• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Left 4 Dead v0.30

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: D4RE
This map is based on the game Left 4 Dead by Valvle.

There are two teams of 4 players.

Team one are The Survivors, which have to survive the waves of The Infected Horde.
team two are The Infected, who play Bosses of the Infected and who have to kill The Survivors.

While The Infected revieve after a short time, The Survivors leave the game if they die.
The Survivors can kill most of The Infected with a few shots, but if The Infected play well together, they can disturbe The Survivors a lot!

Left 4 Dead features a completly unique shooting system, which needs a short time to get used to, but which functions very well.
Each Survivor has a Pointer (yellow exclamation mark), which they can move around with the arrow keys.
If they use either the ability shoot or the ability shove, they will you this abilities towars the pointer.

"Shoot" will shoot towars the Pointer, while "Shove" will shove the enemies around you towars the Pointer.

Each Survivor starts with one Medikit, one Molotov Cocktail and one Pipe Bomb (which attracts normal Infected)

The Infected can choose between 3 Bosses:

The Hunter:
The Hunter is the strongest of the Bosses. He has the most HP and the most damage. Also, he is the fastest of the Infected. He has the ability to jump on his enemies, which stunns them. If he attacks an enemie, he gets stunned, so if you are attacked by a Hunter, you will need help from a team mate.

The Smoker:
The Smoker has the ability to use his tongue to pull Survivors towars him. They get damage and are unable to do anything while they are pulled. Only if another Survivor shoves the hit Survivor, he gets free. If the Smoker dies, smoke is created around him, which takes sight.

The Boomer:
The Boomer is the slowest of the Bosses. He can vomit on the Survivors, which decreases their armor a lot. If he dies, he explodes, which does very much damage.

The Survivors have to survive for a time, which is set by the host at the start of the game. If they survive this time, they win the game. If no Survivor is left, the Infected win.

I included an AI in the map, which will play every non-occupied slot. This means that the map is fully single-player capable.

The Infected AI will choose the types of Infected, and will use his Bosses' abilities (more or less) intelligent.

The Survivors will shoot at the enemies, help attacked team mates and use medikits.

The map is optimized, which also means that it is protected. If you want to study the map, PM me and I will send you an unprotected version.

Sometimes there are bugs with the "Tongue" - ability by the Smoker, but to say the truth, I don't really know what causes them. If you have a problem, please contact me and tell me in which situation exactly the bug appeared.

Credits for the map go to:

Models:
-abriko
-Kofi_Banan
-WILLTHEALMIGHTY
-HappyTauren
-Talon the Mage
-Ergius
-Ket
-JetFangInferno

Icons:
-HappyTauren
-SantoRayo[iP]

Game Idea and Loading Screen/Preview Image Art:
-Valve - Thanks for creating such a great game!

Features to-come:
For the next version I will include the Tank, which is a very strong Infected Boss who one Infected player gets randomly sometimes in the game.

UPDATE v0.30:
-Added Respawn ability to Infected to prevent getting stuck between trees.
-Fixed a bug with the Infected Spawn AI
-Fixed a bug which prevented you from using the Boomer
-Lightened the fog

Keywords:
left, 4, dead, left 4 dead, survival, survive, valve, four, left for dead, left four dead, for, infected, zombie, undead, survivor, survival, defense
Contents

Left 4 Dead v0.30 (Map)

Reviews
15:42, 31st Jul 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 2
Terrible map!

don't aim enemy

Only one way shooting

When i see the north and shoot,

shot gun is fire to south.

Level 3
@ FreshAir: Are you kidding? Newbie or not, always read instructions or descriptions of maps to be sure, that you understand it. If you havn't read it, then you are the only newb around here -.-

@ Solidus: The idea isn't that original but I like your Map and also the game^^ 4/5!

Level 4
First Update, already^^
I found a few bugs while testing, so I decided to make a hot fix. These are the changes:

-Added Respawn ability to Infected to prevent getting stuck between trees.
-Fixed a bug with the Infected Spawn AI
-Fixed a bug which prevented you from using the Boomer
-Lightened the fog
-Pointer Movement Info at the beginning of the game for those who are to lazy to read the Map Info^^

Level 5
Why doesnt the hunters do pounce damage? And Im really not gonna play a map like this. No wc3 map can recreate the mood there is in L4D.

