• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Lightning Dash Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Well I have an ability for my Storm Panda which is called Lightning Dash.

Basically the Panda targets a location, creates a rolling panda dummy which is then dash through the targeted area only for the main hero to appear when the rolling panda dummy arrives at the destination point which then damage enemies upon arrival

The problem is my rolling panda dummy doesn't move.

Also lightning triggered effects are created while dashing similar to Storm Spirit's(DOTA) Ball Lightning ability but doesn't use mana every second of the dash.

• Lightning Dash Main
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Lightning Dash
    • Actions
      • Set ld_caster = (Triggering unit)
      • Set ld_casterloc = (Position of ld_caster)
      • Set ld_createdloc = (Position of (Last created unit))
      • Set ld_targetloc = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Unit - Create 1 Lightning Dash Dummy for (Owner of ld_caster) at ld_casterloc facing (Angle from ld_casterloc to ld_targetloc) degrees
      • Unit - Hide ld_caster
      • Lightning - Create a Chain Lightning - Primary lightning effect from source ld_casterloc to target ld_createdloc
      • Trigger - Turn on Lightning Dash Move <gen>
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_ld_casterloc)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_ld_createdloc)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_ld_targetloc)
  • Lightning Dash Move
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.02 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set ld_createdloc = (Position of (Last created unit))
      • Set ld_offset = (ld_createdloc offset by 20.00 towards (Angle from ld_createdloc to ld_targetloc) degrees)
      • Unit - Move (Last created unit) instantly to ld_offset
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ld_createdloc using Abilities\Weapons\Bolt\BoltImpact.mdl
      • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
      • Lightning - Move (Last created lightning effect) to source ld_casterloc and target ld_createdloc
      • Set ld_distance = (Distance between ld_createdloc and ld_targetloc)
      • Set ld_group = (Units within 250.00 of ld_createdloc matching ((((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of ld_created)) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True)))
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • ld_distance Less than 5.00
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Unhide ld_caster
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ld_createdloc using Abilities\Spells\Human\ThunderClap\ThunderClapCaster.mdl
          • Lightning - Destroy (Last created lightning effect)
          • Unit Group - Pick every unit in ld_group and do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Unit - Cause ld_caster to damage (Picked unit), dealing ((Max mana of ld_caster) x 0.15) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Magic
          • Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
        • Else - Actions
      • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_ld_group)

Level 10
Why are you using last created unit all the time instead of your variables? your variables are in wrong order. You should try to index your varables so you don't have to make three different kinds for location.
ld_loc[1] = Position of Casting Unit
ld_loc[2] = Position of Last Created Unit
ld_loc[3] = Point Target of Ability Being Caster

Level 24
1, use 0.03 or 1/32 for interval durations.
2, NEVER USE THOSE TRIGGER RESPONSES WHEN YOU CANT USE THEM!!!

Really? "Every 0.02 seconds of game time" -> (Target point of ability being cast)
Really? "Every 0.02 seconds of game time" -> (Last created unit)
Really? "Every 0.02 seconds of game time" -> (Last created lightning effect)

Where the f is the target point of ability being cast when you arent referring to a casting event?
Who the f is the last created unit?
Where in the world would you ever use last created lightning in the first place?

Level 12
Last created unit is the dummy ability.. A stormpandarenmissile..

Target point of ability being cast is where the location the dash should be heading.. The one who moves should be the last created unit to the target location.

Cause I just created a lightning in the initial trigger..

NOW! IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOMETHING IN MIND THAT COULD LITERALLY HELP ME WITH THIS I SUGGEST YOU SHOULD GET OUT OF HERE!

Level 20

Target point of ability being cast is where the location the dash should be heading.. The one who moves should be the last created unit to the target location.

NOW! IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOMETHING IN MIND THAT COULD LITERALLY HELP ME WITH THIS I SUGGEST YOU SHOULD GET OUT OF HERE!

No that's not it.
Target point of ability being cast literally refers to nothing as the event is Every 0.02 seconds of game time.

