• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Map Development as a Team, Group

Level 11
Hello there! I have a Reforged problem. Map development in Teams.

Well me, my brother and few others are working on the same map. I was wondering is there something similar to GitHub, or a program that merges maps.

Not everyone can remember if they changed just a name in object editor or something and take note. Like if I changed Regions and Triggers then other changed Terrain and Doodads, how can we merge them?

I can't seem to open two similar maps in World Editor because I get a crash so I can't copy Terrain and other between maps. This is why I am trying to find alternatives.

I have no problem if we have to use other means to do this. What ever anyone knows. Can I use WurstScript for this? Im not sure what it does.

I am not sure if there is a similar post I tried to find an answer and I did not. Have no idea if in right forum. Thank you anyway!

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
There's no really a way to edit the same map in multiple instances at the same time - apart from coding, which you can do as stand-alone and simply copy-paste into the map. Some people have more experience with the Folder-Mode, but my experience that is ending up with data corruption and other issues as there's likely still bugs and errors you will end up running into, in the long run.

Object Data can be copied relatively easily over maps, but their placement along with terrain can be glitchy. I'd recommend working on the map just one-at-a-time, unless someone does coding (that can be done outside the map and copied over).

Level 11
Aha, so bad. Even if we cant do it in the same time it would be awesome if I could copy what I done or he to the map.

Well I still get one huge problem. If he changed BloodElf02v1 - Terrain and I changed BloodElf02v2 - Triggers. I want just to copy Triggers to the map where he changed BloodElf01- Terrain because its easier to copy Triggers. But if I try to open with World Editor both maps BloodEld02v1 and BloodElf02v2 I get a crash. So I need another solution.

But we cant do that. I cant open two version of the map because it crashes. So I cant even copy between the same map now we have to do it one by one which is much, much consuming.

I cant open two same maps of different version in World Editor.
Is there any more other possibility?

Macielos

Hosted Project: W3E
Level 18
I can only second the predecessor. I also stick to the rule that only one person can work on a map at the same time. For several maps in a campaign we can work on different maps concurrently, but also only one of us has the "master" campaign file to which we copy the maps. However, object data, triggers and scripts can be easily exported to a file and imported into another map. Just keep in mind that they will replace all from the destination map.

In theory you could open a map in MPQ editor and copy specific files, e.g. regions or cameras, but it could be buggy, so I don't recommend it.

I sometimes have crashes on Reforged, but never one when switching between maps. You can try copying stuff to an empty temp map, saving it, closing the previous one and then copying to a destination map. Robust, but could work.

Also, sometimes a cause of the crash may be in the logs (C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Warcraft III\Logs).

Last edited: