• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Memory Leaks: Location within Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hey guys,

i was wondering if locations that are used to define a unit group have to be destroyed as well, not only the group itself.

a few examples to make this easier to understand:

1. This will cause memory leaks for sure:

• Test
    • Ereignisse
      • Einheit - A unit Startet den Effekt einer Fähigkeit
    • Bedingungen
    • Aktionen
      • Einheitengruppe - Pick every unit in (Units within 500.00 of (Position of (Casting unit))) and do (Actions)
        • Schleifen - Aktionen
          • Einheit - Explode (Picked unit)
2. This won't cause any leaks (as far as i know)

• Test
    • Ereignisse
    • Bedingungen
    • Aktionen
      • Set _Point = (Position of (Casting unit))
      • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
      • Einheitengruppe - Pick every unit in (Units within 500.00 of _Point) and do (Actions)
        • Schleifen - Aktionen
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg__Point)
3. But what about this? Is the memory space used by (Position of (Casting unit)) cleaned up or is the destruction of unit group insufficient?

• Test
    • Ereignisse
    • Bedingungen
    • Aktionen
      • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
      • Einheitengruppe - Pick every unit in (Units within 500.00 of (Position of (Casting unit))) and do (Actions)
        • Schleifen - Aktionen

EDIT: Sorry for german language. I think its not relevant to change it.

Level 26
Imagen it like this:
Whenever you want any action to refer to given point (doesn't matter if its set to variable or not) Wacraft3 engine has to calculate it thus you lose some memory. Now when data is stored, you can use it. But what happen when you do not need it anymore? It's becoming useless, and since you havent destroyed it, memory will be occupied till the game ends. Furthermore, you havent set location to any variable, and reference to given poing is quickly lost, giving you no possibility to retieve data back to free up memory.

Thats why position should be set to variables, since variable will 'point' at given location (data piece), and when nessesary can be used to remove all the leaks. So yes, you should always use second egzample to make your triggers bug and lag free.

EDIT My deutsch is poor but at least I understand that you have said: second number Pharaoh_ :DD

Level 5
thank you Pharaoh_ and Spinnaker. For some reason i can't give you some rep... Hive told me to spread some around before honoring you again... Maybe you answered one of my questions before.

Status
Not open for further replies.