• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Just a little help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Seeing how most skins at this site is of rather low quality :( and mostly CnP and recolours, i decided to try helping people a little out, hoping to make people improve their skins.

So i recorded one of my own skins, at least part of it. So you might get an idea of how it can be done

I encourage other good skinners (like EvilYardGnome, Insomnia Graphics etc.) to do this as well.
You can find a trial recording program at www.techsmith.com

you can find the video here (52mb)
you will need the divx codec

Level 17
mhhh....

i dont think u can help ppl while they watching ure example.....

i watched it :roll: and its hard to follow ure steps...

and at all u need lots of drawing and painting skills to make this one ... what i said ... it didnt really help noobies...or amateurs :cry:

but one question ... did u use your own brushes or are these just the standart ps brushes ?

Level 17
what i want to add:

its much more difficult to do freehand on a skin who is not so big as yours ... (ure skins are x5 bigger than normal) when u only got few pixels to shade an ear or whatever...

------------------------------------------------

i always view what i am painting at the moment , on the model immediately cause i think u should keep in mind that i should loook good in game

Level 8
I tried a similar approach to "improving" people's skins, saying to work on them, and quality over quantity and all that, but I got no replies. It's frustrating where I'll work say 3-4 or more hours on a skin and someone draws some squiggles on a freaking arm and says its a skin. And not only that it's just an ugly smudge here and there. I have 6 skins on here right now because that's all I am satistfied with for download right now. I see people with 30 or 40 skins on here and 95 percent of them could be done in under 10 minutes. At least perseverence will pay off for us harder working skinners. I have 3 of mine in the top 15 on the front now. Without even dl'ing it myself like some other crappy skins which shall remain nameless surely do.

Level 3
these skins are awesome, and that giger-like style is just knocking me off :D (pity that most of the game-time no one actually gets to notice the details of the skins). keep up the great work!

now, i have some questions concerning that video:
  • did you use your mouse to draw that?
  • you seem to use a layer for dodging and a layer for burning. how did you make them turn out so smooth, yet drawing so few strokes? (the skin im working on at the moment is scaled up to a 4x resolution :shock: to hide the brush-strokes)
  • do you use any layer-styles when you've finished drawing?
  • how exactly did you manage to stain the teeth/darken the forehead without changing anything in the tools palette (that is, using the dodge tool only)?

and if you could post your brush settings, that would help me a great deal, really. *feeling a bit clumsy now, due to that video* :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.