• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mass unit lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hi, has anyone found out the exact (or close) breaking point where units will start to move-stop-move-stop when given orders? I seem to be getting this problem again.

Also, what if I have 500 units but only 50 are given orders at any one time? Will that be a problem? Because it is a large RPG and I need that many neutral hostile units.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
It varies on the number of units of the player currently moving. The ammount that can move smoothly is based on the complexity of the area the units are moving in and the number of units moving. Moving 50 units of varying speeds and collision sizes will probably suffer stop start slightly. Moving 100 units with no collision in a straight line will suffer no stop start.

Level 10
What about a LOT (500+) of units from neutral hostile but only 5 moving. Is that all right?

My map will use heavy instancing for this purpose. In the open world, there are a lot of creeps, like any other RPG. However the units that are moving along set paths will be in the battlegrounds. 3 computer slots are reserved for just this purpose where battles such as helms deep will require 200+ moving swiftly without lag.

However back to the problem at hand.
In the open map (non instanced) only neutral hostile is the enemy with a few small exceptions. And the only ally is Free Peoples. There will be over 500 units on each side. However other than some creeps given the 'wander' ability, most of the units except a few (maybe 100) are stationary/wander.

Will this be a problem?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
What about a LOT (500+) of units from neutral hostile but only 5 moving. Is that all right?

It should not be a problem as the pathing prediction algerthim only works on moving units (stationary do not run it).

I would advise only spawning hostile units when an enemy is near them. It is pointless having units out that never get faught with. By doing this you can greatly improve the efficency of your map. Look at TKoK, the creeps only spawn when you are in an area, I would advise looking into such a system as it will make the map use less resources.

Level 13
Whenever you summon too many units and make them all move down a lane at once it makes unit moving delay. This is player based. This isnt normal lag.. If player 1 has over 50 units moving and player 2 has only 5ish players 1's units will have a reaction delay to them, player 2's units will not. A trick to make less "unit lag" is to split the units up among different players if you can. I would have to see what your set up is though to elaborate further.

if its a 12 player map then you have 3 different computer u can use (not counting neutral player)

Status
Not open for further replies.