• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lower/Raise Terrain Properly? Nothing seems to work in patch 1.31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 39
It DOES work you just have to put it in the right folder as specified in the thread. Everyone who tries this says “it doesn’t work” so we say “yes it does check the folder path” and then they say “thanks it worked” when it actually does. There are many threads about this on THW that play out the exact same way.

Level 12
It DOES work you just have to put it in the right folder as specified in the thread. Everyone who tries this says “it doesn’t work” so we say “yes it does check the folder path” and then they say “thanks it worked” when it actually does. There are many threads about this on THW that play out the exact same way.
I only found 1 from last year. Maybe the game update changed the thing again?
So far I've tried the following variants of this trick with no success:

Warcarft III\war3.mpq\UI\MiscData
Warcarft III\war3.mpq\UI\MiscData.txt (.txt part of the name not file type indicator)
Warcarft III\war3.mpq\UI\miscdata
Warcarft III\war3.mpq\UI\miscdata.txt
Warcarft III\UI\MiscData
Warcarft III\UI\MiscData.txt
Warcarft III\x86\UI\MiscData
Warcarft III\x86\UI\MiscData.txt
Warcarft III\x86\war3.mpq\UI\MiscData
Warcarft III\x86\war3.mpq\UI\MiscData.txt
Warcarft III\war3.mpq\UI\MiscData.txt\MiscData
Warcarft III\war3.mpq\UI\MiscData.txt\MiscData.txt
(Warcraft III folder in my documents where the maps are stored) Warcarft III\war3.mpq\UI\MiscData
Warcarft III\war3.mpq\UI\MiscData.txt
Warcarft III\UI\MiscData
Warcarft III\UI\MiscData.txt
Importing the file into the map with the path: MiscData
Importing the file into the map with the path: MiscData.txt
Importing the file into the map with the path: MiscData.txt.txt

So far the only idea I have is trying to edit the map in the old version of the game and seeing if it works there but seems like such a clonky solution.

Last edited:
Level 12
I've tried 19 variants so far with no luck. I've got a couple dozen more variants to try out in mind but I want to try narrowing it down a bit...

1) in which "Warcraft III folder" is it supposed to go into? the one where the application is? The one where the maps are? The main one?
Untitled.png

2) is "war3.mpq" just the name of the folder? it's not an actual file with a mpq extension?

3) is "MiscData.txt" a folder name which the MiscData file with the txt extension supposed to go into?

4) is the text file named "MiscData" or "MiscData.txt" (effectively "MiscData.txt.txt if taking the extension into account)?

5) are the letters M and D in "MiscData" capitalized?

6) what exactly in the "MiscData" text file indicates the cliff limit? is it the "MaxSlope=90" line? i downloaded mine from the tutorial page but judging that 19 of the most intuitive solutions failed i suspect something may be wrong with it.

7) does this really work for my version? it says for version 1.30 but i have version 1.31

Level 39
It definitively does work in 1.31. Here's the solution:
I think one of the recent patches reset local file enabling to false, wherefore your miscdata.txt will not apply any functions.

1 You'd have to make sure your miscdata is present in your warcraft 3 installation folder and then subfolder UI (Warcraft III\UI).
2 Then open regedit and navigate to "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III"
3 Create a new D-word value (32 bit), named "Allow Local Files" and set it to "1".

This will bug out buff icons ingame (all buff icons are displayed as black) as long as in use, which is negligible i'd say.
And then place the file as MiscData.txt in C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\UI if you did not change the default installation folder. This is not either of the x86 or x86_64 folders, but the main wc3 installation folder. The war3.mpq folder is no longer necessary because that folder was removed from the CASC structure (apparently).

Doing these steps worked for me. I used the MiscData.txt from this tutorial: Advanced Terraining Tutorial

Level 12
It definitively does work in 1.31. Here's the solution:

And then place the file as MiscData.txt in C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\UI if you did not change the default installation folder. This is not either of the x86 or x86_64 folders, but the main wc3 installation folder. The war3.mpq folder is no longer necessary because that folder was removed from the CASC structure (apparently).

Doing these steps worked for me. I used the MiscData.txt from this tutorial: Advanced Terraining Tutorial
Now that's what I am talking about! A solution that works! Thanks a lot. I was begining to lose hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.