• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Import] Minimap Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
-- REFORGED WE BTW --

I've tried multiple times saving a 256x256 image as tga (and blp) and yes it is exactly 192kb etc. etc.
Imported & changed the name (which changes the path as well, seems the "set custom path" option is gone now) to war3mapPreview.tga/blp, also tried with war3mapMap and stuff..

Just nothing. doesn't change no matter what.
Help. Please.

:(

Level 2
Just tried, saved a 256x256 image as blp (using BLP Lab), imported & changed to 'war3mapMap.blp' -> still nothing :(
Maybe it has to do with the source image? Is there something I need to do other than changing its size to 256x256 ?

Just tried, saved a 256x256 image as blp (using BLP Lab), imported & changed to 'war3mapMap.blp' -> still nothing :(
Maybe it has to do with the source image? Is there something I need to do other than changing its size to 256x256 ?
Wait, are you trying to change the preview or the actual in game minimap? Anyhow, can you send me the image?

Level 2
The preview.
Attached both jpg & blp.
I don't require specifically this image, but I wanna know what I'm doing wrong in general.

Thanks !

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 108
  • temp.blp
    86.5 KB · Views: 63
Level 2
Doesn't work for me.
By the way, I'm trying with Wc3 Reforged Beta. Sorry for not mentioning.
If it's different, then how can I change the preview on Reforged ?

Level 2
BUMP

So does anyone knows anything about changing minimap preview using Reforged WE & also testing using Reforged Beta?

Level 11
Use MPQEdit to open the map archive, or save the map as a folder and search the files. One of them will be the auto generated image.

Tried both alternatives. None of them contain any generated files, only the ones imported into the WE. It does create a war3mapMap.blp however, which is 256x256 px. But doesnt really help.

Map previews currently do not work in the Reforged beta.

Is there a source?

Any news regarding this?
Eventually, will it work the same as in classic wc3 or different method?

I am guessing it will work when Reforged releases, not sure though. You could also import a custom preview image with war3mapMap.blp and in-game change the minimap texture to the actual generated minimap, but I think Biizzard will eventually add the war3mapPreview.tga functionality back.

Level 2
I am guessing it will work when Reforged releases, not sure though. You could also import a custom preview image with war3mapMap.blp and in-game change the minimap texture to the actual generated minimap, but I think Biizzard will eventually add the war3mapPreview.tga functionality back.
Do you happen to have an update?
Also, I didn't understand what was your workaround using war3mapMap.

Sverkerman

Hosted Project: BoW
Level 17
@TriggerHappy Has the method of changing the Minimap changed with Reforged? I'm following this tutorial and it's not working at all: World Editor FAQ - Work in Progress
EDIT: You are saying "replace the minimap image with your preview" - what exactly do you mean with "your preview" ? What extension should the file that I intend on using as my minimap have and what do you mean exactly?
EDIT2: TriggerHappy helped me via Discord, we found out that the only proper way to set your preview image in Reforged is to instead of using a "preview image" you must use a "minimap image" - they're basically the same, but this also replaces your minimap. The Minimap Image should be named "war3mapMap.blp", the dimentions should be 256x256 pixels and you need to import it to your map via an MPQ editor AFTER saving your map. When doing this, it will work :)
upload_2020-4-13_22-50-40.png

Thanks for the help! <3

Last edited:
Level 8
I need steps, please. What I did was: First, I made my own image on GIMP, and saved it as "war3mapMap.bmp," and converted it to "war3mapMap.blp" on WC3 Viewer, and imported it to my map on World Editor, and renamed the file in Asset Manager as "war3mapMap.blp," and saved the map, and exported the "war3mapMap.blp" file on MPQ Editor to WC3 folder, and went back to World Editor, and imported the "war3mapMap.blp" from WC3 folder in my map, and saved my map again. Tested. Doesn't work...

Last edited:
Level 4
To create a minimap in both Preview and in game convert the image to a DDS file and import rewriting the path to

war3mapMap.dds - for in game
war3mapPreview.dds - for preview

Thx but
war3mapPreview.dds - DOSENT work!
war3mapMap.dds - work but this is not Preview... Any other advise?

Level 5
hello guys,

I have problems to display preview images. What is the last way to add it?

Where to find your tool @Mechanic ? "MPG Editor"?

What you need is: MPQ Editor
An Imagine that is 256x256 in BLP format. You can convert it using: BLPLab (2020 tested and working with Windows)
1. Save your map (back up too) and then close your World Editor.
2. Open MPQ Editor.
3. Search for: war3mapMap.blp within the contents of your map files and then delete it.
4. Import your BLP image that is 256x256 and rename it to war3mapMap.blp.
The Previews are still low quality unfortunately, but it hides your minimap in previews. Hopefully soon they will allow you to upload HD map previews.

Level 5
I'm not sure why it's taking so long for them to implement this considering they already are pulling minimap images from maps and displaying them in the UI.

