• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Confronting Resolution w/ Larger Monitors (PC Guide)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hello Hivers!

• This basic guide will tell you how to adjust your screen resolution settings if you are running a widescreen monitor (e.g 18.5", 20", 23" etc) and your screen resolution is not supported via Warcraft 3's video options. The result will not affect the images or UI directly, but your in-game view will no longer be stretched.
• This guide is based on Windows platforms, sorry Macs (though there may be a similar solution, I have no knowledge of one for I do not use a Mac!)

WARNING!: Follow these instructions with caution, messing with certain registry values can be harmful to your system!

162343-albums4195-picture39657.jpg

a) go to Start, and type in "run" (I am using Vista in this guide) via the search bar
--
162343-albums4195-picture39658.jpg

b) in the run console, type in "regedit"
--
162343-albums4195-picture39659.jpg

c) in the registry editor, find HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and open the list
--
162343-albums4195-picture39660.jpg

d) as in step 'c', open Software then Blizzard Entertainment
--
162343-albums4195-picture39661.jpg

e) in Blizzard Entertainment, open your Warcraft III registry folder and click on "video"
--
162343-albums4195-picture39662.jpg

f) in the video registry under Warcraft III there should be two specific registry values: reswidth and resheight (see where this is going yet?)
--
162343-albums4195-picture39663.jpg

g) now, before you go and start changing things: open up Display and check your max resolution (it is preferred that you alter the registry to your max settings to avoid any odd outcomes), the first value is width and the second is height
--
162343-albums4195-picture39665.jpg
162343-albums4195-picture39664.jpg

h) now that you have confirmed your resolution (make sure you use the correct values here), double click "reswidth" (make sure the decimal option is selected before you input your value) and change the value to your desired resolution; repeat for "resheight"
--

i) test it out!

162343-albums4195-picture39666.jpg

• Hope this is helpful!

Last edited:
Level 9
I didn't expect someone in the hive will post a thread like this.... This thread should be a sticky... Anyway good job! :thumbs_up:

Sticky, eh. It'd have to be a pretty important guide then :p

It really depends on how many people actually need such information and if they are even looking for it - I doubt very many people have searched for such things on the Hive, it's just not what they come here to do. I simply found out how to do this via editing my BF2142 registry for 1920 x 1080 as well (then found other tutorials online about the same thing). I do wonder though what the mainstream monitor size is nowadays - 18" to 20" widescreens are pretty cheap now in terms of monitors.

Thanks for the comments though and still hope some people can get past that lame widescreen stretch!

Status
Not open for further replies.