• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Defense / Survival] Mekanika - Looking for testers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5

Mekanika - Chapter 2

The Decaying Forest

I would like to share with you the ongoing development of a survival / sandbox project I have been working on these months. The prologue was released here but it is now outdated and doesn't reflect the actual state of the game any longer (the map will be removed as soon as the chapter 2 gets released in this thread).

As there are many changes, it may take time to introduce it all at once so I have decided to disclose the laid groundwork progressively. In order to keep the post readable, the content will be divided in three sections: Overview, Game Features, Development.

Thank you for your time!
Salepate

GameScreenClear.png
Mekanika is a Survival / Sandbox map intended to be played cooperatively (up to 4 for the beta) or in single player. The goal is to develop a base, setup defenses, hunt and gather in order to survive. The game is staged on a set of 3 isles, locally known as the Mekanika Archipelago.

The map is originally intended for HD Assets. A SD Compatible will come shortly after the release.

Prologue

The prologue introduce the player character as a stranded survivor who ended up on a small seashore. With no boat in sight you will have to establish a settlement, explore the isle and find a way to get on a new boat. The prologue ends when the player embarks on the boat to continue the journey.

Chapter 2

After sailing off, you realize that you are trapped within the Archipelago, all the more, an electrical storms is surrounding the largest Isle preventing your boat from reaching its Coasts.
In the hope of finding more resources you set your route to the second Isle.

The Chapter 2 introduces new items, units, crafts, a more challenging wilderness, and a new journey.

Chapter 3 is not developped at the moment

Crafting

This update introduces three new major workstations.

PresentationWorkbench.png

The Apothecary provides more efficient healing solutions and some utilities to cure ailments or gain increased movement speed for a more enjoyable exploration.

The Arcane Workbench lets the player harness esoteric powers in order to create arcane infused gears, and capture creatures for local and automated resource production.

The Invention Table grants access to the Research menu! This leads us straight into the next major addition

Research System

Warcraft_III_aDPVHwtRec.png

Thanks to the Invention Table, you are now able to extend your crafting repertory through the study of materials. Completed research let you craft new equipments, defenses, workshop structures, and much more..! More research gets unlocked throughout the journey, giving you a more powerful advantage and allowing you to overcome difficult enemies and hazardous environments. This goes without saying, but completed research are saved within your profile.

Profile / Player Progression

Warcraft_III_0xNLesZQ06.png

There is now a progression / save system that will keep record of your completed research and other things (including some gameplay stats). Research are costly and require times to be complete, too much frustration would be built from having to research everything everytime you play. This also increase the feeling of progression after doing many play throughs, one should not have to redo everything (unless ones wants to start from the beginning!)

Hero Class Selection / Adventure Package

The Hero class system has been lifted and modernized. Starting from Chapter 2 you are able to select a Character Class, as well as a Starting Package to give you a start boost. The available starting packages can be upgraded later up, through another game mechanic (Shop and Rank Upgrades)
Any equipment included in the starting package will automatically be equipped so you don't have to worry about doing extra setups.

Next

There are a other features to introduce, but as writing all this take some time, I will disclose all details later. here is a (non exhaustive) list of the added features :

• Personal Workshop
  • Shop and Rank Upgrades
  • World Generation
  • Mekanist Quest
  • Creature Taming/Harvesting

Looking for Beta Testers!

If you feel like this is a map you woud totally play I would be really interested in having you participate in an upcoming beta. All my tests have been limited to 2 (sometimes 3 thanks Kid and Wrda <3). The map is still far from being in a beta state, but has enough materials for a few hours of enjoyment, and could greatly help me catch on early bugs.

Please let me know in the post if you would like to participate, as I need to make preparations for the beta test!

Informations​

The map is done using WE 1.33 / Lua Backend / Targeted for HD Reforged. Blender for modelling, rigging
The GUI Trigger base has been heavily supplemented by additional actions to increase ease of content creation.

Basic Metrics​

Hero Class: 3 (Hunter, Herbalist, Tamer)
Research Available: 19
Craft Recipes: 30+
Custom Units: 107 (50 Dummies)
Custom Items: 64 (~10 Dummies)
Custom Abilities: 116 (~3/4 Dummies)

GUI Triggers​

The map use GUI trigger mostly for content creation as the Object browser is very limited (in fact doesnt provide any) in term of data composition. Spells are created through the use of custom framework that runs in LUA but allow GUI Integration of new Spells.
World_Editor_jKr12jXWKH.png
List of Spell oriented actions

Spells are created at map initialization through simple triggers
1669687546521.png

It generates a set of runtime operations that will be used later whenever a unit cast the mentionned Spell (Entanling Roots in this case).

It allows active spells to also have a passive counter part (such as on attack effects) and so on. It is very prototype looking at the moment but gave me enough velocity to implement specific spells.

Enemy and Items respawns also benefit from this upgrade :

1669687661775.png
1669687728393.png

All is left for me is to place dummy destructibles, that will be processed by the engine in order to have naturally spawning resources that can evolve, be limitrated, only activates after a certain condition is met.

Credits​

Credits will be added as the map gets disclosed. The prologue credits are still applicable.

I would like to take the time to thanks the Hive and the Discord community which provided plenty of help when needed! I would in turn be happy to share all the gathered knowledge.

I am currently looking for a limited set of players to participate in some tests, if you are interested you can read more in the Development section.

Thanks again!
Salepate

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I would like to share with you the ongoing development of a survival / sandbox project I have been working on these months. The prologue was released here but it is now outdated and doesn't reflect the actual state of the game any longer (the map will be removed as soon as the chapter 2 gets released in this thread).
No. I will just set it to simple. Do not upload stuff and remove them as you wish, please. This site is not a testing ground.
Although it seems similar, so that thread might just be updated.

Level 5

Introducing the Class Selection System​

More details are attached in the Game Feature section

The class system was working but using a legacy style so I decided to make things a bit more modern. It simplifies the game start flow for everyone, looks a bit nicer. I still have some adjustments to do for the offsets. And I will probably add a shortcut list of all available characters for a quicker selection! I will probably share the full script when I have completed it!

On a side note I am still looking for a few people eager to tests in order to detect unexpected desyncs.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.