• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Mercenaries "Leveling" with the hero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
An addition I'm adding to my RPG is mercenaries, atm they work nearly perfect.

Mercs work from 2 Dummy skills and 1 normal skill, each skill having 55 levels (The max level of a hero in the RPG)

When you purchase a Merc the levels of these skills are automatically set to your heroes level. (EX. Level 9 hero buys a Merc, the skills are set to level 9)

The 2 Dummy skills increase the life of the merc and the damage. The normal one is a regular skill.

Now atm the dummy damage skill and the normal skill work, however the life skill only works at level 1 and does not give bonus life at any other level.

I used the Bonus Life Gain item skill for this (To keep it from having an icon and such) I've had an issue with this spell in the past but it was on a hero so I substituted it with a Str gain, since Mercs are normal units however this wouldn't work.

Is there a solution to this? Other than individually turning the spell into 55 seperate spells and triggering it to remove the previous one and add the new one.

Level 11
Think I may have just thought of an idea, each level of the skill gives a constant factor of life, so maybe I can use a tome to give the life each level to compensate for the fact that the ability won't level up. Though that may cause a lil lag if the players hero is a high level when the merc suddenly recieves 30+ tomes lol.

Level 35
Think I may have just thought of an idea, each level of the skill gives a constant factor of life, so maybe I can use a tome to give the life each level to compensate for the fact that the ability won't level up. Though that may cause a lil lag if the players hero is a high level when the merc suddenly recieves 30+ tomes lol.

Or you would have to make individual tomes in order to allow the gain without lag :grin:

Any how importent is it for you, that the incon aint showed? As you might be able to use an aura buff or a trigger (after buff is added) to keep track of the level progress and then add the life using solely triggers.

Level 35
Why not just create an upgrade based off Berserker Strength (Orc).
It gives damage and health and since your hero can't level down (heroes better not level down), it should work fine. Just research the thingy everytime the hero levels or something.

Have already been suggested, I think he its because he doesnt want it to be research based. (or maybe he is just to lazy to make the amount of research levels required :grin:)

Level 11
I used a research before but for some reason it wasn't working, it may have just been a typo in the triggers, I'll experiment with it again today.

{EDIT}
Got it to work finally :D

I went back to trying to use an upgrade to give the merc life/dmg/ability lvls and such and it wasn't working like it didn't last time. I had deleted the old research upgrades before after I went to using abilities instead and I remade them when I tried using upgrades again. Noticed after a few tests of using the Upgrade trigger again that this time I forgot to set the max level of the upgades to 55 and it works this time.

Though why it didn't before Idk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.