• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Major overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
So core temp reads this while playing Battlefield 2 or WoW i get insane temps like 250+ F and it's accurate, but it's a laptop and i don't know whats causing the epic overheats and if there's someway to fix. Any Ideas? +Rep to peps. Btw: 2yr old laptop. In screen shot ignore max values, those were from when i was messing with core temps settings.

Capture.jpg

Level 12
When my computer get overheated it is always because my fan in my laptop got to much dust. So I use the vacuum cleaner on top of the fan and blows all the dust away, then my laptop don't get overheated more. It may be the cause of your problem, but maybe not.

dab

dab

Level 10
When my computer get overheated it is always because my fan in my laptop got to much dust. So I use the vacuum cleaner on top of the fan and blows all the dust away, then my laptop don't get overheated more. It may be the cause of your problem, but maybe not.

Agreed. However, laptops were made for "lap"-working, you know, Word, Excel, those kind of programs, not games. Something however that worked out for me was to place it above ground (there are special pedestals for that kind of thing). That made my computer last 2 hours more before it got overheated and started doing weird stuff.

Example of what I'm trying to explain:
2006_04_16_iCurve_in_use.jpg

Level 9
Laptops have cooling fans which its speed is below 1000RPM which is low for the large processing for the games you are playing. It is recommended that you terminate some process on your laptop or play those games in a desktop.

Level 7
@dab, yes that helps, but my laptop is already raised 2 inches off the ground by a game box, i think that maybe putting a zip lock full of ice might transfer cold to the laptop through the plastic without messy water. but good idea +rep

@Goolygot, thought of cleaning out my laptop just worried i might break it when i open it up and clean it, can you clean the fan just by getting the vacuum cleaner to blow through the air intake vent? +rep

@sephiroth1234, Is there a program to speed the fan up?

dab

dab

Level 10
Also laptops were not made to play WoW, mines capable and does, though my processor i hear get really hot! but what scares me is that at 250F no overheat protection happened, i can imagine what would have happened if i left it running.

Agreed. I still have a black spot on the left side of the mouse area, due to it having such extreme temperatures.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
580F = 304°C... Many ovens would envy that temperature...
Lead (Pb) melts at 327.46°C...
Tin melts at 231.93 °C...

I would ring the fire department if any computer was that hot... It would likly be spewing a lot of smoke, or worse...

Even 250F (about 120°C) is extreemly dangerous for computers and will likly shorten their life if exposed to it. Opperating under this temperature is probably impossbile so your machine should long crash before that is reached.

Unless your computer runs on a combination of religion and magic, I have to agree that your temperature sensor is probably a tad mal aligned, or the program you are using has a logic bug with its farenhight generation (remember the mars probe..., damn imperial scales).

Status
Not open for further replies.