• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mac Beta Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I have the beta on my mac and I have realized that it is not anywhere near the patch that the pc patch is on now. Does anyone know what patch the mac is currently on? Also, is there a site I can visit to provide updates on the patches that the mac is getting?

I really want the editor to come out for the mac because my pc cannot run the beta.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Ultimatly, you will not be getting the quality product that you would if you have a windows PC. This is purly cause it makes no sense pooring an equal volume of money on a product which will make up 5% of the sales or less. This is sad and would be made easier if mac would have more components in common so less porting is needed.

However, I do not think the mac is that far behind compared to the PC (multiplayer would not work them). The patch version numbers may be different cause of different fixes being needed but the melee ballence is probably the same. The editor not being available is probably cause the mac version of it is not finished yet (they only ported the game) thus you might have to wait a bit longer.

Some of the sujestions above are advisible in the meantime. Getting the mac to attempt to run it like a windows machine would or getting it to virtualize a windows version into a windows would probably yield good results until it is released for macs.

Ultimatly if you have a windows machine, use that.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Well, incase you have not ralised, SC2 uses OpenGl (some version), DX9 or DX10 (only one at once).

Windows users default to DX10 (9 for XP). OpenGL can be choosen via command line probably or hidden option.
Mac users default to OpenGL. As all they run is OpenGL it will always use OpenGL. They can run the DirectX versions if they virtualize the OS or if their windows emulators can convert enough of DirectX to OpenGL (impossible on some DX games and walys months behind).

Level 10
Well, incase you have not ralised, SC2 uses OpenGl (some version), DX9 or DX10 (only one at once).

Windows users default to DX10 (9 for XP). OpenGL can be choosen via command line probably or hidden option.
Mac users default to OpenGL. As all they run is OpenGL it will always use OpenGL. They can run the DirectX versions if they virtualize the OS or if their windows emulators can convert enough of DirectX to OpenGL (impossible on some DX games and walys months behind).

My point was that this might be why the Mac client is behind, if they use Open GL and not DirX.

Just trying to figure out why they are behind...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Its cause its a port. Like with WC3, the problems present between versions are different. In Windows SC2 you might have a crash caused by X. In Mac SC2 X works fine yet Y might crash. Y works fine in windows.

In the mac WC3, terrain elevation changes ingame via triggers caused splits with windows users. Windows users never encountered this split with other windows users.

Its cause they are so different.

I could be mirrored to 360/PS3 games. Although in that situation hardware differences is a slight problem, the underlying principles are the same.

Level 11
Getting the mac to attempt to run it like a windows machine would or getting it to virtualize a windows version into a windows would probably yield good results until it is released for macs.

Ultimatly if you have a windows machine, use that.

Boot Camp would work just fine, it is not a simulation or virtualization, all Boot Camp does is partition your computer and format it so that you can install Windows on it (Well also it installs some extra programs to the windows side, Safari, Quicktime, iTunes, Software Update, but those wouldn't adversely affect performance). And it is part of the installation, so it is, of course, free.

But basically it should run just as well as on a windows computer.

In fact, lol, ironically PC World tested a few years ago, and found the Macbook Pro to be the best computer to run Vista. (PC World)

Level 10
Wait, wait, wait - are you saying the beta for Mac does not include the Galaxy Editor?!

So...much...rage... :angry:

To all the people suggesting virtualization or dual-booting: that's hardly a solution to the goal of running the Galaxy Editor in Mac OS X. As in, not Windows.

Level 5
To all the people suggesting virtualization or dual-booting: that's hardly a solution to the goal of running the Galaxy Editor in Mac OS X. As in, not Windows.

Exactly. I want to run the editor on my mac and was wondering how far off the mac beta is from the pc beta. I have boot camp but am getting rid of it because Steam now runs on mac :) So I'm just trying to get most of my apps to be able to work on mac.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Incorrect, the mac version of WE for WC3 is apparently very backwards and buggy compared to the Windows equivelent and most patches never fixed anything with it.

The same goes for the actual WC3 game, where unique bugs are present in the mac version that are not on the windows version.

Thus, yes they do support mac along with the primary PC, however do not expect a product of equal quality. We can always hope blizzard sets an example with SC2 by showing us how mac support should be, but their past examples do not hold any promises. It would probably end up better in the long term if they ignored the mac editor completly but got the actual game working on parrallel to the Windows version, so atleast there would be no Windows to Mac related desyncs like WC3 had.

Level 2
Incorrect, the mac version of WE for WC3 is apparently very backwards and buggy compared to the Windows equivelent and most patches never fixed anything with it.

The same goes for the actual WC3 game, where unique bugs are present in the mac version that are not on the windows version.

Thus, yes they do support mac along with the primary PC, however do not expect a product of equal quality. We can always hope blizzard sets an example with SC2 by showing us how mac support should be, but their past examples do not hold any promises. It would probably end up better in the long term if they ignored the mac editor completly but got the actual game working on parrallel to the Windows version, so atleast there would be no Windows to Mac related desyncs like WC3 had.

I had no trouble with my copy of the Mac editor for Warcraft III. Additionally I could play every custom game I tried with no problems (often playing over LAN with my Windows-using friend. Again, no problems).
When you say "apparently", you don't seem very sure. I wouldn't state "Incorrect" flat out without being sure of something, but that may just be me.

---

Anyway, I have some bad news for us Mac-users. According to Padim, a Blizzard poster on the North Amerian Battle.net forums, there is not much of a chance for us to access the editor before retail.
Padim said:
Gio.pgio said:
Does anyone know if the editor will be out before the beta goes down on the 31st? This way I have something to do for about a month until it comes back up, lol.

It doesn't look like it will be unfortunately.

Source: http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=24702396469&sid=5000

So, we're out of luck for now.

Level 10
You need to type your email and password to authenticate it.

First, it failed to allow clicks on the "Accept" button in the license agreement window (since that window popped up behind the authentication window and did not recognize clicks or hitting "enter" even when moved to the side), and then, when I managed to agree to the license (by minimizing the authentication window, switching to a different app, then switching back), it wouldn't allow authentication because I don't have an SC2 character presently created, and I am unable to create one because of a bug with the latest patch on Mac which does not allow it to sign on to Battle.net.

Level 11
Just for the sake of the conversation, I can vouch that the Mac and Windows versions of WC3 and the World Editor don't have "bug parity".

I'm still disappointed that there's no Galaxy Editor out for Mac, yet.
Incorrect. There are several functions which will desync only macs, for example the deal damage in area one. Also, the smart camera pan could cause desyncs due to rounding errors or something for macs. Additionally, converting certain image formats into blp textures would create textures that desync any mac users who view them. IE, in one game there was a certain item with such a texture; someone could simply drop it into the inventory of someone on a mac, causing them to be instantly disconnected.

But whatever, it's a beta, they are probably still working out glitches and such. I'm sure they will have it in the release, and it won't kill you to wait. :\

Level 10
Incorrect. There are several functions which will desync only macs [snip]
What do you mean, "incorrect"? Those examples support my claim. When I said they don't have "bug parity", it means there are different bugs on each platform.

[edit] The StarCraft II Editor appears to be working now after the BNet server fix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.