Level 4
When the Hunter jumps on an enemy, he gets stunned and he gets damage.

To make the Pointer faster, press ESC. You can choose a speed between 1x and 5x.

//Edit: And yes, I know that the feeling cannot really be recreated, and I am not aimong to make a map that is better than the real Left 4 Dead ;) But in my opinion the gameplay is really cool, so I tried to reproduce something at least similar. The different skills of the Infected Bosses are really cool and they open a whole lot of possibilities.

Level 7
oh try making the point stay within 1000 range of your hero and ask Abriko if you can edit his marine to try and create a woman. also try using a light system to add horror because if you give a light like a torch the perma invis(or based on) ability, it will show the light to only the owner of the unit so try the script "call SetDayNightModels("","")" because it will be pitch black like Left 4 Dead

Level 19
1000 range ? it would be 300 mostly :/

Formula
X = Unit X + Max(MaxDist,Distance between unit and pointer)*Cos(Direction between Unit and Pointer)
Y = Unit Y + Max(MaxDist,Distance between unit and pointer)*Sin(Direction between Unit and Pointer)

Level 7
another thing, when zombies die, corpse build up and it starts to lag. try removing corpes after 3 seconds

• Remove
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Dying Unit)) Equal to Zombie
    • Actions
      • Wait 3.00 seconds
      • Unit - Remove (Dying Unit) from the game

Level 2
the Smoker, I tried to use the "tounge" ability but what happened is i dragged Bill out of the camp and he died but i wasnt the one who killed him!

Anyway Nice map you got there (^_^)
Hope the Tank will appear soon! :D

Level 31
Although it was a well develop map, there is a few thing that rather dissappoint me.

1) Difficulty Mode - This map does not have difficulty mode. At L4D, there is Easy/Normal/Advanced/Expert. As for this map, the only thing I seen was the setting the time limit.
2) Sound - You set up a echo, it is not only annoying but given me a headache as well. I know you are trying to make a horror environment, but please remove it or enable the user to switch it off if they do not like it.
3) AI - No matter which AI I set, Easy/Normal/Insane. It seems like all of it react the same way.
4) Camera - The moment my hero dies, my camera stay lock over it. The camera should be able to move freely upon death.
5) Pointer - The pointer should always close to the survivor. When the game crisis have reach the highest peak, it was really hard to seen where the pointer was especially when you are trying to move and attack at the same time.
6) Net/Machine Friendly - The amount of corpse in the map cause a serious lag even though it was play at single player. You should have the corpse remove after 5-10 seconds the creep has die.
7) No Medic - If this was suppose to be Finale, apart from the medic kit carry by player. There should be another pack of medic kit available at evacuation point.
8) No Painkiller - Where is painkiller? At left 4 dead, there is suppose a pain killer available.
9) No incapitated - Once my health reach 0, I am suppose to be incapitated. But from what I seen, I die and defeated right away. It make is feel like those mob and infected boss are stronger than witch (expert mode).
10) Too quick to explode - The pipe bomb explode soo quick that it blow off before it attract those creep.
11) Hunter pounce - When the hunter pounce, if eventually not only stun his target but also stun everybody who are nearby. This isn't suppose to work that way, infact the nearby survivor are suppose to shove away when the hunter pounce it's victim.
12) Weapon Variety - From what I seen, it seems like the only weapon available is shotgun. Where is rifle and hunting rifle?
13) Terrain could be better, especially outside the survivor base.
14) Hunter Jump - When hunter jump, they are suppose to able to jump non-stop and not only jump once. Once I use jump ability, my entire mana was depleted and I have to wait for quite a while before I can jump again. @_@
15) Balance - When playing this map for 30 minutes, the condition seems to be impossible for me because the need to use pointer, survivor only have 200 hp and there is only 1 medic kit.

There is actually a few more problem I would like to mention, but I think I mention quite a few.

The gameplay was fun for the first two time. But it get boring after awhile, it still lack a few feature and contain a few flaw.

My rating was 2/5.

Level 2
I have a good idea for the tank:
The tank can throw things right? well my idea is that when the tank throws a boulder, the survivors either seperate to avoid it or to shoot it.

The Problem:
If you would succeed in doing that the AI should be also edited at that point. And It will take a long time

Another:
The Boomer seems to attack very close, making it very easy to shove away. Make it attack a lil far away...

Level 4
So, thank you for all your feedback.

