• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Medusa WIP. Worth continuing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
I've been gone for a while, both from this site and from the Warcraft map editor. Now that I'm sort of back into it, I wanted to try out something new. I decided to try to create a skin, and not just release it half-decent either. But after spending some on-and-off time on it I'm not sure if it's worth continuing. Don't get me wrong, I'm personally happy that it's turned out better than expected(for a WIP at the very least) but others are likely to disagree.

So I decided to put up some previews. Ask you guys what you think about it, if you have any ideas or techniues you'd like to share or if I should scrap it completely. Also if you have any thoughts on the concept, please shoot them at me.

I won't care if you bash me to oblivion, but constructive critisism is prefered. I'm trying to learn after all, and I know it's nowhere near "good" quality even for a WIP.

Medusa_Skin_WIP.png

Medusa_Unwrap_WIP.png

I'm having some problems with the face wrap, but I decided to start doing some rough work on the body to get a clearer picture of how the whole deal will look, since it looked really odd with just the head changed.

The tail is also just CnPed from the snakes(which I did by hand) atm, for the same reasons as above.

Level 25
If you enjoy texturing, a skin is always worth continuing. Even if the finished product doesn't meet Hive's standard, you'll still get tons of experience, as the finishing touches are often the most difficult.
As for the the skin: It's pretty good for a first try. In its current state, it lacks a great deal of shading and highlights, but then again, it's just a WIP. You should definitely do something about the scales on the body. The shading is completely off, and makes it look very repetitive. With proper shading and highlights, you can actually get rid of that repetitive look, even though it's CnP'ed from the same source. This will require you to differentiarete between the highlighting of the different scales.

Status
Not open for further replies.