• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Long Field of View

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is a 'How-To-Do Long Field of View'.
Why is it made? Because several of you, don't know how to do one.
I added a Act Board for easier navigation in this thread, even if it doesn't get long.

To be honest, if you see something in the text that needs fix, please PM me the fixed one, I ain't that good in English.

Ideas are free aswell here!!

Starting Up

Okay, let's get started! But first, make sure you have 'Warcraft III The Frozen Throne'. ;)

I will introduce you how to make 'Long Field of View', step by step.
That way, it won't be hard for you to do it.

First step:

Go to your 'Data Drive' ( Normally 'C' - From there, go to 'Program Files'. If you got 'X64', go to 'Program Files (x86)' ), then locate 'Warcraft III' folder and open it.

Second step:

When you've found your 'Warcraft III folder', locate 'World Editor.exe', or 'worldedit.exe', which should be on the bottom of the folder.

Third step:

Open your 'World Editor.exe//worldedit.exe' by double clicking it. '(Or Right Click, Open//Run//Start)'

Fourth Step:

While your 'World Editor' is loading, you have to make sure not to disturb the opening progress.

Fifth step:

As you now are in the 'World Editor', locate 'Module - Trigger Editor'.

Sixth step:

Create a 'new category', and name it as you want.
'How to make a new category?' - Right click on the map icon (On top of all the 'categories//triggers'), then select 'New Category'.

Seventh Step:

As you now have a 'new category', you will need a 'new trigger' aswell.
'How to make a new trigger?' - Right click over the 'Category' you just made, then select 'New Trigger'.

Eighth Step:

As you should now have your very own 'trigger' opened, we will create the 'Event + Action'.

Ninth Step:

As for the event, we will choose:
  • Map Initialization
And for the action, we will choose:
  • Camera - Set Player 1 (Red)'s camera Far Z to 1000000000.00 over 0.00 seconds
'How to make Event?' - Right click over the 'Events', and select 'New Event'.
'How to make Action?' - Right click over 'Actions', and select 'New Action'.

Tenth Step:

How to make the 'functions' mentioned in 'Ninth step'?

Follow the 'Ninth Step How-To's', and for 'event', Pick 'Map Initialization'. For the 'action', select 'Camera/Set Camera Field (Timed)'. Take a close look at 'Ninth Step', and you should be done.

Finishing Touches

We might want some eye-candy, so you might want to create good terrain, therefore learn terraining, by reading the tutorials (Found here).
Secondly, we want a Fog. Not too deep one, let the fog be light, incase you want long view.
This one here, is OK fog:
  • Environment - Set fog to style Linear, z-start 0.00, z-end 8000.00, density 0.10 and color (5.00%, 15.00%, 25.00%)
To let the the doodads run free on the background, choose "Animate in Fog" in the object editor - Doodads section.
And well, for performance, don't select that option. The map's doodads in long-range will not be animated, but they will be better for low-end computers.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Unnecessarily wordy and long for such a simple tutorial.

1. Launch WE
2. Open the Trigger Editor module
3. Create a new trigger with Map Initialization as event.
4. Add the following action to your trigger:
Camera - Set Player 1 (Red)'s camera Far Z to 1000000000.00 over 0.00 seconds
5. Add fog to your terrain using this action:
Environment - Set fog to style Linear, z-start 0.00, z-end 8000.00, density 0.10 and color (5.00%, 15.00%, 25.00%)

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 22
This is a tutorial, not a how-to.

Definition of how-to:
"A how-to or a how to is an informal, often short, description of how to accomplish some specific task."

Definition of tutorial:
"A manual designed to teach novices how to use a computer system, usually in a step-by-step way."

Pwnd, am I rite?

Last edited:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

A tutorial is a collection of how-tos (more or less detailed) that explains a series of specific tasks to reach a more complex goal. If you had just explained the trigger needed to adjust the camera, it would have been a how-to. Either way, this should be a how-to, and it should be part of a large tutorial in basic, useful triggering, where this how-to explains the "Long Field View" and only that.

Level 22
Lol, I should have expected that you would want to argue about the definitions even though I supported your previous statement (in case you don't remember, the one where you said this was a tutorial).
Your definition could be correct if you want to call the steps how-tos instead, but I wouldn't exactly call this a how-to though:
From teh tutorial said:
Go to your 'Data Drive' ( Normally 'C' - From there, go to 'Program Files'. If you got 'X64', go to 'Program Files (x86)' ), then locate 'Warcraft III' folder and open it.
I must say it's just a step, i.e something you need to do before you can continue to the next step, and eventually reach your goal. For example, a step could be "Open your book", while the how-to would explain how you would open that book.

If you really feel obliged to argue more then do it in VM's or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.