Level 10
I think I fixed it. But I suggest keeping track of the distance with a Real Variable called distance traveled, which will be the distance from the caster to the target point. Every 0.03 seconds, deduct 20 (the distance traveled every 0.03), then once distance traveled reaches 0.00 or less, turn off the trigger.
  • Lightning Dash Main
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set ld_caster = (Casting unit)
      • Set ld_casterloc = (Position of ld_caster)
      • Unit - Create 1 Lightning Dash Dummy for (Owner of ld_caster) at ld_casterloc facing (Angle from ld_casterloc to ld_targetloc) degrees
      • Set ld_dummy = (Last created unit)
      • Unit - Hide ld_caster
      • Lightning - Create a Chain Lightning - Primary lightning effect from source ld_casterloc to ld_targetloc
      • Set ld_lightningeffect = (Last created lightning effect)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_ld_casterloc)
  • Lightning Dash Move
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.03 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set ld_createdloc = (Position of ld_dummy)
      • Set ld_offset = (ld_createdloc offset by 20.00 towards (Angle from ld_createdloc to ld_targetloc) degrees)
      • Unit - Move (ld_dummy) instantly to ld_offset
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ld_createdloc using Abilities\Weapons\Bolt\BoltImpact.mdl
      • Lightning - Move (ld_lightningeffect) to source ld_createdloc and target ld_targetloc
      • Set ld_distance = (Distance between ld_createdloc and ld_targetloc)
        • If - Conditions
          • ld_distance Less than 20.00
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Unhide ld_caster
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ld_createdloc using Abilities\Spells\Human\ThunderClap\ThunderClapCaster.mdl
          • Lightning - Destroy ld_lightningeffect
          • Set ld_group = (Units within 250.00 of ld_createdloc matching ((((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of ld_caster)) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True)))
          • Unit Group - Pick every unit in ld_group and do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Unit - Cause ld_caster to damage (Picked unit), dealing ((Max mana of ld_caster) x 0.15) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Magic
        • Else - Actions

Level 24

There you are wrong.
1, The last created unit is NOT the dummy ability... wait wut?
The last created unit can never be an ability in the first place.
In any case the last created unit CHANGES (most probably) during the duration of your spell.
That means that your missile will not move any more and instead a footman that just walked out of your barracks... that considered that you dont have an f-load of unit creation triggers in the first place.

Target point of ability being cast is not the target location of your missile.
In the first place, "ability being cast" is null because your event is not fired by an ability cast event.
And thus the target location is (0, 0) which is ussually the center of the map.

Last created lightning is the same story as last created unit.
Any lightning that will be made after your cast trigger will overwrite the variable and thus will replace your lightning in actions.

And dont assume I dont have anything to say... I never wouldnt say anything that wouldnt help noone... I wanted you to think about what you were actually doing, but it seems you dont have any clue of what that trigger does in the first place.

@DEE-BOO
Be aware that it is not MUI and using a filter is not really good for readability, modifyability and it is just better to use an If/Then/Else inside the loop.
But next to that, it is indeed a fixed version of BABY's.

Level 24
Once you master making single player spells, then you should learn how to make them MUI. Crawl, walk, then run.

I have to disagree on you there.
Once you start making single unit spells, then you should start learning how to make them MUI.
It isn't a big step, so better start immediately.

Single unit spell "masters" often make spells that arent MUI capable cause of how they allocate data... in JASS at least cause of no possibility of multi dimensional arrays, etc.

Well I have an ability for my Storm Panda which is called Lightning Dash.

Basically the Panda targets a location, creates a rolling panda dummy which is then dash through the targeted area only for the main hero to appear when the rolling panda dummy arrives at the destination point which then damage enemies upon arrival

The problem is my rolling panda dummy doesn't move.

Also lightning triggered effects are created while dashing similar to Storm Spirit's(DOTA) Ball Lightning ability but doesn't use mana every second of the dash.

Did you get it fixed? I will try to help. First, what everyone is saying about MUI is easy and takes only a tiny amount of extra work, so I will just do it for you, rather than insist that you go learn how to do it yourself.

You miss a few simple variables that would make this spell run better and might even be the source of your problem. You need to keep track of every point, unit and occurrence of a spell. It's not magic ... (pun intended) you must set everything perfectly to be what it needs to be or it won't work. So set variables for each thing you use, i.e. caster, dummy, caster location, dummy loc, target of ability loc, level of ability, angle from caster loc to target loc, everything ... yes, everything should be set up first in your casting trigger. Then only use variables. Better yet, use indexed variables with an array. This way the spell can run more than once at any given time. I hope my example will give you a good idea of what I mean. Also, not need to get frustrated with people, they are all just trying to help you. It is a very special resource to have people who are amazing coders like Bribe and Wiethol trying to teach you. You should feel honored and rep them, not yell in caps. However, I understand getting frustrated when things don't work and you know people know the answer but you aren't getting them to tell it to you ... So here I go, I hope this helps...

