• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Minecraft Meets Warcraft!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I have decided to make Minecraft as my first official map!

About me:
  • Terribad at GUI
  • Super Horrendous at Jass
  • Dedicated mapmaker

CURRENT POSITIONS:
-Main Mapmaker: HesitationSnow
-Main Coder (GUI): Rulerofiron99
-Main Terrainer: HesitationSnow (well, using Random Terrain Generation so not much to terrain)
-Main Modeler:
-Main Artist / SFX Stuff:

RECRUITING:
-Idea Producer (I haven't played MC so I need help... but I want to make it!)
  • Fleshes out particular ideas down to the detail on how exactly it will work in WC3
  • Option to Dropbox connection with me and regularly update a .txt file with ideas and suggestions
  • Work out how mining will work and what essential materials + item combinations are (remember I haven't played MC so I don't know this stuff)
  • Even though it's my first map, I do have high standards so go crazy with ideas =)
-Modeler/Animator
  • Not necessary yet, but would be an added bonus, especially when map reaches playable state.
  • Looking for 'item' model of a MC block to represent all blocks mined. I want it to look like this, just a cube using in-game icon of the red question mark, yes I worked real hard photoshopping this cube (we could make blocks for everything if someone wants to =)):
    14ubdqu.png
  • If any requested model is done in blocky format, we'll have to do all in blocky
  • Looking for model of Pig (doesn't have to be blocky)
  • Looking for model of Creeper (doesn't have to be blocky)
  • Looking for custom icon border for all icons in this map that might somehow fit MC theme?
  • Looking for weapon attachments of all the MC tools, wooden, steel, mithril (? I don't play MC, but 3 for each is good enough).
  • Also, I don't think all the tools are needed. I only want Pickaxe, Axe, and Shovel. (Hoe upgrades are pointless. Swords we have plenty on Hive)
  • HD Icons! : HD Blocks =)
-Coder (GUI/Jass/vJass, anything goes =))
  • Not much to say, just need the systems below done, which means you'll be working with me and my terribarfing GUI/Jass skills.
  • Option to Dropbox with me and alternate working on map.
-Mysterious Shadower / Omnipresent Lurker
  • Randomly ninja in and throw something at me and go poof.
  • Be cool and stalk my map and contribute to it behind the scenes.
2D Artist
  • Help with making a Minecraft Custom Icon Border similar to this
*Dark Purple icon border for All Crafted Goodies
*Dark Brown icon border for Terrain Block Stuff
*Dark Blue icon border for Tools/Equipment
*Dark Green icon border for Food/Consumables/Potions
*Dark Yellow icon border for Units/Heroes/Abilities/Spells

===========

If anyone wants to help me with whatever, I would be extremely grateful.
Alone, I expect this to take 2 months before the bare minimum systems are in place and the map is playable (which is when I'll release alpha test map to show progress)
The public release is expected in 5 months after more systems/features are added.
With some help, it will be playable sooner though =).

Planned Features:
  1. Multibars with Health as Hearts and Hunger as Hotdogs. [Done]
  2. Mining/Gathering materials and combining via Spellbook (clicking on any material opens a spellbook full of products made by that material) [WiP]
  3. Many modes including Normal(Slay Enderdragon), RolePlay(Creative Mode), TeamVsTeam(Up to 5vs5, Eliminate!), FFA(Eliminate!) [WiP]
  4. Save/Load "Craft Points" (CPs) => There are going to be 100s things you can combine to make, and some things will be locked until you have enough CPs. [WiP]
  5. Random terrain generation with grass, trees, sand, snow, caves, etc. [WiP]
  6. Double Inventory System (Toggle between 2 inventories for a maximum of 12 items [you can make chests to hold more])
    • Items automatically stack if obtained and Miner has item in either of the 2 inventories. [Done]
  7. And more, after the above systems are in place.

Other notes:
I did wiki research on MC, specifically the Nether and the End, which looks like it will make a very neat incorporation!
I'm thinking the Standard Normal Mode in this game should be all co-op, slay Enderdragon.

I have a couple of other maps I'm helping in making and I will begin working on this map full-time on January 1st, 2013. I will keep weekly changelogs for this map.

Minecraft 1.0 Changelog:
Week 1 (Jan 1-8)
  • MultiBars with Health as Hearts and Hunger as Hotdogs added.
  • Added Double Inventory System: Toggle 2 inventories, items stack/split/and are obtained even if current inventory is full and placed in other.
  • Incomplete: Each player gets their own local multiboard with Hearts and Hotdogs [Multiboard consists of: Health stats (hearts), Hunger stats (hotdogs), Craft Points (save/load), Taking ideas on what else to place on the multiboard]
Week 2 (Jan 8-15)
  • More Minecraft-like systems getting planned out with rulerofiron99. Game mechanics decided to be Survival-type, with semi-RPG.
Week 3 (Jan 15-22)
  • Stuff. Terrain.
Week 4 (Jan 22-29)
  • Midterms, on hold.
Week 5 (Jan 29-Feb 5)
  • Midterms, on hold.

