• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[MAP] Squads (micro arena)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello fellas, I've come up with an idea for a map and I hope that by sharing it with this community I can improve it. I'll keep this psot of light but feel free to ask for more info on anything!

Basically, it's a micro arena map. You pick one of the 3 races, buy a bunch of units with your given resources and when the other players get their bunch of units, you fight and the most skilled player win. The game is going to be divided in several rounds and, after each round, all players earn more resources to spend improving their squad by buying more units.

Squads will probably be formed by 4 units on the first round and a couple of units more for each round passed and you may only have 2 of the same unit on your squad.

My goal is to create a map that's competitive, fun and plays quickly.

Game modes:
  • Free-for-all: everyone is on the same arena and the last one standing wins the round;
  • Team fight: players separate into two or more teams and fight on one arena;
  • Multi FFA: a player has 1 squad to fight each player, so you gotta micro them all at the same time;
  • Multi team fight: same as above, but for teams.
  • All races (mod): you may form your squad with units from all 3 races.

There will be several arenas, some focused on team play and some affected by triggered/custom effects.

Arenas features:
  • Temporal/weather effects: lava rises and isolates sections and passages, storms appear in random places after a quick visual warning;
  • Areas affected by permanent guardian shields, anti-guardian shields, AOE slow etc.;
  • Timed traps that shoot out a linear fire (like the hellion's attack) and others;
  • Walls that rise and fall from time to time, blocking line of sight and rearranging the battlefield.
  • Ways to force players to be agressive.

The interesting part of the map are the units and their skills. Most of the units from melee SC2 will be available and I'll try to keep their stats untouched to ease on the learning curve of the map, but many units will have new skills and some will need to specialize on a specific skill.

Units

Terran (bolded text means the unit is different from melee):

Tier 1:
  • Marine. Upgrades: Stim pack and Combat shields.
  • Marauder. Specialization: Concussive shell or Unstable shell. Upgrade: Stim pack.
  • SCV. Skills: Repair and sabotage.
  • Reaper. Skill: Cliff walk. Upgrades: Nitro jetpack and Spider mine.

Tier 1.5:
  • Ghost. Skills: EMP, Snipe. Upgrades: Cloak. Specialization: Nuke.
  • Butcher. Skill: Melee/Range switch. Upgrade: Stim pack.
  • Hellion. Upgrade: Infernal pre-igniter.

Tier 2:
  • Viking. Skill: Land/fly switch.
  • Medivac. Skills: Transport and Heal.
  • Tank. Specialization: Siege mode or Demolition Mode.
  • Engineer. Skills: Desync and Force decloak. Upgrade: Lightning.

Tier 2.5:
  • Banshee. Skill: Cloak.
  • Raven. Skills: Turret, PDD and Detection. Upgrade: HSM

Tier 3:
  • Thor. Skill: 250mm cannons.
  • Battlecruiser. Specialization: Yamato Gun and ????

Protoss and Zerg trees aren't done yet.

Skills

Terran skills:
  • Unstable shell (Marauder): units killed right after being attacked by a unstable shell explode dealing area damage.
  • Sabotage (SCV): paralyzes a mechanical (maybe armored) unit for a while. Lasts less on massive.
  • Spider mine (Reaper): Same as SC1, lays a mine on the ground that rises and explodes when an enemy walks nearby.
  • Desync (Engineer): reduces enemy armor to 0 on an area.
  • Demolisher Mode (Tank): the tank starts launching projectiles that travel slowly, deal a lot of damage to an aoe and are not guided to their targets. Tank may attack ground on this mode.
  • Lightning (Engineer): sends forth a lightning bolt from you to a point forward that damages everything in the line.
  • Melee/range (Butcher): switches between melee and ranged mode. On melee mode you walk and hit faster.
  • Force decloak (Engineer): use it to reveal cloaked units on a huge area around you.

Protoss skills:
  • Passive that reduces the damage you do on each attack, forcing you to micro to deal top damage.
  • Berserker toggle on/off: creates a small guardian shield effect that amplifies the damage every unit inside it take, including the berserker.
  • Energize passive: attacking an allied unit with this unit restores it's shield instead of doing damage.
  • Sticky bomb active: throws a mine on a unit, it explodes adter a while dealing area damage.
  • Energy burst active: you use it and draw a line with your mouse. This line damages units that walk on it.
  • Pulse active: pushes all units far away from the caster.

Zerg skills:
  • A "force field" that locks units inside it. Units from the inside cannot attack the outside and vice-versa.
  • Assimilate passive: everytime a unit dies this unit increases in size. It can blow itself with an active skill that deals damage to an area according to its size.
  • Active skill that targets an area. After a few seconds of visual warning any unit inside this area is damaged and slowed.
  • Passive skill that increases your damage when you're dying.
  • Consume passive: your attacks burn energy. If you burn all the unit's energy the unit is slowed.
  • Passive skill that heals you whenever you kill a biological unit.
  • Active skill: mark a unit with this skill. The unit explodes if it's killed 5 seconds after being marked.
  • Toggle on/off skill that causes you to leave a trail that damages enemies that walk on it.

There will also be a save/load feature that will not work wby inputing codes, but I need to figure out what has changed from the w3 editor first.

So, have you guys got any suggestions for units, skills or arenas? Any help is appreciated so don't fell shy! Credits will be given, of course.

I'll edit this first post later to add some other skills and make it easier to read. I'll also add arena pics as soon as I sketch them on a pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.