• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mars Landing

Status
Not open for further replies.
IT LANDED SUCCESSFULLY.

It would be more exciting if this was the first time they landed something on Mars, but it's not.

The current one is powered by a Plutonium battery. The Plutonium decays and produces heat, which is converted into electricity, and that one battery is enough to power it for ~630 days.

If only I had something like that :3
I could power my computer for over a decade with just one small chunk of plutonium ^_^

The time is just as expensive.
It took about 8 and a half months for that thing to travel from the Earth to Mars, and I don't think anyone wants to wait another 8 and a half months waiting for another rover to land.
In fact, they'd have to wait a bit more than that because they need Mars and Earth to be in the right positions. The wait could potentially be a decade more or less ;/

Too bad that all the manned Mars programs are aimed at ~2020... If some organization actually manages to put a man in the goddamn Mars, I'll celebrate it by... well I don't know, expensive wine?

Also, I hope we get to see some high res pictures soon (and I mean other than the grey shaded hazard avoidance camera shots)

That would be awesome if done really in 2020. But I fear I won't see this in my lifetime :/

Level 14
The cool part is that the first trip to Mars might be a permanent settlement rather than a visit, since returning the astronauts/taikonauts/cosmonauts would increase the cost a lot. But of course that would some very creative food and oxygen creation systems, perhaps a portable space plankton farm? Oh well, I'm just dreaming.

Also the Curiosity's mast-cam panorama
http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/676004main_pia16051-fullportal_full.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.