• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

High resolution with WC3

Level 4
Larger monitors, 21" or larger, have native resolutions that are not supported by Warcraft 3.
There is, of course, a way to force Warcraft 3 (both Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne) to run in a high or widescreen resolution.
The only way to do this is to do a simple registry edit.
I have included a couple of pictures to demonstrate how to do this registry edit. I have done this before in the past and it is safe.

First, we need to open a 'run' window. Go to Start--->Run--->RegEdit. Then follow the below navigation...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\Video

There are two variables that you must change: resheight and reswidth.

Make sure you change the default hex value to decimal value.

Example - 24" widescreen with 1920x1200 resolution.

reswidth = 1920
resheight = 1200

You may have to restart Warcraft 3 for the change to take effect. Thats all there is to it! Have fun playing Warcraft 3 with your monitor's native resolution.

Tutorial Pics
Step 1

war3regedit1.jpg

Step 2

war3regedit2.jpg

Level 7
I dislike playing with a stretched screen. I prefer the Wc3 native resolution over some fat looking view :/

It doesn't stretch it. That's what your computer would normally do. Instead, it displays more of the game, and thereby more pixels, making better use of bigger monitors.

Essentially, you're concentrating the game, which is all that resolution settings really do.

Level 7
The interface, being an image, will be stretched, but it's not really noticeable. However, the actual game will display as it should, with no distortion of models or text. You will also be able to see more of the game. :smile:

I tried taking screens, but WC3 just takes them at one of the preset resolutions, so I'd prove nothing.

Level 19
I have a problem when I did this, my Warcraft III now has a lot of fuzzy images (Kind of like in those broken TVs) and keeps making the screen turn black every few seconds, I really hope there's a way to fix this.
I'm running on a Vista with a I-Don't-Know-What-Size Monitor...

Edit: Fixed! But how do I bring it back to my usual 640 x 480 View without having those fuzzy images pop out?

Edit #2: Sorry... It happened again, the settings were automatically set back to normal and the fuzzy stuff came out. I'm guessing that now the only way I can play Warcraft III without the fuzzy stuff would be to set the resolution every time, I find this pretty hard to cope with, could there be a way to get it back to normal?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Find the native resolution of your display and put that into the options via regedit. Also update your graphic driver. Finally make sure aa and stuff is turned off.

If you are using an TFT/LCD display with an VGA connector or DVI in analogue mode, use the auto option to adjust it.

Level 19
So how do I bring it back to normal, I don't understand, I'm really sorry...

PS: Maybe you could put it in simpler terms for me please:)