I will write down my thoughts to your comments, as well as to comments I got elsewhere.

1.) Adding additional weapons will be done, but this does not have first priority.
2.) Terrain will be done completly new (by someone else), there will be a city to go through, and in the end there will be a camp which has to be held for a while.
3.) The Tank will come.
4.) The Hunter will be edited as Septimus said. Good points, all of them.
5.) There will be more Items for the Survivors, together with the new terrain.
6.) Incapacitaded will be implemented.
7.) Witch will probably be implemented.
8.) Music will be implemented.
9.) Pipe Bomb will be redone completly.
10.) I'm trying to create a feeling similar to L4D, not to recreate L4D entirely.
11.) There will be more Blood, probably.
12.) There will be a Shouler-View as well as light sources.
13.) There will be a maximun distance for the pointer.
14.) There will be choosable difficulty settings.
15.) The corpses will be removed.
16.) CPU Easy, Normal, Insane will not have influence on the gameplay of the AI. This is because I'm investing my whole time in this point to make the AI as good as possible (without cheating!).
17.) I totally forgot the painkillers... shame on me. They will come.
18.) Balance: With a bit of training, you will see that the pointer system can be very effective. With the new terrain, there will be more than one medikits etc.

Thanks for all the comments!

Level 5
weeee!! left 4 dead map! I really love the game especially when your swarmed by hordes of zombies with you being snagged by smoker and being leaped by hunter..

reviews later after playin!! ^^

CDJ

CDJ

Level 1
Left 4 Dead...wow =] Not bad... 4/5 You need help with work on the map?

Level 4
I'm currently working on many different parts of the project, so the new version will take its time.

First, I created a Homepage, were you will be able to upload your score via a Code that the Map will generate for you.

Secondly, I'm totaly remading the terrain, which is a lot of work.

Thirdly, I'm creating a new shooting system, which has its problems, too.

And last but not least, I'm working on all the small bugs and stuff like this.

If you want to help, I'm happy to accept it. Feel free to write me a PM with the area that you would like to work on.

Level 7
At the state the map is right now, you just took a very good game like left 4 dead and turned it into complete bullsh** (please excuse me for my rudeness, but this is just bad).

My short review:
Gameplay: 6/20
Fun - 4/10
Interest - 2/10
Graphics: 7/10
Quality: 4/10
Playability: 2/10

Overall: 19/50 (38%)
Verdict: Disaproved (below 60%)
Rating: 1/5

If you don't have a double cored processor and a nice video card, don't bother playing this.

Constructive critisism?

Next version will probably include a new aiming-technique.

It will work entirely over the mouse, with double/single clicks etc.

I'm currently working on many different parts of the project, so the new version will take its time.

First, I created a Homepage, were you will be able to upload your score via a Code that the Map will generate for you.

Secondly, I'm totaly remading the terrain, which is a lot of work.

Thirdly, I'm creating a new shooting system, which has its problems, too.

And last but not least, I'm working on all the small bugs and stuff like this.

If you want to help, I'm happy to accept it. Feel free to write me a PM with the area that you would like to work on.

Yeah , you should do that. And much more.
The first thing that comes to mind is that your code of the zombies entering the arena is awful (when they jump in). Laggs terribly... Completely unplayable.

Edit: oh, and when I first saw the map, I thought like: "It's l4d! Why does this map have a rating 3/5? It can't be THAT bad!"

Level 4
I played this map and liked it, with a few exceptions.

First off, I feel the need to echo the need to remove units a few seconds after death. The game is barely(if at all) playable as the survivors while the unit corpses are building up.

Again, as somebody else pointed out, the lag spots (besides the corpse issue) seem to be when the zombies spawn and when they jump. I am not really an expert on this, but I am pretty sure that creating alot of units at once is what the problem is for the spawn. So, I came up with an idea. (dont know how well it would work.) Spawn 1/4 of the zombies and tell them to attack survivors. When they get a certain distance away, spawn another 1/4. Keep doing this until all the zombies have spawned. Don't know how well it would work, just an idea. I don't have an idea for the jumping thing though, sorry.

Thats all I have now.

Level 1
Jeah a new zombie survival map

I´ll test it and give you a revivew

~ And yet, he never did...why ? : because this map is pure rejection material.

* For actual information, see post #17.

- Rating : N/A

- Voting for : Rejection!