• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Lower the post waiting time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I have noticed that there is a minimum waiting time between posts before you may post another. I am a reasonably fast typist, no where near the fastest but this "Feature" seems to be slowing me down quite a bit. I often sit and wait for 40-50 seconds just to post. Perhaps it can be lowered to 10-20 seconds? I don't imagine this is taking stress off of the server but instead adding more by having to keep track of how long it's been since your last post. I think that reducing it or making it only become active after, say 20 posts within an hour would be an improvement to the site.

I do, Ralle. Oftentimes I log on and want to rate a bunch of resources. Sometimes there will be a lot of icons that I haven't seen, and I want to comment and rate them all. It only takes me about 30 seconds to check the icon, see what it's supposed to be, come up with my opinion of it, type it, and rate it. Then I have to wait 30 more seconds for the next post, making it take twice as long. So, when I want to rate a dozen icons, I have to wait 12 minutes, rather than just rating them all in a few minutes.

It's not urgent that this be changed, but I do think it would be convenient if the limit was changed to something like 30 seconds per post & 30 posts per hour, whatever's hit first.

I have halved the delay now. 30 seconds.

Great! I'm sure a lot of people will be grateful.

30 seconds is long enough that a spammer would get bored of waiting after a few posts, but short enough that people who simply type fast won't mind waiting a few seconds, since they would actually care about what they're posting.

It's a good middle-ground.

Level 28
First off, I didn't mind the 60s limit but it's also fine now.
Secondly, just a short annex: People use scripts by now; they set the posting interval to 31s after reading this thread.
Those what you call spammers are just people wanting to boast with their time wasted on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.