• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Can we make missile-bounce look like chain-lightning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So, as a means of solving a different problem, a forum member mentioned making missile-bounce look like chain-lightning, rather than using the actual spell chain-lightning.

In the past, I've had trouble getting the lightning effect to appear in certain situations.

I've been under the assumption that the ability "Lightning Attack" is needed to get the Thunder-Lizard / Chimera style lightning bolt attack, but this ability does not seem to pair well with 2 things.

• Can a variation of Barrage (multi-shot) use the lightning-attack animation instead of standard projectiles?
  • Can missile-bounce use the lightning-attack animation as well, so essentially it would look like chain-lightning?

I'm not sure if either of these requests are even possible, because I don't really understand what the ability Lightning-Attack does besides make the lightning animation work for missile and missile-splash projectiles.

(On the side, I think the ability Spider-Attack is similar - it only exists to make get the animation of projectile-returning-to-the-attacker working properly.)

Level 6
For the barrage question:

- Yes I guess you can use the lightning strike animation because it is an ability projectile like others but longer.

For the missile-bounce question:

- Yes its possible to make a bouncing ability with the lightning attack animation, just make a dummy unit with the lightning's attack model and make it bounce after he beats a unit, wall, destructible, etc.

Good Luck.

Level 4
As an alternative to Ragna's suggestion,

Have the normal attack have no bounce, but have it create a dummy unit that casts Chain Lightning. Make sure the availiable targets are right for the object you are trying to attack. If you don't know how to give a order, use "issue an order targeting a unit" and select the chain lighning order string, even if the name of the spell is different.

Also:

To make a single target zap, have upon attack:

Create lightning attack From attacking unit To attacked unit. This will create the illusion of a bolt attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.