• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Making It Work (Space Fel Orc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hey there y'all. I'm working on my first major project on Warcraft World Edit, and was going to utilize the Space Fel Orc model file, but turns out its actually quite limited. I was hoping to be able to attach a helmet to it (at the "head" attachment point), but none of the model files I can find sit right. I've also tried finding similar model files, but haven't really had much luck with that either.
I am hoping to keep the flame aspect (the flamethrower attack art), or I think there are model files out there that would work. If I end up having to use one of those, it is what it is, but I figured this should be a simple request.

Basically, could someone edit the Space Fel Orc model file, at least to have an accurate head attachment point? Or could someone make a space applicable, or wholly covering helmet that attaches well?

Thank you in advance ^-^

Level 21
Read this tutorial. By the way, I see the Chaos Space Orc model already has a head attachment point. Maybe it just doesn't work because the attachment point is named Head - Ref instead of Head Ref. Just rename it, and it should work. It takes less than a minute to do it, but I won't do it for you, because I want you to learn how to do it, so next time you could do it yourself, instead of asking here. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Level 7
I suppose this means I need to actually download the Magos War3 Model Editer. I was hoping to not need to wet my hands in the modeling business myself, at least yet, but any reservations I have may be selfish or lazy ones, so I probably ought to give it a try.

Thank you, Hermit, for directing me to this tutorial. I will attempt it myself, and let you know (here) how it goes/ whether there's any problems ^.^

Level 21
Level 7
Okay, great ._.
I tried it: downloaded the editor, figured out how to find the space fel orc model, figured out the node manager well enough to edit and move around the head attachment point that this is all about.

It still does as it did before. Yes, it actually covers the head a little better, having moved the attachment up a little, but it doesn't turn with the units head.
These helmet models work on other units, like units from Warcraft itself. They move with the head, even as the unit does their squatting routine, moving their whole body, head included, up and down, and sometimes turning to examine the terrain beside them. It appears these bonus models, based from starcraft, do not have this.
So, I suppose the question is: how do I fixate the attachment point to the unit?

Level 21
It appears these bonus models, based from starcraft, do not have this.
I guess they kinda rushed those Starcraft models, since they aren't really used in the game. Hydralisk model has the attachment Head misspelled as Heaf, so it doesn't work.
So, I suppose the question is: how do I fixate the attachment point to the unit?
I can't believe I didn't notice this when I first opened the model. The Head attachment point isn't attached to any of the unit's bones. It should be attached to the head bone. Right click the Head - Ref and write down the pivot point values somewhere (X, Y, Z). Now delete it. (Right click -> remove)
Now find the node named Bone_Head. Right click it and select Create Attachment. Name your attachment Head Ref and set the pivot point position to be the same as it was.

When you're adding attachment points, make sure they are attached to the correct bone:
Chest Ref to Bone_Chest
Foot Left Ref to Bone_Foot_L
Hand Right Ref to Bone_Hand_R
Only Origin Ref and OverHead Ref don't need to be attached to anything.

Last edited:
Level 7
Alrighty then: well, I actually figured it out just now before noticing your post, which essentially spells out what the problem was and what I did to fix it.
It looks like its working now :infl_thumbs_up:
I now have a much desired Flamethrower Drone, looking how he should, and I have initiation knowledge for editing models in the future.

Thank you much, Hermit, your help is truly appreciated!:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.