• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Maps - Multiple Authors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
On this site we generally don't allow for creators to make edits of maps.
We do it for a variety of reasons.
But i think maybe we should allow melee maps to be modified by multiple authors so that we can create better and more high quality melee maps.
I think melee maps become a lot better when they're shaped by multiple people rather than by one.
Something like allowing maps to be uploaded, but allowing people to upload interpretations of it?

It's just a lofty thought i had.
Counter-strike maps for example has had small edits by multiple authors over time and thus improved the overall quality.
I just don't think one author should be able to make a complete call on a map if the goal is to create a high quality competitive map.

Level 24
You mean working on a map, without permission of author?
Yes.

It's sort of a controversial topic, but this is something i think could be good for the melee map scene.
At the moment you can just get a map, make edits, upload on epicwar and thats where people currently find maps for inhouse games on discord.
Nobody will cares who originally created it.

So i just feel like the better solution is to allow unofficial edits of existing melee maps under the same map submission.
That way we can see map history at least and give credit where credit is due.

Call it a slippery slope and whatnot, but i think this is the best way to get new and great maps into the map pool.

This topic is relevant for other submissions, too, I guess, or why is melee maps special?
If an author would explicitly deny submitting the edited version of his map, then Hive should probably deny it as well. Credits won't help here, too.

If it really is a about a seperated submission, wouldn't then following work?
  1. ask author for make a variation / if user is too inactive, shortly ask staff
  2. submit resource, giving credits/link to original
  3. going to substandard ( mostly, as idea is not original, and changes are probably "small" )
I might be wrong of course, but I imagine many authors would allow it. But in my opinion it shouldnt't be allowed, with having an explicit "no" as answer from author.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I propose you put a simple license on your map that says people can edit it but must put the same license on the map. You can ask others to put the same license on their maps and it will grow. We allow uploading other people's work or modified work with permission. A license can give such permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.