• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Looking for Feedback on my model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello Everyone,

I created a model that is supposed to be an alternative to the normal Water Elemental in Warcraft 3. I intend to submit this to the 'Models' section and hopefully get it approved.

I'd like some feedback on my model before I submit this to the Models forum in case I need to make improvements.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have a WIP. Please take a look at that version and give some feedback

Attachments

• CustomWaterElemental.mdx
    105.2 KB · Views: 39
  • CustomerWaterElemental2.png
    CustomerWaterElemental2.png
    452.5 KB · Views: 35
  • CustomWaterElemental.png
    CustomWaterElemental.png
    404 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
On a technical stand point this model has a lot of stuff that is needed for a proper wc3 model to function (expect for event objects and other mayor details) and the idea of an alternate version of a summon is cool, but the model's design, animations, shape, the UV wrapping and the employment of textures just straight up does not look like a wc3 model at all and is just straight up bad looking.

You might want to read up on some tutorials and get inspired by regular models how things might fit into wc3.

Level 21
Looks like a mixture of a giraffe, an octopus and an upside down stool.:huh:

As General Frank already said, you might want to add some event objects and collision shapes.

The animations could definitely use more work.

Emission rate of 600 in particle emitters can cause lag on some computers; you should lower it as much as possible.

The entire model should become invisible at the end of the death animation.

Spell animations are generally non looping.

Level 6
Here's an update:
  • I've redesigned the water elemental to more closely resemble the warcraft 3 one
  • I don't have animations done, nor do I have all the other technical stuff needed
  • I will need to clean up a whole bunch of other stuff
I'd like to get some feedback on this WIP version before I commit too much more time to it. In particular:
  • Do the texture animations look alright?
  • Is the basic shape good?

I've been trying to open the waterelemental.mdx that is in my version of Warcraft 3, but I'm having difficulty right now. If I could, I would probably copy some more from the water elemental

EDIT: I managed to find an old version of Warcraft 3 and get the MPQ files from there. It seems that the .mdx files in the newer versions of Warcraft 3 are different, as they simply don't work with the old mdx converter.

Attachments

• CustomerWaterElemental2.png
    CustomerWaterElemental2.png
    452.5 KB · Views: 36
  • CustomWaterElemental.mdx
    105.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.