• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lightning effects and missiles not appearing

Level 2
Hey guys, maybe someone knows what I'm doing wrong. Any time I try using lightning effects or try using lightning missiles, whether for spells or unit attacks, the spell does not appear. I've tried in the test map as well as in the actual game. Doesn't matter if it's lightning attack, finger of death, etc. I've tried this in SD and HD. Any idea on where I can start to fix this?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Triggered lightning has been broken on the latest patches, I think since 1.32. Not sure if the SD problems were present until a more recent patch.

But if you're saying that the standard abilities like Chain Lightning aren't displaying the lightning effect then that's another story. I'm no expert on what to do in that situation, my only advice would be to reinstall the game.

Level 2
Just tried reinstalling the game however I'm having the same issue. I even deleted the editor and deleted maps from the Onedrive and am getting the same results. I am getting a lot of popcornfx errors while scrolling through missile art selections too, maybe that help narrow down my issue. For the record, the default abilities and units that use lightning effects work no problem. It's when I give a unit the missile art of lightning or make a custom ability that it fails.

I'm also not using triggered lightning.

Level 2
Thanks for pointing that out Chaosium. I'm so happy I can finally make units with lightning attacks now. It seems that I have to use the default spells that use lightning effects as the base for custom lightning spells. I cannot get channel to use visible lightning effects either.

Level 2
I tried making it use lightning effects in the triggers and nothing happened. referencing an old guide on how to create lightning. I may have messed it up though since I usually do not mess with advanced stuff like triggers and the like.

Edit: Uncle mentioned the triggers earlier and somehow that message went over my head. Sorry man.