Helpful)

Monk

The monk of martial arts have never aided humans or elves on the fields of battle before, but as a follower of the king, Huram was forced to join the city guard, and have never regretted it. Focusing on heavy attacks against vital points of a single unit, the monks don't gear for battle, they meditate, restoring their inner strength, mending their wounds, unleashing their soul and body into a dance of Death, a dance that never stops.

(Theme is Martial Arts and Speed, Personality is Calm but Deadly)

Evoker

Born in the small village outside Stormwind, the Arcana have constantly been calling Jeal, begging him to obey it, and granting him powers beyond imagination. At the age of 7, he burned his cat alive, and blasted the family's farm into burning fragments, and he was soon arrested, brought to the wizards tower, meeting with his new mentor. After been brought back to the right path, he now guards the city walls, effectively using the once uncontrolled magics to do good, to protect the city he loves

(Theme is Good/Bad and Arcane, Personality is Suspicious and Afraid of Himself)

Enchanter

As the festivals of life passes through the world of Azeroth, Lilian is used to be giving blessing to everyone from mighty warriors to dolls and cats, giving them power and inner strength, making them pass minor or major problems in their life. Lilian is always kind, and sees the connection between soul and body, mind and muscles, using powerful warding magics to strengthen what is needed.

(Theme is Buffing and Amplifying, Personality is Exact and Patient)

Please note:
I'm not sure if it's wise to have this many classes, if it turns out to be too many I'll merge some of them.

I haven't really decided yet if save/load should be included, I think without it the gameplay would be way more enjoyable but if the game gets too big you won't be able to finish it in one go.

2lavnyr.jpg

1z70zll.jpg

hx118p.jpg

cqhq8.jpg

Please give constructive criticism and feedback as I'm eager to know what too improve.

Recruiting:

Project Recruitment Thread

People currently:

- Frunck (Terrainer, Project leader)
- goliath520 (Object Manager)
- Beland (Story writer, Brainstormer)
- redscores (GUI)

Last edited:
Level 2
The premise of your map has really got me intrigued. I don't play too many maps so forgive me for asking: what kind of map would this be? Is it a Survival? Defense? RPG? I'm just curious. I'd like to give it a whirl regardless of its genre, just because the idea of a mysterious island is pretty cool.

Level 9
The terrain looks nice, but I don't really saw anything about the gameplay, I first thought this was an adventure map where you have to solve mysteries, but when I saw the heroes I guessed you have to do battles(which I like more), but I haven't read anything about special systems, or is it just having a hero and killing enemies like normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.