• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Kingdom Fall v1.0

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.

Kingdom Fall

Introduction:

Kingdom Fall is an altered melee map. It heavily focuses on tactical unit placement and army size. Your fortress is protected by walls and gates that only you are able to open. From within these walls you harvest resources and build up your army.

Gameplay:
Main objective
As in most melee maps your goal is to reduce your enemies to smithereens. That is also the goal in this map. Nothing new here.

Be strategic
Since units go down quickly you want to position your army so you get the advantage. Archers should be standing behind the line of skirmish or they will get overrun in seconds. Same goes for infantry and cavalry. These units will do no good from the backline, and unless they can defend your ranged units you will quickly find yourself in a tough spot.

Higher ground also plays a major role when engaging in combat. All units have 25% chance to miss (completely) when attacking uphill, so archers standing on higher ground will steamroll archers in the bottom of a vale.

Units
All units can gain ranks just like heroes. They will gain better attribute points and get higher critical strike and evasion when they level up.

There are four primary unit types to control.
-The Footman is the typical frontline combatant. They protect ranged units so they can do they job uninterrupted.
-Bowman is your typical ranged unit. They can shoot very far but are also very fragile. If engaged directly they stand little chance. They even have a minimum firing range.
-Knights are they heavy cavalry. Fast but expensive. They can be used as the Footman but are actually much better to flank enemy archers or siege weapons.
-Catapult's primary function is to break down the enemy's fortress walls. They shoot a long distance but are very slow at both movement and firing speed.

Generally units attack slowly but pack quite a punch. So if your units are caught off guard the will go down fast.

Features:

-9 Fortresses. One is randomly given to the player at the beginning.
-Large scale battles. Food limit raised to 200 and no unit costs more than 3 food.
-Improved unit control. You can control every unit of a type at the same time by simply ordering one of that unit type.
-Tactic driven battles. Placing your units better than your enemy can easily turn the battle to you advantage.
-3 Commanders to choose from. Each fills a different role and each enhances your army in one way or another.

Creator's Notes:

I wanted to create a melee type of map with a more realistic approach, and that is the reason for the long attack cooldowns and attack range of ranged units.
With realism in mind I really wanted unit placement to play a major role in combat. So I made ranged units very weak, because they lack armor, which makes you place them in the back. Frontliners like the Footmen can use Defend to deflect 80% of incoming arrows so the enemy cannot solely rely on Bowmen. Again to add to the realism.

Early in the map process I concluded that high ground could add further to this setting. Which is the reason to why this came to also play a big role in the map.

Solution9

Screenshots:
202017-albums6529-picture70860.png

Changelog:
v1.0
-Release

Credits:

Chriz., Kitabatake, olofmoleman

Special Thanks:
Hive Workshop
Feedback is appreciated
Please rate and comment

Keywords:
Kingdom Fall, Kingdom, Fall, Kingdomfall, Solution9, Solu9, OnlyAddicted, Altered Melee, Melee, Large, Scale, Realism, Realistic, Fortress, Army,
Contents

Kingdom Fall v1.0 (Map)

Reviews
19:41, 28th Jun 2013 Orcnet:
Level 30
I like the idea of your gameplay but please help yourself, make up a quest menu on everything on how to play, changelog, credits, and all.

import the missing disbitn icons because they turn such imported icons into green which is bad, some hero has no description it say 'missing' any else do please fix those and vm me after so I can approve.

The information given here should be enough. I realize that today's dumbed down games always give you hints according to whatever you do. I do not approve.
The missing disbin files are actually Blizzard's fault. I have not used any imported icons whatsoever, and I believe the icons I have chosen fits very well to what they are supposed to represent. I am a little annoyed that they turn green, but since it will not change the gameplay in any way, I chose to use them anyway.

I can see, as you wrote, that the Commanders do not have descriptions and some of the abilities they can learn do not have mana cost, or cooldowns. That is of course a glitch and will be corrected. As will the credits. I have totally forgotten to add them ingame, and that will be done.

Lastly I would like to know if the changes I want to implement is enough to get the map approved. If not, I won't even bother changing anything.