• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

iPhone/iPod touch HomePage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hey there, i just Got my own iPod touch, and im actually writing from it now. I chose to surf on hive with it, but i have realised that its not so good at thw. So i was just wondering if i am the only which would Like the HomePage to be iPod/iPhone supported. Or maybe we could even get An application Like ive seen for facebook.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The problem is the low resolution screen I would imagine, as although web pages are some what vector based (can vary in size to a degree) they do have fixed width objects, resulting in it looking messed up, and the graphics do not help the limated battery life and system resources.

For optimum use with mobile phones, there would need to be special home pages with news shortened for reading on a phone and the forums reshaped, again to be easier to surf. In all these, all graphics should be removed (background and avatars / signatures / full screen forum pictures), as transfer rates with phones generally are limated and can be expensive, thus this would be considerate.

Level 34
Here's a better answer that's also a question: Why the hell are you using an iPhone to visit a forum?

Unless you got Superman eyes, you'll never be able to read the forums on a little screen like that.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Like I said, if you cut out all the "art" on the sides and "size resctrictions" on certain parts, I am sure it will be quite usable.

For a start there is no need for 75-100 pixel borders when viewing on a mobiel device.
If you shrink the avatar area of a message by 50% and used reduced detail avatars (higher compression or half resolution (quarter size)) then you could probably read most messages easilly.

On the home page you can crop off all the content on the right of the page and place it below the news (also remove the borders or shrink them) so that it is not as wide.

The idea is to reduce the complexity of the pages and the size of them.

Level 13
well Dr. Super Good. I know it's a lot of work. But it really would be awesome, and all the features from the computer doesn't have to be in the app. It could be like the facebook one, where only the most important things are there. We wouldn't need avatars and that kinda things.

As i said, it would probably take a lot of time, but it would still be awesome :)
And ooh:
Here's a better answer that's also a question: Why the hell are you using an iPhone to visit a forum?

Unless you got Superman eyes, you'll never be able to read the forums on a little screen like that.
Theres something called zooming ;)

Level 13
There's also something called stop visiting hive with your iPhone. This may be news to you, but there isn't a bomb ready to trigger if you don't visit at least once every hour

You're nuts! :O How can you EVER say that?!?!?!?!?!?

Naah, just kidding :p But i like to check hive, when i want, especially if i'm bored its nice. Just so dam annoying that they havent made 3g for the touch -_-

Level 12
How do even zoom in with a touch? Its soo annoying. But it would be cool to browse the hive on the go, ya know? It would be handy for mods, since they could deal with a huge spam problem on the go if should one ever occur

Status
Not open for further replies.