Try this:

• Lightning Dash Main
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set i = i + 1 {this will make it MUI}*
      • Set ld_caster[i] = (Triggering unit)
      • Set ld_casterloc[i] = (Position of ld_caster)
      • ----wrong order ---- Set ld_createdloc[i] = (Position of (Last created unit)) ---use dummy_loc --- its a better name
      • Set ld_targetloc[i] = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Set id_angle [i] = (Angle from id_casterloc[i] to id_targetloc[i])
      • Set id_dummy[i] = (Last created unit)*
      • Set ld_createdloc[i] = (Position of (Last created unit))
      • Unit - Hide ld_caster[i]
      • Lightning - Create a Chain Lightning - Primary lightning effect from source ld_casterloc[i] to target ld_createdloc[i]
      • Set id_lightning[i] = (last created lightning)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_ld_casterloc[i])
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_ld_createdloc[i])
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_ld_targetloc[i])
*indicates important changes
  • Lightning Dash Move
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.03* seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • For each Integer A from 1 to i do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set ld_createdloc[(Integer A)] = (Position of (id_dummy[(Integer A)]))*
          • --- not needed --- Set ld_targetloc[(Integer A)] = (Target point of ability being cast) ----may null loc---*
          • Set ld_offset[(Integer A)] = (ld_createdloc[(Integer A)] offset by 20.00 towards (id_angle[(Integer A)]) degrees)*
          • Unit - Move (Last created unit) instantly to ld_offset[(Integer A)]*
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ld_createdloc[(Integer A)] using Abilities\Weapons\Bolt\BoltImpact.mdl*
          • Lightning - Move id_lightniing[(Integer A)] to source ld_casterloc[(Integer A)] and target ld_createdloc[(Integer A)]*
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_ld_createdloc[GetForLoopIndexA()])*
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_ld_targetloc[GetForLoopIndexA()])*
          • Set ld_distance[(Integer A)] = (Distance between ld_createdloc and ld_targetloc)
          • Set ld_group[(Integer A)] = (Units within 250.00 of ld_createdloc[(Integer A)] matching ((((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of ld_created[(Integer A)])) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True)))
            • If - Conditions
              • ld_distance[(Integer A)] Less than 5.00
            • Then - Actions
              • Set i = 0
              • Unit - Unhide ld_caster[(Integer A)]
              • Special Effect - Create a special effect at ld_createdloc[(Integer A)] using Abilities\Spells\Human\ThunderClap\ThunderClapCaster.mdl
              • Special Effect - Destroy (last created special effect)
              • Lightning - Destroy id_lightniing[(Integer A)]
              • Unit Group - Pick every unit in ld_group[(Integer A)] and do (Actions)
                • Loop - Actions
                  • Unit - Cause ld_caster[(Integer A)] to damage (Picked unit), dealing ((Max mana of ld_caster[(Integer A)]) x 0.15) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Magic
            • Else - Actions
          • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_ld_group[GetForLoopIndexA()])

I may have missed some arrays and things but you get the idea. Store everything you can in a variable in your casting trigger that way there is less work for the loop trigger every time it repeats. Also, this simple index will make it MUI. It is recommended that you use a variable instead of (Integer A) like Int_A. I think you should have everything you need to make a functioning dash spell. If you have other questions please ask.

Last edited:
Level 12
So far.. DEE BOO's work perfectly.. but sometimes it just holds in place if you cast it multiple times, but it only happens rarely for like 1/20 if i rate it.

EDIT: Not yell in caps? Have you reconsidered what the other one commented? He just used pretty much cursing word(which he censored) somewhat like he's yelling at me for being a noob at triggering.. And by the way, I needed help for this trigger, not lecturing.. If they want to help me in this trigger, they should just recreate my trigger and point out the mistakes in my trigger, and show me how to make it work, that way I can learn and fully understand what's going on my trigger.. Pointing out on my mistakes and hoping for the one who needed help is not just enough.. Sometimes you have to show.

Here's an example of a douche which yells at beginners just because they're so much pro at triggering!
said:
1, use 0.03 or 1/32 for interval durations.
2, NEVER USE THOSE TRIGGER RESPONSES WHEN YOU CANT USE THEM!!!

Really? "Every 0.02 seconds of game time" -> (Target point of ability being cast)
Really? "Every 0.02 seconds of game time" -> (Last created unit)
Really? "Every 0.02 seconds of game time" -> (Last created lightning effect)

Where the f is the target point of ability being cast when you arent referring to a casting event?
Who the f is the last created unit?
Where in the world would you ever use last created lightning in the first place?

