• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Making Carrion Swarm an air attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I want a flying unit to be able to cast Carrion Swarm and make it look like it's coming out of the unit. As it is now, carrion swarm is on the ground. I've changed the missile of carrion swarm from the bats to a laser-style missile I imported. But it stays on the ground no matter how high the caster is flying.

This looks very stupid; is there a way to make it higher? I suppose I could edit the model a tiny bit (I have Warcraft3ModelEditor) but all I know how to do so far is add sounds and attachments. Is there an easy way to edit a model to get it to come out in the air?

Is there another ability that does forward coned or lined AOE damage that uses a missile whose height I can control?

Thanks,

Darwin

Level 8
Carrior Swarm aint that spell which creates those locust'. It's Locust Swarm xP

You cant change the height of it, unless you create whole new spell via triggers.

LOOL You're right, Kala, i totally confused the ability names. Sorry guys.

I suppose I could edit the model a tiny bit (I have Warcraft3ModelEditor) but all I know how to do so far is add sounds and attachments. Is there an easy way to edit a model to get it to come out in the air?

For editing the model, it depends. If the effect is a particle emitter just go to the Node Manager, right-click it, click edit note and change the Z value.

EDIT: I was so embarassed of confusing the names that i'm trying hard to solve that problem. I searched in the object editor and found nothing. Also, gave a look at the model. The model itself is not a particle emitter. And moving things in the Z axis messed a little with the bats animations. I'm almost out of ammo here. ;s

SOLVED -> Edit 2: Just had a idead that might solve it.

First, you will need a storm bolt ability with it's art model set to carrion swarm. Then, remove the model of the original ability and set it's targets to desired ones (i don't know if you want it to affect ground. air is affected by default) and a dummy unit with the same height as your carrion swarm casting unit. Also set it's movement and colision size to 0 , of course. Also, give it the custom bolt ability with carrion swarm model.

Then use this:
  • Events
    • Unit - a unit starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
    • Ability being cast equal = CarrionSwarm
  • Actions
    • Create one dummy unit for neutral passive at (target of ability being cast)
    • set CarrionTarget = Last Created Unit
    • Create one dummy unit for player (owner of (triggering unit) at point with polar offset - (position of (TriggeringUnit)) offset by 700 towards (angle between points - (position of (triggering unit) and (position of (target of ability being cast)
    • set CarrionCaster = Last Created Unit
    • Unit - issue order targeting an object - issue (CarrionCaster) to Storm Bolt (Carrion Target)
*CHange 700 for the distance thes warm will "fly"
The original carrion swarm will deal the damage and this will create the effect on the air.
Removing leaks is up to you :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.