In any case you can replace the minimap image with your preview and reset the minimap image in-game with BlzChangeMinimapTerrainTex.

How do I create a trigger than runs this? BlzChangeMinimapTerrainTex
I tried using a custom script but no luck. Sorry i've got no experience on the coding/jass side of the World Edtitor at the moment.

Level 9
Just wondering, is there a way to add a preview image to your map in the current patch?

I see some talk above about people succeeding, but I'm not sure if this is about the minimap image, or the preview.

Level 1
Edit: this is about the in-game minimap.

I succeeded! My method is really simple, I figured it out with what some said in different threads. Can't believe I'm actually of any help on this forum.

So what you need to do is :

-Have an image that is NECESSARILY 256x256 size (128x128 does not work).
-Convert it to a .DDS file, .tga and .blp don't work. I used BLP LAB, and it works for the following options :
  • As regards to the Alpha channel, every option works except Remove Alpha Channel (obviously).
  • As regards to the box that needs to be ticked (True Color / Compressed (DXTC) with or without Error diffusion) :
    • True color does not work
    • Both combinations of Compressed (DXTC) and Error Diffusion ticked or not ticked work.
-Create a Trigger with any event with the following Action:
upload_2021-2-11_20-55-30.png

Notes:
  • About BLP LAB, I'm a complete noob so I did try every combination of relevant options.
  • For the trigger, DON'T FORGET the double "\\" otherwise it won't compute correctly.

Hope this was of any help.

Last edited:
Level 9
Thanks Rosebury, with the exception that blp files seem to work too.

I have found through help from the Hive discord channel how exactly to get a custom preview image. It is actually mentioned in this topic, but I will put it here comprehensively.

-- step 1/3 is to make sure your actual map texture is shown in the minimap, and not the preview image
1. open your map with MPQ editor and extract war3mapMap.blp
2. reimport this into your map under any name (lets say: minimap.blp)
3. add the following code to your map: BlzChangeMinimapTerrainTex( "minimap.blp")
>> from here on is the last point you may have saved your map. only open your map with MPQ editor from here on out
4. go back to MPQ editor and remove war3mapMap.blp
5. add a 256x256 blp preview image using MPQ editor, under the name war3mapMap.blp
6. remove war3map.mmp (this file holds the x's that mark player start locations)

Last edited:
Level 5

I have found through help from the Hive discord channel how exactly to get a custom preview image. It is actually mentioned in this topic, but I will put it here comprehensively.

-- step 1/3 is to make sure your actual map texture is shown in the minimap, and not the preview image
3. add the following code to your map: BlzChangeMinimapTerrainText( "minimap.blp")
>> from here on is the last point you may have saved your map. only open your map with MPQ editor from here on out
5. add a 256x256 blp preview image using MPQ editor, under the name war3mapMap.blp
6. remove war3map.mmp (this file holds the x's that mark player start locations)

Ahh i've been wondering how to get rid of the starting locs! Thanks for this dude.

Level 7

3. add the following code to your map: BlzChangeMinimapTerrainTex( "minimap.blp")
This works, but if you protect the map the whole map breaks.

Level 3
Edit: this is about the in-game minimap.

I succeeded! My method is really simple, I figured it out with what some said in different threads. Can't believe I'm actually of any help on this forum.

So what you need to do is :

-Have an image that is NECESSARILY 256x256 size (128x128 does not work).
-Convert it to a .DDS file, .tga and .blp don't work. I used BLP LAB, and it works for the following options :
  • As regards to the Alpha channel, every option works except Remove Alpha Channel (obviously).
  • As regards to the box that needs to be ticked (True Color / Compressed (DXTC) with or without Error diffusion) :
    • True color does not work
    • Both combinations of Compressed (DXTC) and Error Diffusion ticked or not ticked work.
-Create a Trigger with any event with the following Action:
View attachment 373453

Notes:
  • About BLP LAB, I'm a complete noob so I did try every combination of relevant options.
  • For the trigger, DON'T FORGET the double "\\" otherwise it won't compute correctly.

Hope this was of any help.

from here on is the last point you may have saved your map. only open your map with MPQ editor from here on out

Guys can youn explain it ? Step by Step. Because i always get a Syntax Error when i try to save map

Code:
//***************************************************************************
//*
//*  Custom Script Code
//*
//*  war3minimap
BlzChangeMinimapTerrainTex("war3minimap.blp")

Level 19
Guys can youn explain it ? Step by Step. Because i always get a Syntax Error when i try to save map

Code:
//*
//*  Custom Script Code
//*
//*  war3minimap
BlzChangeMinimapTerrainTex("war3minimap.blp")
I am pretty sure you just have to add call infront of it to remove the syntax error. like so:
  • Custom script: call BlzChangeMinimapTerrainTex("war3minimap.blp")

Last edited:
Level 6
I am applying the existing preview application method. What if the gold mine or shop locations on the minimap are visible in the map preview?

Status
Not open for further replies.