• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Medivh5.BLP

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
This is a skin i made for my map Warhammer 3rd Storm of Chaos :D
Made it for a Ying/Yang mage my mate Isharioth is currently working on.
I know this skin is a bit colorless, but it kinda fits the dark-light sheme.

Have to say i realy fell in love with the smugde-brush while creating that skin :D

critique plz

Update: removed the brown parts @ the boots, decreased the size a bit, addet a bit of highlight to the boots, addet a iris, removed black point at the tip of the crystal in the cobras mouth and removed those little cuts at the bottom of this cape, so he looks a bit more accurate.

Update 2: removed the iris again and addet some alpha, to make the cape look more realistic, without alpha the polys where too obvius.

Update 3: addet some more handworks to the boots and the underarms and addet more highlight to the cape. to make ppl stop complaining about it beeing handmade enough. Addet some more Runes to the cape---> doesnt realy make the skin better... but more handdrawn

Update 4: Reinvented the alpha for the cape and made some more screens:

135927-albums1918-picture16380.jpg

Keywords:
Ying, Yang, Light, Dark, Day, Night, Blue, white, mage, medivh, mediv, twilight, cathay, warhammer
Contents

Medivh5.BLP (Texture)

Reviews
15:15, 5th Aug 2009 67chrome: Looks cool, but still needs more work. I averaged your freehanding estimates and came up with 50%, so I guess that does put you 1% away from "mostly recolor" :D Of course, the amount of original skin showing through...

M

15:15, 5th Aug 2009
67chrome: Looks cool, but still needs more work. I averaged your freehanding estimates and came up with 50%, so I guess that does put you 1% away from "mostly recolor" :D
Of course, the amount of original skin showing through is still a little to much to get an approved status. This skin is also very monochromatic, even the gums are the same shade of blue as everything else. The flames on the cape are also a little blurry to, so you have a few things you need to change. This skin has potential to be approved, you just need to work on it a little more :)

2:26, 28th Aug 2009
67chrome: Still very monochromatic, their could stand to be a differentiation between the skin tone, armor, and clothing. Right now everything is the same color. The flames on the cape are still a little blurry, maybe create them on a separate layer that allows you to adjust the cape beneath them to make them stand out more.

Level 9
i really like that one :) many good ideas are involved in this skin.
may you download the warcraft iii viewer here.
it helps you to check your changes on your skin detailed and very fast.
i opened your skin with this software and i saw that the boots were not made big enaugh so you have brown parts in the area of the knees.
also the boots and the cape seem to be blurry. may you could sharpen it a bit.
try to add more highlights to the metal parts.

all in all its a quite good skin!

Level 9
yep i recognized that brown parts too, when i imported it into WE.
oh and i got wc3 viewer allready, but didnt know that u can preview skins there.
about the metal i have to say that this is my weakness :p but i will try 2 improve that.
about the boots and the cape: i will try to sharpen up the boots, but i actualy dont know how i could sharpen that up, in that low resolution, without destroying the flame motive.

Last edited:
Level 4
I got little suggestion: In oryginal Medivh's cape skin is plain and it is considerably stretched, so you shouldn't make there any patterns - it doesn't look good for me.
Generally he's a little dull. My note is 4.

Level 38
Try not to double-post, you can always attach more files to your post when you go to edit and then click the button "Go Advanced" on the bottom of the message box.

Looks kinda neat, but mostly it's just a re-color with flames and runes painted on top of the skin - I'd say it's around 33% freehand. Try using your own designs for things like his chest, boots, and arms rather than using the original ones - the skinning rules for uploading resources say you must do 75% of the skin freehand.

Off-Topic: I think the file size is that size because you are using 75% compression from the WC file converter when turning the file into a blp right? All my skins turn up around that size to, ~80 kb.

Level 9
1. i did doublepost, because u can only have max 5 attachments per post.
2. the problem is the definition: 1. of all i did some handpainting for all bodyparts: shadows for the cape(20%), the headpart of the cape is mostly handmade(80%), @ the face i reajusted the shadows and over done the beard btw (20%), the shoulders are completely handmade (100%), the staff is completely handmade (100%) (before it is a bird and there is some weird crossing lines---> after its a kobra with a crystal in the mouth and a windet staff), @ the boots i addet some armor detail (20%) (ok i could have done more, but i am lazy, and the boots looke anyway ugly ingame) the dagger is mostly handmade (80%), the gloves are reshadowed (15%) the breastpart of the cape is also overdone (50%) and @ the legs i changed some lil details (15%). oh and yeah the breast is not changed a lot, but u wont see that ingame anyway...

if you add now those nice looking flames and the fact that this skin does look incredible cool, i think this is approvable.

btw would it change the situation if i lay over sume alphas over everything? would it count as handmade?

anyway thx for the open critique.

and about the wc3 viewer u are damn right :D

3. about the cape, i didnt know how that would look like in the end, i thought the resolution is enough for some detail.
well your right its a bit strecht, but i cant do anything about it, and in my mind he just fits the idea i had while making him.

Last edited:
Level 38
Lols-I wouldn't recommend factoring in "looks incredibly cool" to getting this resource approved. Everybody loves the power and ability to change things, and I thought the same way about my first skin-which promptly got rejected. Besides, most Blizzard skins are well done and cool to an extent, so having parts of them showing through usually still looks pretty neat, but you should try making all the cool details yourself ;)

I know sharpen is usually a pain to use, but Photoshop has a "smart sharpen" feature that allows you to adjust how extreme you want the sharpening to be. I just use that to sharpen my work, maybe the program you are using has a similar feature :)

Level 9
Realy realy nice, but I think it whould look better with a little more blue on the cape. :)

But I dont know for sure :)

Level 38
Hmm, I still think this needs a little more freehanding, and more color variation. The fact that the gums and mouth are the same shade of blue as the skin and armor makes for a rather monochromatic skin. If you set the brush to "color" mode it is really easy to change the color of things, as it will not interfear with your shading. But I would strongly recomend making the inside of the mouth, skin tone, and armor different colors, even if they are mostly blue.

Level 9
Hmm, I still think this needs a little more freehanding, and more color variation. The fact that the gums and mouth are the same shade of blue as the skin and armor makes for a rather monochromatic skin. If you set the brush to "color" mode it is really easy to change the color of things, as it will not interfear with your shading. But I would strongly recomend making the inside of the mouth, skin tone, and armor different colors, even if they are mostly blue.

mhm yeah i´d do that BUT this hero is a dark-light hero means it is ment to have only 2 main colors for his sheme, thats why hes so "monochromatic" hes not ment to be like that funny blizzard mages, but to be black and white (well its blue and white cause black-white looks borring)

Level 13
Nice but...
The thing about this is... It's just all the same.
You don't have to do the same thing on every part of him.
The face is awesome! But I don't like the other parts.

Level 38
If your going for a dualistic theme go for a dualistic color relationship. Make a stronger differentiation between the black parts of the skin and the white parts of the skin, while it is a little harder to get black and white to turn out well shaded and with enough contrast it is not impossible. With all the blue on the skin I'm just getting Yin out of the Yin Yang bases though, the yellow on the staff seems very out of place as it is really the only different color on the skin. Twoface has a dualistic color scheme and represents a sort of Yin-Yang relationship, and his mouth is a different color than his two halves. Even with this model being bilaterally symmetrical, you could still pull off a dualistic theme, much more potently even, with the introduction of more than one color :)