• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Medieval Conquest- Can YOU help me make it even better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Howdy all. I have just finished the BETA testing for Medieval Conquest, and all known bugs are out.
http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Maps&ID=2613

The goal of the game is to capture settlements (by attacking them). Capture 30 settlements to win.
THE GAME FEATURES:
- 5 Very Unique Civilizations
- Weathering Effects
- Unique Technologies
- Re-balanced countering system
- Siege units

I strongly encourage you to check it out, you may enjoy it. I have some ideas to make it better such as:
- Natural Desasters
- New Heroes
- New income-increasing buildings
- Alliance options
- Additional units (such as spies, more siege)

What i would like is some feedback on these ideas, and possibly any other ideas you would have to make it better. Thanks for you time, I really appreciate all feedback!

Level 3
Chew on this

Hey, how does this idea sit with you:
You have civilians that stay around there hobbels or go to the nearest tavern (assuming one is near enouph). As soon as you train a unit, instead of one just poppin out that unit leaves its house and goes to the place were you trained him to recieve his orders and to recieve his gear. ** I dont know, i just thought it would be cool to see a town work by itself and actually supply you with the troops you needed.

Now hopefuly i can grab your attention on the buildings that increase income... This has happend in many games (the first that comes to mind would have to be tree tag) were all you see is one person filling up his side of the map with income... If that's what you want i guess you could do that, but it seems to make the gameplay very repetative and well boring after a while.

I dont know I'm just throwing out my two cents.

Level 5
I see what you are saying about the income- and i have been trying to tackle that problem. The only thing that would stop someone from supplying their own income intirely is the 5 food cost per market. If you were to build more than 3 (and had no settlements) you would be able to only produce a couple troops.

Thanks for those other ideas, they are very interesting, ill see if i can incorperate them into the game!

Level 3
Right I tried your map, but what I'm saying is theoretically you wouldnt need to... Just build a couple of towers and have a wall with your hero around that area. meanwhile, your harvesting massive amounts of gold every tax time. I was getting somewere like 15k gold per 90 seconds... The porblem is I wouldnt need any troops because of the towers. THe towers cant stop seige units and a whole advancing army, however they bought me enouph time so that I could destory the markets and assemble a massive amoutn of longbowmen... Do you see the problem?

Yeah and with the people, that would be hard to incorporate into your map seeing as how you have a set location for each player.. But I just thought it would be cool to see someone attack a town and see 200 men run out and start beeting on them :)

Level 5
Yea I see what you are saying- so, tents are now gone :). You can no longer do the market booming, without being very aggressive and capturing a lot of settlements. In addition- I am also incorperating the suggestions you gave me. I am additing a trainable building unit (the architect) who can construct towns, so to speak. He can train merc camps, which will build up a reserve of militia men as time progresses. If you build houses, they will spawn townsfolk. Also, all town buildings have a "Homeland Security" aura, which will give you a slight advantage if you fight in your own town. I have no decided exactly what I want to do with the townsfolk however. Any more suggestions would be great!

Level 3
Cool

Firstly that aura sonds really cool

Now I would like to suggest one more hting to you... This would envolve changing some of the terrain but, make the map bigger, make the units smaller and slow them down significantly. THis would encourage the construction of various units and the need for calvery. I did that in one of my maps and it worked well. Basically your units are about .6 of the 1 size they are. Now the map is much bigger and sense there moving slower it makes it seem like there traveling a great distance. THis would change alot of things in your map but it would make it very different. Also some of your settelements that I took over were just settelemtns that were hanging around.. Throw in some doddas and random civilians walking around that will chagne to your side (But you cannot control them) and hang around your settelemtn. Each settelement will have a key building you must capture in order to take control of that "town". Please write back it's fun to see your map progress :)

Level 5
Its funny that you would mention the slowing down and decreasing in size- I already did that in this version (had the exact same thoughts about it). How would I allow a player to own a unit, but not beable to control it? That would be somthing if I could do it! Also, as I may have already mentioned, you cna build units that spawn townsfolk. I have decided to make them non-aggressive, but have unique abilities. For example- women can "encourage" your units (healing spell), and men can "entertain" your units (give them extra hp regen and momvnet speed). Im not sure about having other buildings around the settlements- that would take up quite some space and wouldn't allow people as much freedom to build as they have now.

I also included walls- you can build wodden or stone walls, which help against huge cavalry raids.

Level 5
You should create Boiling Oil. This structure should need one village to be activated. What do you think?

Level 3
I would reconsider taking away the idea of having buildings around the towns.

If you were to make the settelements have more buildigns, Much more buidlings, you could allow other players to hide units behind some of the buildings and then allow them to come around and strike a unit. Anotehr thing you might consider would be supply lines.

IT would be cool to have some settelemtns that have trade posts alreadyd thaere but also to have the villagers be able to build there own buidlings... I.E. sense you took over there small region they are now your own devout citiznes. To make it really cool I could just see wagons( whatever) moving across the ap from town to town in order to share the kingdoms wealth and collect taxes. The more you have going the better percentage of teaxes you are able to collect. you dont want to make this to elaborate but allow some diversity in the sense that you may choose to be a small kingdom with very little setelemnts but you can take the gold from larger kingdoms by hijacking there wagons as there going to htere next destination.. If you need help with any of this just pm me :)

Level 5
That is a great idea... I wish I was that creative! I think it would be very realistic also- and not that difficult. It would just involve some moderatly heavy triggering- I think im going to get started right now.