I have the right to be enraged as I only I want goddamn answers on my trigger, and by answers I mean DEE BOO's
DEE BOO should deserve my respect as he is helping me everytime I have problems with triggering with no such questions or !@$% complains whatsoever. I needed helped, he answers, thats it.. Pretty simple.

My Reputation might be deducted like the last time but it would be worth it.. I'm just trying to express my thoughts about this.

Level 24
Hmm... maybe you can't read after all... "Toxic as hell."
I have a reputation to maintain you know.

In any case,
like he's yelling at me for being a noob at triggering..
Wrong.
And by the way, I needed help for this trigger, not lecturing..
Wrong.
If they want to help me in this trigger, they should just recreate my trigger
Hell wrong.
that way I can learn and fully understand what's going on my trigger..
Not necessarily wrong but neither right.
Pointing out on my mistakes and hoping for the one who needed help is not just enough.. Sometimes you have to show.
Not necessarily.

I didn't yell at you because of your triggering level.
I yelled at you because you didn't took enough time to understand triggering.
It is indirectly connected to your triggering level but they are definately different things.

You didn't need help for this trigger, you need lecturing about triggering.

Creating things for you is not teaching you how to things work.
Fom the looks of it, you will be back here tomorrow with your next trigger.
And you may understand that that is not what we are here for.
We are technically here to make you not come back... (to ask for help).

If you have the great power of fully understanding what is going on in a trigger when any of us created it, then I must admire you, but I can tell you that when I show you any of the triggers that I made recently, you can't understand any of them.
And the difference in that situation and this one is not really different.
I can guarantee you that when I created your spell in upmost performance and quality, you won't understand a damn thing about it.
Most people here can confirm that.

Pointing out on mistakes is what I do best :grin:, it is what people pay me for ussually and they thank me for it afterwards.
Teaching is not about how a student learns, it is about how a student reacts on different kinds of teachings. Each teacher has his own way and each student reacts differently.
There is no "best" way of teaching so I can't say that what I did is the best, but it is better than average in 9/10 cases. You simply happen to be the 10th.
(Technically speaking.)

Here's an example of a douche which yells at beginners just because they're so much pro at triggering!
I thank you for the compliment... at least the douche part.
Also, I dont "trigger" at all.

I have the right to be enraged
That's an odd statement... who are we to say what you are allowed to feel?

as I only I want goddamn answers on my trigger, and by answers I mean DEE BOO's
DEE BOO should deserve my respect as he is helping me everytime I have problems with triggering with no such questions or !@$% complains whatsoever. I needed helped, he answers, thats it.. Pretty simple.
Is it just me or is this the "Triggers and Scripts" forum and not the "Requests" forum?
Here we help you to understand what is wrong with your trigger/script or how to improve them and give feedback on it. And if necessary we explain how things work.
In the Request forum, you can ask people to make things for you because you can't/won't make it yourself... which can have many reasons.
Here, one guideline is that we don't make things for you. But instead we push you until you have achieved it yourself.

I'm just trying to express my thoughts about this.
One of the biggest flaws of the human race.
The world would be a so much better place if people just stopped expressing their thoughts all the time... especially those who use more than words: :goblin_boom:

Level 12
Wietlol said:
Hmm... maybe you can't read after all... "Toxic as hell."
I have a reputation to maintain you know.

In any case,

Wrong.

Wrong.

Hell wrong.

Not necessarily wrong but neither right.

Not necessarily.

I didn't yell at you because of your triggering level.
I yelled at you because you didn't took enough time to understand triggering.
It is indirectly connected to your triggering level but they are definately different things.

You didn't need help for this trigger, you need lecturing about triggering.

Creating things for you is not teaching you how to things work.
Fom the looks of it, you will be back here tomorrow with your next trigger.
And you may understand that that is not what we are here for.
We are technically here to make you not come back... (to ask for help).

If you have the great power of fully understanding what is going on in a trigger when any of us created it, then I must admire you, but I can tell you that when I show you any of the triggers that I made recently, you can't understand any of them.
And the difference in that situation and this one is not really different.
I can guarantee you that when I created your spell in upmost performance and quality, you won't understand a damn thing about it.
Most people here can confirm that.

Pointing out on mistakes is what I do best :grin:, it is what people pay me for ussually and they thank me for it afterwards.
Teaching is not about how a student learns, it is about how a student reacts on different kinds of teachings. Each teacher has his own way and each student reacts differently.
There is no "best" way of teaching so I can't say that what I did is the best, but it is better than average in 9/10 cases. You simply happen to be the 10th.
(Technically speaking.)

