• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Let's go "I"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I've been thinking about this... It's time for a change. Do you what I'm thinking about? I'm thinking: why not have a hiveworkshop app on iPhone iPad and iPod touch?

Well seriously... When will hive evolve from a Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 forum to a PORTABLE AND MOBILE Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 forum?

You see YouTube, google and other stuff move from a desktop to a touch screen. I myself widely use my iPhone to check on the hive and visit the forum. I'm sure a lot of other people in the hive rely on this versatile mobile device to do their daily hive update. Why don't there be a iPhone app for hive that we can do to check our profiles, visit the forum, send people private messages and change our account settings. The problem with just using the safari browser is that it lags a lot, it loads slowly and it's hard to maneuver through the hive. The app should be like facebook. You can select the options easier and you choose not to update the page so you can move from one post to another without having to reload the list of forums.

And hence I conclude that we should have an iPhone iPad iPod touch app for hive.

Why? because it'd be expensive and take a very long time to make (provided there were layout changes blah blah to make things easier & suchlike)

Also, just for the hell of it:
Mac_MacNuggets said:
problem with just using the safari browser is that it lags a lot, it loads slowly

Assuming you're reffering to using hive on an iPhone

Get another browser &/or a better internet, it's not the hive being slow, it's your connection. xP (could also be the speed of the phone)

Mac_MacNuggets said:
it's hard to maneuver through the hive.

Completely disagree, unless you have large fingers/nothing to "poke" the screen with (referring to touch screen) making it hard for you to push buttons.

Mac_MacNuggets said:
The app should be like facebook.

I'll die before I see that happen. [/facebook hatin']

Although having the an "I" app for the hive would be useful, it's completely not needed in my opinion.

Slightly offtopic: using an iPhone when you're away from a computer outside/away from home to check on a site daily? isn't there better things you can be doing, until you get home/a computer to do it?

iAnything is a huge waste of money for what you get out of it

-now that that's out of the way-
There's a low graphics setting just for this sort of thing (phones, pads, any other small piece of technology that can use the internet but has a horrid interface for surfing) anyway and I doubt we have anyone that codes those sorts of things that'd be willing to just do it randomly for no pay.

Level 2
No way we're going to make a HWS app. This site is perfect for the Iphone. Safari just have to adapt.

EDIT: We could just hide some of the bars that when you click it, the bar come out. Also, the avatar (and probably signature) could be hidden and the name, rank, report button and status bar be placed at the top of the post. Probably the bar will be the top bar together with the user data and related, footer and the quick reply. You could also hide the ads. Maybe that version will be stored in a seperate url like m.hiveworkshop.com or something like that.

Last edited:
Level 10
Too much work.. Sorry.

I'll have to agree with the guy in charge of the site. Creating a whole new app would not be necessary, not to say some stuff should be fixed for such a thing.
The ad at the top does block half the links (a 50/50 chance of hitting the ad or the link). Changing that would probably be #1.
For some odd reason, any link directing me towards my User CP doesn't work (as in it's seen as a link but acts like normal text). I don't know why, it just is. Not sure of the issue.
And the last problem is that, last time I checked, when you tap a maps preview it changes to the minimap view, but you can't change it back.
Everything else works pretty well for such a device.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Ralle is the only programmer the hive has, and he is busy making a new forum engine. This site lacks both the resources and finances to go mobile. A lot of people like me do not need or have a smart phone let alone an I device so it would be a huge wast of resources compared to other ares of development.

Status
Not open for further replies.