• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Marcus

This bundle is marked as lacking. It fails to meet the standard requirements and may only have minor use.
A skin meant to be used in a RPG map I got for one of the characters in it. I thought some people might enjoy it so I decided to share it.

The character lives in a medieval (dark-fantasy) setting. I picked bright colors for his outfit, mainly orange and olive and I am pleased with the results (sometimes there's this wrong impression that brown and black were the predominant - if not the only - colors for the middle ages in movies, etc)... If you wonder why he dresses up in medieval European clothing it's because of his family's immigrant background.

The skin is meant to be used in the original male villager model (not the 255 animations one) and you must use the file path: units\Critters\VillagerMan\VillagerMale.blp to get it working

27/01/2017
I did some changes following your suggestions :D

The...

NewMarcusTest_zpsuh5ecmqx.png

And a...

MarcusAtHisFarm_zps2frcdqtk.png

28/01/2017
Gave the character a quick rhinoplasty and made a few minor changes to the lips' mucosae.

MarcusRhinoplasty_zpsohie6kfn.png

---------------------------------------------------------------

No team colors here; thoughts and opinions are welcomed.
If you have any suggestions just let me know.

Keywords:
villager, peasant, medieval.
Contents

Marcus (Texture)

Reviews
Traggey
Nice concept for a new villager skin! Whilst the detail work all functions just fine and the wrap works well, this texture falls behind in the shading. I'll be placing this texture on "Awaiting Update" untill a few things are taken care of listed...
Heinvers
The skin still requires further updates. Traggey's points still stand, however you aren't far from approval. Further additions of highlights to the skin, hair and some clothing shadows and details would help.
I like him, but I think the entire texture can get more highlights to be better seen ingame from afar.
Absolutely. While you're at it Zeth, be sure to work on those shadows. Making them more consistent and adding transition on the color palette.

The texture suffers greatly from consistent color work and lack of details. Or rather a well needed crispiness.

Level 20
Nice concept for a new villager skin!

Whilst the detail work all functions just fine and the wrap works well, this texture falls behind in the shading.

I'll be placing this texture on "Awaiting Update" untill a few things are taken care of listed below.

The skin, whilst darker skintones do not reflect as much light as whiter skintones do, they do still reflect and recieve lights and shadows like anything else. Your shadows on the skin are there, but they lack highlights making the face feel very flat and somewhat stone like, accent his cheeks, forehead, chin, nose and fingers with some brighter brownish colours to make it more believeable as skin.

There is also a transition problem between his clothes, for example where the white shirt meets the orange vest, and the vest meets the green pants there is no contact shadow which causes these two areas to blend a little too much and makes the texture feel flat. Separate these areas a little more with darker shadows.

Once that is taken care of I'd be happy to approve this texture!

~Traggey

Level 11
Hey guys, many thanks for your comments and suggestions. I finally had some spare time to get this skin fixed in regards of the shading.

I noticed that every time I used the BLP Laboratory to import BMP files and convert them into BLP (and then test them in-game) The colors would look heavily desaturated and the shading almost non-existent (especially at the face)

I added a higher saturation tone with Photoshop to the whole skin this time - which in turn has created a cool bright orange tone on the character's vest hehe - and now the character has a more serious face and looks as if he had bigger muscles somehow.:D Also added a bit of golden to the belt, some scratches at his cloth here and there and recolored his eyes, changing the iris from brown to orange to match his outfit... although I would like you guys to give me your thoughts on the last part since his eyes are a bit distracting to me when I stare at the in-game portrait. (dunno about you).

MarcusPhotoshop_zpsc6gbbvmg.png