• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[2D Art] MaPZone 2.6 - Introduction + 1 lesson (not finished)

Level 10
MaPZone 2.6 - Introduction + Lesson 1 : Blending - Texture of Dirty Grass

Requirement : MaPZone 2.6 (the newest version for now)
Visits MaPZone Homepage to download the tool or get more information.

Content
0 Introduction
0.1 Installing
Lessons :
1 Blending - Make a texture for grass
1.1 Create A New One
1.2 Linking and Colorizing

Introduction

A powerful and free texturing tool, it must be MaPZone 2.6 ! MaPZone is one of the best texturing program. You cannot draw with MaPZone but you can mix up the presets to make the awesome textures for your favourites. Okay, let us try to do something simple with it :)

0.1 Installing

Download the MaPZone and install it. After you installed MaPZone, you may be prompted to set the directory of Library of MaPZone. Then you just need to set it to : C:\Program Files (x86)\MaPZone 2.6\Library (this is the path in my comp, yay, it's just an example)
Launch it now and follow the steps to make a simple texture !
[IMAGE : 1]

Blending

Only Colorize and Colorize [Blending Mode] functions will be used in this lesson. Do not look down at them, these two functions are enough to create enough stunning texture ;) There're many ways to create a stunning texture, for me, these two are enough.

Colorize
Basically, it will be like this...
Colorize Map = For the color of Dirt
Colorize Map [Blending Mode] = For the color of Grass
Product : Dirty Grass

1.1 Create A New One

To create a new image, click the New folder select New. After you clicked it, you will see the presets at the left side. Now, drag any two of them you love to the middle side. Then right-click on the background, select New Filter -> Colorize Map. Right-click on the background again but select New Filter -> Colorize Map [Blending Mode] this time.
[IMAGE : 2]

1.2 Linking and Colorizing

When the Colorize Map and Colorize Map [Blending Mode] were created, do this :
-Click on the arrow of first preset and then link to the Colorize Map.
-Click on the arrow of second preset and then link to the Colorize Map [Blending Mode].
-Click on the colored arrow of the Colorize Map and link to Colorize Map [Blending Mode].
After the linking process, double-click on the Colorize Map and then click "Options" and select "Load preset". The gradient color is hard to be produced so we will use the done presets gradient.
[IMAGE : 3]

Tips for Versions/Variations : Make a grass texture and name it as Grass. After that, you can change Grass to Dirty Grass, Sandy Grass, Short Grass, Dark Grass or other grass types by applying some changes on it. Do not forget that MaPZone is the powerful texturing tool, especially the blending effect. Done easier than said actually :ogre_hurrhurr:

• I like the way I writing my tutorials, novels and other things. Sorry if you think it was too long, too complicated, and included too many unnecessary parts. However, you are pleased to correct my grammar mistakes :xxd:
  • In my opinion, there is no unnecessary credits in the world so you should give credits to MaPZone if you have used it because it was free of charges and very helpful.
  • Here are my works that made with MapZone.

Last edited:
Sorry for creating trouble, please move this into Graveyard as the school days are coming. I have no time to do anything related to war3 modding currently. Really sorry.

Oh, sorry I did not see this until now. Off to the graveyard! Let me know if you want it moved back (if you'd like to continue the tutorial).