The buildings around the settlements; would they be indestructable? That would mean that they could never be destroyed. Or vwould they not be indestructable, but when a settlement is captured a certain amount of that city is converted? Or would it be neither, and the starting buildings around the settlements just there to help you out at the beginning? (I.E destructable and nothing can be converted along with te settlement except these starting buildings).

What is your bnet name- I would like to give you some credit in my next version :)

Level 3
I think the map should be put into a 4 player semetry or 6, or whatever, depending on how mnay people you have. Now it would be cool to start out and be in your kingdom that already has a town converted that will give you taxes... This is your starting kingdom. Now on top of that in your little area you have the option to captur 2 or 3 more towns. There should be 3 towns in the middle of the map that are big but are at war so they will send there army inbetween. Now each kingdom will have a diplomatic option to the point were they can deside to join one of the three towns at war with each other. It shouldnt be like aos games were constant armys meet in the middle but you should have it were at random time sthe kingdom will engage in the battle of " ". The players will be able to tak part in that battle but dont have to. In a sense people will be able to ally themselves thru a kingdom, but can engage in war at the same sense. It sholdnt be a simulater, but you should be able to have some govermental options seeing as your the king of your people. As far as the bulidings I think the amount of your kingdoms influecnec should be the factor in determining your influence over the city. Another thing yo ucould add would be random revolts in your city if you dont have an influence ther, IE a standing army, or if another army is in that presense the revolters may be more prone to do something. I have a bunch more ideas, May i ask to privatley beta test for you.

Level 5
Hey- I am making decent progress on this version, here are a few screen shots.
mc1.2.jpg

mc3.1.jpg

The objects that look like paths are roads- the roads allow units that walk on them to move much faster than they normally would (enabling much faster movment around your base).

The female townsfolk will heal your troops (not as well as the priest or shaman), and the male townsfolk will repair all of your buildings that are damaged (slowly), at no cost to you.

IF an enemy is invading your town and has access to your townfolk, they will be forced to help the enemy instead of you (realistic, instead of killing people they would enslave them sometimes). The townsfolk cannot be killed unless by a direct order.

The next version will be much better than the one now- It will be out in a matter of hours.

Level 3
It's looking alot better, But get that map bigger, make them have to march a distance to get to the enemy, give them the option to camp, a buliding that would be deployed via track horse or elephenat, you get the idea, and could repack. The tent would allow a better bonus at night but units could garcoin inside of them and regain health and moral (there mana if you decide to do it that way) faster. Dude, I will keep on sending you ideas and very soon this map will rule.

Level 5
Right now I just added more weather effects. When it rains- there is a possibility that one of you units could get struck by lightning. They will recieve 250 damage (killing most units, but not all heros, and expensive units). Whenever lightning strikes, there is a roar of thunder.

Should that pack horse/elephant unit be only buildable at a settlement? I like the idea of the tents. Should the horse turn into the tents, or should it be able to build a tent and continue on?

Im reluctant to increase the map size right now. All unit's speed has been reduced quite a bit; it makes the map feel much bigger. I am afraid that if the map is any bigger it would feel a bit TOO long to get from place to place. I'll get you a version of it as soon as I can, I'm sure your probably wanting to play it now that I have added quite a bit.

Level 3
I look forward to playing the new map, and then i'll find a new way to explouit something. You should make it that the pack horse lays down the tent, and then a riderless horse appears next to the tent, when you pack it up it's back on the horse. So no the horse couldnt go on without the tent. In theory :)

Level 5
Since all of these posts are now on a new page, I wont bother to cut down the images. All future images will be cut down to fit however. Thanks for pointing that out.

The Tent is done, I like the riderless horse idea next to it. I'll reply with a few new screen shots and an update as soon as possible. Thanks for all of your comments!

Level 5
About boiling oil! Don't you know that the medival soldiers were pouring boiled oil on attackers from walls? That is boiling oil. You should use this to pour oil on attackers to burn them!

Level 3
We understand what boiling water is, however It's hard to make it so it will spuill onto units, more or less it would just end up beign an attack with an animation that looks like hot water, and In my opinon that would sereisouy down grade the qaulity of the map.

Level 5
Its boiling oil, not water :p.

Yea- although I do like the idea, I believe it would be very difficult to incorperate a good graphic to portray the oil... I may be able to find another way to use it in the future. Here are a few more screen shots:
mc1_2.0.1.jpg

Here a few townsfolk pitch in to repair a building recently attacked by the enemy. (They repair on their own and cost nothing to repair!)

mc2_2.0.jpg

Here red's defenses are being pushed back by blue in an attempt to secure a settlement.
mc3_2.0.jpg

Here a few natives camp out for the night to regain their health, and prepare for the next day's tolls.

The version is nearly complete- I will release it to all of the wc3sear community to test it out if they wish in the very near future.

Level 3
Boiling water was used to sir :), Secondly Have you considered making custom spells that are distinct to each race you play? I could help yo uwith taht if you needed me 2.

Level 5
I have considered custom spells- but I am not very good with the special effects aspect of WE - Help with that would be very nice. What unit would I use them for? I want to try to keep this game semi-realistic, and although it would be neat, I don't want to have spell casters and the like casting "Inferno" and "Frost Nova". Shockwave is aleady stretching it for the King, but I thought that if I stoped it there, it would be ok :).

Ideas for the Custom spells would be fantastic!

Level 3
Ok, i havent tested it or anything (dont think i can yet anyway) but for custom spells, maybe if not made already you could "ride horse" or the king could summon "footmen" as thrall does feral spirits, i have other ideas but as i said, i never tested it and im sure some of them were already there.

Status
Not open for further replies.