• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Looking for terrainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Terraining is definitely not the best of my skills and my maps have always been rejected just because they had terrible terrain so I want this next project that I'm working on to be a success by having the best terrain. I’ve done most of the map already and the only thing left is the terrain.

I really don’t want to mess up this map as it is the only map that I have put many hours and have the biggest hopes for.

The map is in Eastern America in the year 2014 after a huge disaster has brought down most cities like New York, Washington DC and Philadelphia. This map is set in a forest area where some little towns lay in ruins. There are two rivers flowing through the map and they meet in the bottom right corner.

197680-albums4574-picture44794.png

Can you please keep the general layout of the map it’s just the plainness of the terrain that I’m worried about.

I attached the current map file so the terrain could be changed.

Attachments

• Modernwar by Arth99.w3x
    2.8 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I wasn't going to use them in the first place, I wanted to know if you wanted me to build the terrain of the map to be similar to that, with areas for unit placement and such. When I make the terrain, I'm going to delete all doodads, delete all units, flatten all terrain, get the terrain to a specific height level, and clear all tiles (basically, I'm going to entirely reset your terrain and then recreate it from scratch, because your cliffs edges on water are ugly as shit, plus I'm going to make a larger map)
Are trees in your map going to be destroyable/gathered for lumber? Because, if they're permanent, then I would be able to use doodads rather than the normal destructible trees (destructible limit of 6145 is very easy to reach on a 256x256 map)

Last edited:
Arth... you don't get lumber from rocks.
You probably want the rocks to be gathered as a stone resource. That cannot be done using doodads, unless you replaced the lumber resource with stone.
If you want the rocks to be harvested, you would have to create a triggered system for gathering, returning to the nearest drop-off, gaining resources, which would show on a leaderboard using an integer converted to a string, and you would have to trigger it to then send that unit back to the nearest rock... Considering how low your map-making skills seem to be (I do not mean this as an insult), I don't think you would be able to make a functioning system for this. I'm currently making a system very similar to this for a map of my own, which uses 6 different resources, however I don't want to lend my own complicated systems out for others to use, unless I've made the triggers specifically for that person. When you have multiple maps using the same trigger systems, people tend to credit whichever map they saw first, rather than whoever actually made the systems.

Then I would advise not calling that resource Minerals, because wood is not a mineral. Rather, you should call your gold resource Currency and your lumber/rock resource Resources. And, having rock as a resource would complicate things, as rocks are sure to be part of the terrain, such as mountains, and you can't attack a terrain tile >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.