Learning from others by showing what is wrong to your trigger is more better than just understanding the trigger for yourself.. For example DEE BOO's, he showed me what is the order and outlook of my trigger in order to work, and I understand just a bit of what's the mistake in my trigger.. It also helps me create other spells by basing it off to this trigger(which I needed help) etc.. There's no best way of teaching, but lecturing me doesn't apply to me, The only teaching which applies to me is by showing.

Hey, Hive is here for a reason.. To seek help in times of need.. Plus I spent for like 5 hours trying to figure out the flaws in my trigger.. That's why I rushed here to ask.

If you are best at pointing out at other mistakes and mostly thank you afterwards, well for me its not a big help.. Well, that is just me.. We have different ways to understand triggering. Some of us learn from mistakes, some of us learn from demonstration, some of us learn from examples, and some of us learn, because simply they picked up the information somewhere unknowingly. Just like you said, there's no best way of teaching because each student differs from one another. I learn from demonstration and examples. That's my way of learning stuff.

Wietlol said:
I thank you for the compliment... at least the douche part.
Also, I dont "trigger" at all.

No problem

Wietlol said:
That's an odd statement... who are we to say what you are allowed to feel?

Who are we to say that we can't?

Wietlol said:
Is it just me or is this the "Triggers and Scripts" forum and not the "Requests" forum?
Here we help you to understand what is wrong with your trigger/script or how to improve them and give feedback on it. And if necessary we explain how things work.
In the Request forum, you can ask people to make things for you because you can't/won't make it yourself... which can have many reasons.
Here, one guideline is that we don't make things for you. But instead we push you until you have achieved it yourself.

I did needed help, I posted my triggers in this section simply because this isn't a request.. Your response are questions.. It made me confuse as hell why are you questioning me, I know what variables I used and what is the use for that.. I just needed help because it doesn't work. You don't have to necessarily yell at me for that.. You could've just went to the point and POINTED OUT WHAT TO DO in order for my trigger to work. Plus you said you don't even trigger. If you don't have words to say that could help me, I suggest you keep quite and just be on with it.

Wietlol said:
One of the biggest flaws of the human race.
The world would be a so much better place if people just stopped expressing their thoughts all the time... especially those who use more than words: :goblin_boom:

"Yeah the world would be so much better", expressing what makes us human.. Why on earth would the world be so much better without it? Do you want to live in a dull, world?

Edit: Now I pointed out basically my answers to this shenanigans, could you please be quite now? I have learned something just by watching the trigger of DEE BOO's and Legal Ease.

Edit: My reputation might be deducted for "FLAMING". Oh well, best be on with it :thumbs_up:

Edit: @ Legal Ease.. Well, it really doesn't matter if their so Pro at triggering, why should I be honored, although i would be thankful but not honored.. We're equal as human beings, even if they have the skills for triggering, it certainly isn't far for me to catch up to them.. It's just a matter of time before I completely catch up to them. If you think I'm bragging, I certainly am not bragging, I'm just telling the TRUTH. Thanks for the help tho.

One question tho, how does variable i = i+1 makes it MUI? Explain.. Well, I don't really have the time to learn MUI by tutorials, I'm kinda tight at schedule.

Last edited:
Level 37
One question tho, how does variable i = i+1 makes it MUI? Explain..

It's not i = i + 1 alone that makes it MUI, it is making variables an array and using the variable i as its array size. Everytime the ability is casted, i is incremented, thus making the variable unique and not overwriting the previous instance.

If only ONE unit (when I say ONE unit, I literally mean one) in your entire map is going to use the spell, there is no reason to make it MUI. However, if the spell isn't instantaneous, and there are multiple units (different or same) that can use it, you will encounter a ton of problems.

Well, I don't really have the time to learn MUI by tutorials, I'm kinda tight at schedule.

You don't have the time to learn how to make spells MUI, but you have the time to argue with Wiet over him lecturing you? You probably could have learned dynamic indexing in that time you spent.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
For multi player just keep in mind that this kind of event such as 0.02 second is very very very expensive and will lag (not matter what) unless your network is strong.

0.02 seconds is fine. It's not even 60FPS and has nothing to do with the network but the CPU involved.

I am closing this thread due to the hostility. Hive is a place for learning. It can get frustrating spending hours on a project, getting nowhere with it and then not getting instant results when you ask for help (sometimes we do that, though). Don't call people names, and don't try to insult other users because you don't agree with their methods. Better to teach someone to fish than to let them keep begging for fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.