Credits:
rulerofiron99 - Double Inventory System, Item Drop Jump System (if items drop from mining blocks out, they fly/jump a bit, u know what I mean?)
nestharus - save/load with snippets, possibly using codeless save/load
vexorian/pitzermike/kenny - map optimizer/widgetizer/spazzler
ammorth - MultiBars (for Multiboard) system to display health as hearts and hunger as hotdogs

Last edited:
Level 5
Congrats on your first enterprise and Good Luck! ;)

Remember not to be overwhelmed by the bad moments that you'll probably have to face. That's when you have to be strongest!

I'd recommend you check so Let's Plays of MC on youtube. So you get the idea of how the mechanics work since there are some that are pretty complex (mainly the redstone related stuff.) There's a guy called Seananners on Youtube that has around 20 vids of MC Alpha where you'll clearly see the main concepts behind the game, although, the games has advanced A LOT since then.

Level 6
Thanks for support =)
Well, I got tired of browsing MC-wiki so I took your advice and went on Youtube.
I've seen epic MC worlds from random screenies but still, these are huge... massive... masterpieces.
I would hate to drag those creative minds into a wc3 version that limits creativity =C
Anyways, the videos have given me lots of ideas but I'll have to get through the rough part first.

Level 6
The thing kinda missing from this is what you _really_ want to do.
Minecraft? You can hardly reproduce such a game in wc3, so how are you planning to do it?
Also, just a clone of Minecraft seems sort of boring to me, why wouldn't I play the original then (compared to the wc3 version, which can only be inferior)?

Woops, I never mentioned in my thread about this.
I'm not trying to reproduce MC. That would be pointless and impossible.
My goal is to create a survival map similar to Wilderness Survival, but also incorporate some MC ideas into it since MC has pretty neat features.
Why did I decide on Minecraft instead of a generic no-name Survival game then? I want people to find something nostalgic and familiar in my map.

Level 6
Hi there HesitationSnow, I'm a Minecraft player and Im kinda addict, I can help you here and the very first suggestion I can give you is find a jump system :grin::grin::grin:

btw, looking forward to this =D

Hey there. Jump system sounds like a good idea.
For my own uses in this map (especially enemy AI), I decided I'll have to make my own jump system.
But the thing is, I don't plan to let players be able to build blocks on top of one another and then jump around on them.
Just to clarify, the whole map won't be breakable like the real MC =P.
The most I can do is to include some blizzard slopes and a jump system for jumping up/down slopes.

P.S. Thanks for support, assuming I work alone (aka failed to recruit! D':), I'll have a playable test map to show progress by March =).
Playable as in, only the essential material combos, but at least you can do something in the map and core systems are done.
If alone, I'm expecting first version to be done by June =).

Level 6
I believe you can download a texture pack which is in 64x64, seperate every single icon and apply your own customize borders with this tool

Oh mah gawd, I found something neat!
I was a bit worried about using Minecraft standard icons, but with this... fear no more!
HD Blocks =)
Also, thanks for button manager =).

==
i'll make you some of those as icons when i get home if you find it too hard, (i'll be come in around 4 hours)

Oh hey man, thanks so much for offer, but there is quite a bit of work to do.
I'm not sure if I'm ready for icons yet XD, the main issue at hand is making a custom icon border (with different colored variations).
I'm not sure if you should start on that yet, because I just started this project and haven't exactly decided which icons are needed yet.
First, gotta edit these white backgrounds to black, HD Blocks =).
Second, gotta develop a simple icon border of different color variations:
*Dark Purple icon border for All Crafted Goodies
*Dark Brown icon border for Terrain Block Stuff
*Dark Blue icon border for Tools/Equipment
*Dark Green icon border for Food/Consumables/Potions
*Dark Yellow icon border for Units/Heroes/Abilities/Spells
Then finally, BTN and DISBTN for each icon =o.

EDIT: So rulerofiron99 decided to hop on board to create MC systems for me.
I'm pretty excited for this project, I'll keep changelog updated but I won't have much to say until 2 more months (first testable version).

Last edited:
Level 9
Oh cool, the trading, jump, first person, and anti cheat could be very useful! Edit: Seems like no one is doing anything in this thread.

Last edited:
Level 6
LOL wow there are so many MC resources now XD.
Thanks for all those links :). I've found MC guy and a bunch of other MC monster/pet models as well, this could work out nicely!
I'm doing huge projects with Fortress Survival Alpha atm, kinda got caught up on it.
Don't wait for this, I'll re-update you guys when I have a playable version ready!
Sorry and thanks!

Level 6
Oh yes this thread is dead and not being updated.
But the map is still in active development with a team of terrainer/coders/artist.
Unfortunately due to this team's lack of interest in MC, it's merging with another project that is not MC based but we are still using the same systems and stuff similar to MC.

Ever heard of Fortress Survival Alpha?
This new map in development by our team is called Metro Survival.
It is mainly based off of Fortress Survival Alpha, but now it will come with 5 custom resources and some systems/features similar to MC.
http://s13.zetaboards.com/Metro_Survival/topic/7058961/1/#new
We will open a new thread here on THW when the first playable version is ready.

I know it's disappointing that the main MC theme will not be used and I really don't like that as well but it would take much longer for me to create a solo project than joining a team that is willing to use MC-like systems/themes.

Status
Not open for further replies.