• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MandrakePlant & MandrakeRootItem

I just wanted to contribute another model do the doodad makers. I came across the idea of making one of the most-rumored poison plants. There were a lot of rumors and myths going around about this plant in Medieval ages. This was due to it's toxic properties and the shape of it's huge tap-root, which often had the shape/form of a human. It was widely used in remmedies and witch-potions and even in medicine. The real mandrake plants usually grow in hoter climates with not very cold and lesser humide winters. Therefor this model should be used in rocky, barren, summer or mountain terrains, to make this model's use more realistic. It's unsuitable for frost, winter, outland, underwater, subterrestrial and firy terrain (like dungeon). The model is supposed to be used as decoration, but i left the birth and especially the death anim, for those of you who want to make it gatherable (like from herbalist, witch, etc). ^^
Feel free to use it! Have fun with it!

EDIT 1: Added a mandrake root item to the plant model. This enables a better harvest option (just let the harvester kill the plant, and the root will pop up as an item). Just use the horn of Cenarius as icon for the root item. It fits very well. The item can also be placed on an alchemist's laboratory table. Also tested it ingames, both models (item & plant) work.

Keywords:
mandrake, poison plant, potion ingredient, decoration, doodad, plant, destructible, harvestable ingredient
Contents

MandrakePlant & MandrakeRootItem (Model)

MandrakePlant & MandrakeRootItem (Model)

Reviews
20:35, 8th Apr 2012 DonDustin: should be useful for mapmakers

M

20:35, 8th Apr 2012
DonDustin: should be useful for mapmakers

Level 6
''because he makes it, so how stupid he is if he dare to consume it." You did gj, I just wanna more evil tree doodads, or the tree means alot to warning the danger ahead of you, the player. I am looking for more tree & other doodads, terrain texture that signal the vibes of death, bad luck and damn hell to my making of horror map.

''because he makes it, so how stupid he is if he dare to consume it." You did gj, I just wanna more evil tree doodads, or the tree means alot to warning the danger ahead of you, the player. I am looking for more tree & other doodads, terrain texture that signal the vibes of death, bad luck and damn hell to my making of horror map.
hm, i think i know which ones are ideal for that purpose: Jimson Weed (a.k.a. Thornapple, Datura stramonium) and Belladonna (a.k.a. Deadly Nightshade, Atropa belladonna). Both were a symbol for death, dark magic, destruction, demonic powers, devil possession, decay and seduction in the medieval ages. Just check out the articles in wikipedia or a field guide if you're interested to learn more about them. :wink: Besides that, they're also (like the mandrake plant) members of the Nightshade (Solanaceae) family. My mandrake model is also intended to be used as a harvestable plant for ingredient in poisons from rogues and assassins. That's why i left the death anim :wink:

I'm using this and it's awesome.

Very nice model, great for a project im working on :), the only thing im not to keen on is the white stripes on the purple flower in the middle :3 other than that great work 5/5

thx a lot to both of you :wink: It makes me happy to see that my model is usefull to otehrs, especially if they realy like it :goblin_yeah: I'm currently working on some contracts and another famous poison plant. Which one is a surprise :wink: I'll also try to fix the belladonna, to make it well-aproveable :wink: